• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sequel to Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Being Planned

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
More Ippo is always a fabulous thing. I love this show.

Hm, this season seemed to be more about the side characters than Ippo himself. The first part focused on Date, and the second part on Takamura. I may be forgetting something from the very early part of the season though.

Looking forward to it!
kam182

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
That's excellent news!

Hajime No Ippo is my favorite shonen show hands down!
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
And I thought an Original Mai Hime sequel is in the works! Darnit!
zmagnum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, More Ippo is always a welcome sight.

Has there been any noise about New Challenger getting a North American release yet?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see another season of Fighting Spirit on the way. I don't watch the show, but it's always nice to see long titles get more material animated.

zmagnum wrote:

Has there been any noise about New Challenger getting a North American release yet?

Considering how poorly the first season sold (and some actual numbers (so to speak) were thrown out too - it sold really poorly), I wouldn't hold my breath for any subsequent seasons of Fighting Spirit to get licensed anytime soon, if ever.
Maciste

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
OMG, awesome news! I was kinda disappointed when I found out that New Challenger is only going to be 26 eps. I was hoping for a follow up and now my prayers have been answered!

This news made my day! Thanks you so much, ANN!
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
zmagnum wrote:

Just to repeat what someone said, no, and I doubt it ever will.
The original was actually the worst seller ever for Geneon, and I mean by a long way. If you do a little digging, you'll probably find the sales figures they released, which were laughable at best.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Great news. At least if its too risky to license, we can still sample the subs.

Now, if some one would give One Outs and Baccano another season, I'd be doing somersaults.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they are making another season. Especially when they still need to develop Itagaki. Especially after spoiler[his crappy debut, even though I know he avenges his loss a year later in HnI time and goes on to beat Imai in a controversial decision.] He's one of my top favorite characters. Plus I can't wait to see Ippo vs Sawamura, that's one of the very few fights I was actually frightened by Ippo.

And from the sounds of it, it seems like Koyama Rikiya will still play Takamura, I love him in the role. I wonder what they will call the next installment, "Championship Edition?" "Turbo?" "Third Strike?"

As for an American release, I think FUNi can pull it off. I think they got the image and the marketing skills to make it appealing to a broader audience.

As for another season of One Outs, I heard the manga ended some time ago. Does that anime installment not cover the entire manga or something?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jedimaster5000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
yeahhh, more Ippo, I can't wait...it will be very nice if they keep on having the anime to the very end (unlike some others).

BTW, is it true that manga really finished? I may as well see for myself
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
As for an American release, I think FUNi can pull it off. I think they got the image and the marketing skills to make it appealing to a broader audience.

I really doubt FUNi would even touch the original show due to its horrid sales over here. Also, with the one sports show that they are releasing over here, Big Windup/Ookiku Furikabutte, FUNi seems to be avoiding calling it a sports anime... Even though it is. I guess if something like Oofuri can sell well enough then maybe Ippo could have a second chance, but I really doubt it.

Quote:
As for another season of One Outs, I heard the manga ended some time ago. Does that anime installment not cover the entire manga or something?

Hell no. The original One Outs manga was 19 volumes and there's no way that 25 episodes can adapt 19 volumes ever. Akagi and Kaiji were able to adapt 12 & 13 volumes in 25 and 26 episodes, respectively, but even that's kind of pushing it. I'd guess that the anime only covers, at most, 9 or 10 volumes-worth of the manga.

In fact, there is a One Outs sequel being made right now called the "Enthralling All-Stars Edition", which I guess covers the All-Star game... The anime only covers the first month of the baseball season in the story, and the championship is only mentioned throughout it. Hopefully a Season 2 will be made that will cover the rest of the manga; the anime ends with a nice lead-in to it, so I hope that means it had good ratings.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that New Challenger is getting a sequel, but the series just hasn't been the same due to Tsuneo Imahori's absence. I sincerely wish they'd bring him back. Yoshihisa Hirano mailed in his score by comparison, and as a result the music in New Challenger sucks. Out loud.

Similarly, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is also suffering from the absence of the original composer. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Odd_shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
At least the 3rd season can't get worse than the 2nd one, I can't help but feel this entire season was a filler, It's called Hajime no Ippo and in this season he did nothing, he learned maybe 2 things and half-assed at best and that's about it, even Naruto King of fillers hasn't pulled something like this yet, I'm so not satisfied in the least.

Given the quality was good, better than any Naruto filler but it still filler. If they'd call it Takamura the Challenger up front then it would be different, but they chose not to so the main focus should have been Ippo and it was clearly not, he was even more a side character than Itagaki or even Kero-michi.

I would have been more satisfied if they already worked out more on the weakness of the Dempsey Roll or at least more with the relationship with Kumi but even that was bare-bone and near the end.

I'm not surprised sales hasn't turned out well, I call this anime style "ugly" style, just like Baki, Kaiji and Akagi, I have nothing against this style, actually I'm quite fond of it, it's quite different compared to all the other styles you have, the style is what got me interested in the first place, it's a very daring style and it says enough to people that know a thing or 2 but it's not a crowd-pleasing style like Deathnote or GitS but it suit the story quite well.

I'm looking forward to season 3 but I really hope it won't turn out like this 2nd season, I just watched all 26 episodes in 2 days so I remember quite vividly and it came nowhere near the excitement I had when watching the first season.
57odd75

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Odd_shapeshifter wrote:
At least the 3rd season can't get worse than the 2nd one, I can't help but feel this entire season was a filler, It's called Hajime no Ippo and in this season he did nothing, he learned maybe 2 things and half-assed at best and that's about it, even Naruto King of fillers hasn't pulled something like this yet, I'm so not satisfied in the least.

Given the quality was good, better than any Naruto filler but it still filler. If they'd call it Takamura the Challenger up front then it would be different, but they chose not to so the main focus should have been Ippo and it was clearly not, he was even more a side character than Itagaki or even Kero-michi.

I would have been more satisfied if they already worked out more on the weakness of the Dempsey Roll or at least more with the relationship with Kumi but even that was bare-bone and near the end.

I'm not surprised sales hasn't turned out well, I call this anime style "ugly" style, just like Baki, Kaiji and Akagi, I have nothing against this style, actually I'm quite fond of it, it's quite different compared to all the other styles you have, the style is what got me interested in the first place, it's a very daring style and it says enough to people that know a thing or 2 but it's not a crowd-pleasing style like Deathnote or GitS but it suit the story quite well.

I'm looking forward to season 3 but I really hope it won't turn out like this 2nd season, I just watched all 26 episodes in 2 days so I remember quite vividly and it came nowhere near the excitement I had when watching the first season.

The second season is not filler. It's all in the manga. Considering the first season also did not have any fillers, there were fights not involving Ippo. It's what makes the series great. All Ippo all the time would get tiresome, at least for me.

I do agree there's something off about New Challenger. I don't know what it is, but the atmosphere is not as enjoyable as the first season (and I've watched the first season several times). Maybe it's due to having a different director. In any case, I can't complain, as long as the episodes keep coming.
jaynand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:48 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
More Ippo is always a fabulous thing. I love this show.

Hm, this season seemed to be more about the side characters than Ippo himself. The first part focused on Date, and the second part on Takamura. I may be forgetting something from the very early part of the season though.

Looking forward to it!

you are totally correct, Hajimme no ippo one of the best anime out there please dont end it for you fans, it has given ,me lots of inspiration please make a sequel! Arigatou!!!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2