• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Sacred Blacksmith Anime's Promo Video Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
Oooo, who would thunk manglobe would animate this type of series? I expect some kickass swordfighting and nice outfits for Cecily.
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Looks perdy! I like the character design. You know, I am a huge fantasy geek, but there have been very very few fantasy anime that I've actually enjoyed. I have some hopes for this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Because of Ergo Proxy, I'd check out virtually anything manglobe was involved with. I love those guys, man.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Looks great, and I agree, there don't seem to be -too- many great fantasy series out there. Can't wait to see where this goes, though! And I too am loving the character design, although I could do without Cecily's maid-esque headband.

Jadress, might I suggest Romeo x Juliet (o hay, ANN ads), Scrapped Princess, and Sisters of Wellber?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Jacut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Manglobe's productions are becoming worse and worse. Every new production is weaker than the previous one (Samurai Champloo >> Ergo Proxy > Michiko to Hatchin), and this one seems awful, simple as that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Wow, Manglobe's productions are becoming worse and worse. Every new production is weaker than the previous one (Samurai Champloo >> Ergo Proxy > Michiko to Hatchin), and this one seems awful, simple as that.

Funny, I would rate those in almost exactly the opposite order. Michiko to Hatchin is amazing, Samurai Champloo was okay-but-prime-time-mediocrity, and Ergo Proxy had me falling asleep right after looking for the Sci-Fi channel logo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Good.More medieval fantasy anime.Less moe saturation.
Scamp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I saw both a moe character and a panty flash in that video. Is this really Manglobe?
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
It's manglobe, so I believe it will be at least watchable. The trailer looks like easy, fluffy fun, and that's definitely better than aiming too high Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
This will be Manglobe's first work based on previously-written material. I've loved all their stuff for different reasons and in different ways, and the animation for this looks astounding.

...but in what way is this an "unconventional fantasy"? The plot and the trailer seem utterly conventional to me. Guy with cursed powers and his female sidekick(s?) fight monsters with plenty of fanservice... what's so new here?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:

Yeah, it's almost like they want to become GONZO 2.0 or something. Heck, the director of The Sacred Blacksmith worked with GONZO before on the crapfest Linebarrels of Iron. Not to mention the pedigree of the other staff members is less-than-stellar.

Since it's manglobe, I'll be checking this out because it should at least be animated well; but I have to agree with you that it looks generic (read: awful). Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

Last edited by Jedi General on Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...but in what way is this an "unconventional fantasy"? The plot and the trailer seem utterly conventional to me. Guy with cursed powers and his female sidekick(s?) fight monsters with plenty of fanservice... what's so new here?

Maybe it's written without capital letters and punctuation.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The animation, as per standard with Manglobe looks stellar. Although it seems to be quite a departure in style than their normal fare. I must say I am one who also looks for some good fantasy anime, though after the preview I am not so confident with this one. I will say the last part of the preview looks great and gives me some hope that this will be more than just cheap trash in expensive clothing. I guess I can't imagine it being that bad (after all cute and good are not mutually exclusive), but I guess these days anything is possible.

Labbes wrote:

Laughing
Yeah, I remember the day when ANN used to enforce such things (it is in the rules), but now I think it is tolerated to write as if you are twelve (even if you aren't). They should probably remove that rule.
edit:
Jedi General wrote:
Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

I think it is just a wee bit early to be declaring such things don't you. Not saying this won't turn out bad, but we just don't have enough to go on yet. Unless you've read the light novels and know something we don't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Quote:

I feel like an idiot for asking what the joke is here; maybe I should just pretend I get it. But here I go being a fool: Japanese doesn't have capital letters, so I know you've got to be referring to something else.

Also, shall I take it that the enmity for Michiko & Hatchin comes from its ending, which I've not seen yet? Because so far I consider it their strongest work yet.

Comparing Manglobe to GONZO is a downright joke. While no Manglobe piece has reached the heights of, say, Gankutsuou, they've yet to do anything that even remotely approaches the abysmal depths of, say Dragonaut. I doubt even this new series, as generic as it looks, will be as bad as that fanservice-infested, unintentionally funny, badly animated disaster.
Tratious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
i like their work good luck to them with this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2