• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Volume: 1st Half of 2009

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Bleach 37 has 39's cover picture...but other than that it's nice to see a manga list that actually has variety and isn't dominated by Naruto!
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, in a Japan-based list you'll barely see Naruto in the top of anything..heh.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Either way, it's still interesting that there are more Naruto and Bleach books (3 for each series) on the list than One Piece even though it takes the top 2 spots. To me, it seems One Piece has a broader appeal for the Japanese audience, while the likes of Naruto and Bleach have more of an otaku following.
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see something other than shounen make it into the top 3 and estatic that it's NANA^^

Didn't realize Naruto wasn't as popular in Japan, kind of glad to learn that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that the 2nd volume of K-On! didn't appear somewhere towards the bottom of the list.

Even with the hype from the anime version (and the popularity of the theme songs on the charts), I guess it's still an otaku niche title.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
There are some interesting titles that I hadn't heard of on the list, the most bizarre being Saint Young Men.

Quote:
Buddha, the spiritually awakened, and Jesus, son of God share an apartment in Tachikawa, Tokyo taking a secret vacation to the mortal plane.

What I wouldn't give for that to be licensed!
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, in Japan, Naruto is definitely a top title, but by no means the top title it is here in the Sates.

And then there are titles in here that are virtually unheard of in the US . . . I'm with marie-antoinette, I want Saint Young Men on my bookshelf, preferably in a language I can understand! x[)
bossyman15

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
are there any data about USA sales? I'm curious what manga sold the best in USA.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
Either way, it's still interesting that there are more Naruto and Bleach books (3 for each series) on the list than One Piece even though it takes the top 2 spots. To me, it seems One Piece has a broader appeal for the Japanese audience, while the likes of Naruto and Bleach have more of an otaku following.
That's because One Piece only had 2 new volumes release in the period covered. Very Happy

OP 54 just came out in the last couple weeks and, as such, missed the May 17 cutoff to be included. If it were included, after only one week of sales, it would have been in 4th place, just barely ahead of FMA 21.
Shuchung

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:

More like teenage boys exclusive, while One Piece reach audience of all age.
Taker128

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:

Actually, otaku are moving away from Naruto and Bleach if anything.

Most of the people I know from Chinese and Asian forums, have dropped both title and only follows OP now and they are all people that have followed all three since their individual debut 8-10 years ago. Like me most of them are on the wrong side of 20s but OP is still appealling to us just as other Senen type manga.

Om the other hand, this list show that OP is untouchable in Japan and the only series that's even close is NANA, but as a Shojo manga, it only realeases 2-3 volume a year compare to the usual 4 volumes per year for Shounen manga. Way I see it there are 4 sales catagory right now:

Legendary (about 1.5 mil per volume): OP, Nana

Superstars (about 1.0 mil per volume): FMA, Nodame, Bleach, Naruto.

Stars (500,000 to 750,000): Reborn, Gintama, Glass no Kamen, xxxHolic, etc

and......

Everybody else!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1