• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Acquires Blade of the Immortal Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I haven't read the manga (though I hear it is very good) nor seen the anime. But I figured this would get licensed. What I didn't expect is a bunch of negative posts about it. Now I did read some reviews of the first episodes when it first came out, and they were pretty positive. So color me surprised.

I just wonder how much of this is the actual show hate, or Bee Train/Production IG hate. Hopefully the latter.

On the ratings so far the 44 people who rated it very good have had a higher trustworthiness score than 45 people who rated it good.

The hate stems from the show itself. Like I said, I can't make the comparison myself having not read the work, but from what I've heard it's just like the Tsukihime anime, where too much is changed that it's just better off when you ignore it. The story barely focuses on Manji, it's mostly this girl who wants revenge for something that happened in her past, and Manji tags along sometimes killing something. That's pretty much it. As I said, I reckon it's decent if you haven't read the manga.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I haven't read the manga (though I hear it is very good) nor seen the anime. But I figured this would get licensed. What I didn't expect is a bunch of negative posts about it. Now I did read some reviews of the first episodes when it first came out, and they were pretty positive. So color me surprised.

I just wonder how much of this is the actual show hate, or Bee Train/Production IG hate. Hopefully the latter.

First of all, "a bunch of negative posts"? I'm the only person to have said anything negative, and I haven't seen the show, I was just expressing extreme trepidations about whether the manga could be well-adapted into an anime.

Second, I have zero Production I.G. hate. I love that studio. Bee Train, on the other hand, adapted Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, and the less said on that the better. Hence my fears that they'll botch this up too.

For me, personally, it's the reduction of the art that worries me most. Samura's work is heavily detailed, very cinematic and realistic, and from the art I've seen for it, they did their best but it's still lost most of the signature style of the manga that is at least half of what makes the series fantastic.

That and, of course, at 13 episode it'll barely cover the beginning of the manga (22nd volume comes out in July stateside). So... why not just read the manga? Unlike Tsukihime (the lost-in-adaptation example cited above, which I actually enjoyed), Blade of the Immortal has been available for years, is easy to find, and it's been released well past what the anime will cover.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:53 am Reply with quote
Ouch. Big mistake...
I'm sure Media Blasters must have been chuffed they'd got such a show before the likes of FUNi, but's it for a reason.
To begin with, the manga is brilliant, sadly, Beetrain, as with anything they touch, has managed to create one of the crappiest attempts at the samurai genre in some time.
It also doesn't help when the vast majority of the gore and violence has been toned down, something that is a major part of the manga.
Ah well, I hope this does well for MB since I like them as a company.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

On the ratings so far the 44 people who rated it very good have had a higher trustworthiness score than 45 people who rated it good.

Well I can safely say it's simply show hate in my case, because I'm a big Bee Train fan, but was rather disappointed with this show.

Quote:
Bee Train, on the other hand, adapted Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, and the less said on that the better. Hence my fears that they'll botch this up too.

Lemme guess that's the only series you've seen by them.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Quote:
Bee Train, on the other hand, adapted Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, and the less said on that the better. Hence my fears that they'll botch this up too.

Lemme guess that's the only series you've seen by them.

No, I did attempt to watch Noir, and after falling asleep at the end of the first episode decided against it. Laughing I know, it's unfair to hate on a studio for one series. They also did work on Honey and Clover, which I loved (release it, Viz!). And since the manga itself has gone so thoroughly south lately, I shouldn't even hold TRC against them... but it's such an awful series!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2