• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Old Boy Publisher Sues Korean Studio Over U.S. Film Rights

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Good for the original publisher. It sounds like they were left out of the deal for the American remake. Especially since Smith opened his mouth and said it was based on the book, you would think they would have contacted the publisher over this instead of just dealing with the film studio. I'm sick of film studios screwing over the original book owners.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Somebody must be saying "Aw hell no!" about now.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
good point Xenos. I hadn't thought that there'd be an issue but it sort of makes sense.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
An Alan Moore purist like myself didn't get to see Watchmen snuffed out by studio disputes, and I felt bad about that; An anime enthusiast like myself didn't get to see Dragonball Evolution vaulted due to low test scores and bad budgeting, and I felt bad about that; Maybe with Oldboy, which I am fundamentally against because there is no way Smith would do *that type* of ending, the third time is the charm and something will halt production.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
If they're adapting the manga rather than remaking the film, '*that type* of ending' is not an issue.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
If they're adapting the manga rather than remaking the film, '*that type* of ending' is not an issue.

Wait, there's no spoiler[incest] in the manga? None? Did the Korean film really change it that much??
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

Wait, there's no spoiler[incest] in the manga? None? Did the Korean film really change it that much??

Yes.

So what does this mean for the American remake?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Man talk about odd coincidences. I'm reading 'Astral Project' and was reading the info on the back of the book about the 'Eisner Award' and how we should REALLY get the rest in and then this comes up.

That's pretty bad. I would have thought that the matter of legality had been taken care of. This was announced months ago and seemed like a go. Now - there's a lawsuit. I wonder the Korean studio expected to gain from their actions without the consent of the original creators?

Well, plus on the creators part. Have to protect their works.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

Seriously? What else did they change for the film adaption?
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, the only thing worse than narrow-minded fanboys is, obscure uninformed CLOSED-minded fanboys.

Pretty much, MOST that you fear would be changed from your "precious" Korean "masterpiece" was actually a complete bastardization of what was in the original manga.

I'm not sure what's more interesting.... calling a Korean movie I fell asleep on a "masterpiece", or implying that some Korean "hardcore" HACK has even a fraction of the level of talent of Spielberg and that the current Will Smith is in anyway inferior to any K-actor anywhere... ever... -_-

I'm guessing, a lot of obscure, close-minded, uninformed fanboys are going to be taken by surprise with the finished product of this project.
Maciste

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
The more I'm reading through your post, the more I get the impression, that in reality, you're the close-minded one you are permanently speaking of.
RJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of Hollywood remakes in general, but at least it wont be based off the weakest of the 3 trilogy films and one of the WORST Korean films I've ever seen.
Sue 'em!
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
In my opinion, the only thing worse than narrow-minded fanboys is, obscure uninformed CLOSED-minded fanboys.

Pretty much, MOST that you fear would be changed from your "precious" Korean "masterpiece" was actually a complete bastardization of what was in the original manga.

I'm not sure what's more interesting.... calling a Korean movie I fell asleep on a "masterpiece", or implying that some Korean "hardcore" HACK has even a fraction of the level of talent of Spielberg and that the current Will Smith is in anyway inferior to any K-actor anywhere... ever... -_-

I'm guessing, a lot of obscure, close-minded, uninformed fanboys are going to be taken by surprise with the finished product of this project.

well i haven't read the manwha, but the movie ending was damn brilliant.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
the movie is a masterpiece. i bought the r1 limited 3 dvd tin set. if you fell asleep during it, then you don't know what's good.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:

How can you call Park Chan-wook a hack just because he didn't stay true to the manga? Is Herzog also a hack because his Nosferatu is very different from Bram Stoker's novel or Ridley Scott because of Blade Runner. Although Oldboy manga is pretty good I think I liked the movie better. And besides, although I like many Spielberg movies I like Park's "Vengeance trilogy" more than most of his movies and more the acting in those more than any of Will Smith's roles.

Or maybe I think this way just because I'm Finnish and don't need an American version for everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2