• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Detroit Metal City GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
Ooh, so it's tattoos it comes with! I haven't actually seen a large picture of the english cover so it was hard for me to read the writing that said what it came with...I thought it said 'poster' or something.
Good review, btw.
This series mostly amuses me because my older sister used to be right into death metal. She swears up and down those days were a figment of my imagination.
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote
review wrote:
Unfortunately, the first volume does not answer the one question that any even remotely critical reader of this review or the book itself will by dying to ask: How in the heck did Soichi end up in Detroit Metal City in the first place?

I think the question most of us will be asking instead is "when does 'Tokyo Tower' show up?"

Regardless, the anime was absolutely hilarious and if the manga is half as good then it's a surefire purchase for me.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
Good to know that it has a good review. I've been interested in this series ever since I've read the Astro Toy columns that feature Krauser cameos.

Maybe I'll have to pick it up sometime. Very Happy
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Shirogane wrote:
Good to know that it has a good review. I've been interested in this series ever since I've read the Astro Toy columns that feature Krauser cameos.

Maybe I'll have to pick it up sometime. Very Happy

I've been interested in DMC because of the action figures too. The magical girl comparison in the review was great. Does anyone know if the translation is fairly accurate or is it an Americanized adaption? A lot of the humor seems Americanized to me, but it fits in so well with the story and artwork I really can't tell. The wimpy-guy-is-actually-awesome-death-metal-frontman setup is hilarious--very much like a parody of shounen conventions like wimpy guy is actually the center of a harem or wimpy guy is actually the pilot of an awesome giant robot. Though my favorite character so far is Camus I love his weird otaku-like offstage look and his even weirder creepy pervert offstage behavior.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy this manga Very Happy
I hope that Viz will license the live-action movie too.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Casey Brienza wrote:
Viz Media's release of Detroit Metal City, released as part of the Viz Signature line, has been printed in a larger than average trim size...

Uh, no, DMC is part of their Viz Media line, as is other releases like Black Lagoon. Do not see this intersecting with the intent of Viz's Signature line.

Still a bit torn on picking up the manga, though I do find it amusing that a death metal band wears corpse paint (more of a reference to Gene Simmons than black metal, I guess).
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
[quote="HellKorn"]
Casey Brienza wrote:
Viz Media's release of Detroit Metal City, released as part of the Viz Signature line, has been printed in a larger than average trim size...

Uh, no, DMC is part of their Viz Media line, as is other releases like Black Lagoon. Do not see this intersecting with the intent of Viz's Signature line.
quote]

Personally, I thought it was part of the Media until when I was at a book store and saw that it has new signature mark on binding. The same thing goes with Black Lagoon latest release. What's with that?
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
if the manga is as funny as the anime, then it's a no brainer imo. i've never laughed so hard watching anime before.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Bastard is cool.
I have no plans to continue with this one. It's nowhere as much fun as Spinal Tap.
We have HAD more than 1 nice guy fronting metal bands. Peter Criss's heart was always more Rod Stewart than Kiss which aided in his leaving the band. How many times has Alice Cooper proclaimed what a nice guy he actually is around the house? Alice would kill Krauser & had incredible lyrics. Ozzy's incoherant, but cooler than this. Motorhead lyrics are more coherant than this. King Diamond was a card carrying Satanist & still made more sense than this.

And the art drove me crazy. God, can we get at least the Kiss Comics? The really bad Kiss in Howard the Duck was better if my memory serves me right.

We know Japanese can do killer satire. Mihara's Haunted House buts a fairly normal type in a macabre setting.
Maybe being an actual headbanger for 30 yrs (not into death metal) makes me more finicky.
Maybe my sights are set a bit high having just finished the first 2 volumes of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei followed by vol 5 & 6 of Fairy Tail but finishing this was a struggle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1