• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 18-m Tetsujin 28/Gigantor Statue's Construction Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
First the gundam and now this? I hope Japan is not thinking that constructing giant robots in real life can really solve their social and economic problems...
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
No, but I think it would certainly be a sort of morale booster for the people in general. Something to feel proud of.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
Awesome, now the Gundam and Gigantor can duke it out in the streets of Japan!
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
This is small as giant Japanese statues go. They have a 110 meter-tall Buddha statue in Ibaraki Prefecture, built in 1995, if Wikipedia is to be trusted.
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Mobile Police Patlabor, The Sky Crawlers) wrote and directed a stage play adaptation of the manga with a six-meter-tall (20-foot-tall) robot replica earlier this year

Oh man, I wish I could've seen that.

The statue is awesome too, it feels a little odd watching people working on something like that.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Awesome, now the Gundam and Gigantor can duke it out in the streets of Japan!

As exciting as that would be, if there was to be a clear victor out of the two belligerents, there'd be an outcry from fans of the loser.
(Much like the Conan vs Lupin film, only larger in physical scale.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Japan is being dominated by giant statues one franchise at a time! Next The Super Galaxy Dai-Gurren statue, fallowed by the giant space ship boat (Starlight) from Odin. One at another japan will run out of land mass because of over sized statues. But seriously, I really want to see this someday. It's crazy to think someone actually spent 1.40 million dollars on this project. Who ever thought up this idea must really love Gigantor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Who ever thought up this idea must really love Gigantor.

And how can they not? Tetsujin 28 is one of the greatest Anime ever xP

Anyway, seriously though, it only takes one statue to get the ball rolling and then it just snowballs from there. Japan it seems though does have a desire to commemorate the "local person done good" and such. Statues seem to be a good way to that, sure. And perhaps it whould lead to increased tourism too, I don't know. Anyway, it looks awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1