• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Glassy Ocean

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Of the anime covered in Buried Treasure so far, this is one of the few I really didn't like. In fact, I would say it was probably the worst one I've seen other than Genocyber (out of about 45 I've seen). I just found it really boring, and the art didn't impress me at all. I think I was watching a bunch of other short, artistic anime at the time, including a bunch by Osamu Tezuka and a bunch by Studio 4°C that I really liked, so maybe comparing Glassy Ocean to those made it seem worse to me.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
I found the fansub for this really easily and am downloading it now to check it out. Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I like it.

It would be awfully nice to get a collection of something like "The Best Short Films of Anime" or something in a nice affordable package.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to look into anime that are a little experimental, like this, for a while. I should start looking into it starting with this one, the article piqued my interest.

Hopefully I can find a way to watch this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:52 am Reply with quote
Anyone who likes this one owes it to themselves to also watch The Diary of Tortov Roddle.
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quote
Hey, I recognize the images from this anime! They're also used on the covers of the "New Crown" series of junior high school English textbooks in Japan. Weird coincidence.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Anyone who likes this one owes it to themselves to also watch The Diary of Tortov Roddle.

Agreed. Love that short. I don't think I could manage to write a whole article about it, however. Maybe if I someday do a short film special...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The idea of the ocean as glass isn't a new one; rather it's something of a cliché at this point, but I've never before seen the idea taken quite so literally nor so far.

It is? You're gong to have to explain that cliché to me, because this is the first I've heard of it.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
The idea of the ocean as glass isn't a new one; rather it's something of a cliché at this point, but I've never before seen the idea taken quite so literally nor so far.

It is? You're gong to have to explain that cliché to me, because this is the first I've heard of it.

Describing a body of water as being "like glass" or as "glassy" is a common way of saying it's very still.

Great choice in show. I need to dig this one out and re-watch it.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I knew this title sounded familiar and looking at the images confirms it. I'm almost certain that this is on one of my old VHS tapes, since some cable channel was transmitting this a few years into the past. Never actually tried to watch it, which would be my mistake, but then again I was also younger and a lot less patient.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
I'm going to dig out my fansub of this & have another look; I believe I never finished it the first time around. Sort of like opting out of the last few pictures in a Salvador Dali exhibition, too overpoweringly surrealistical Smile

The article did get me to look at whether 'Cat Soup' would be a good view for my grandchildren (it isn't) and I had a look on Amazon US.

Which is the better DVD, the Liquid Art Limited Edition or the Collectors Series Edition? Both cost a bomb.

I liked the reviewer who called it "Hello Kitty as done by David Lynchisan!".

Is being "Director of New Media" helping with "Buried Treasure" Justin? Thank you again for all your lovely digs!

Nico M
London UK
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
Haven't watched this, but just from the few screencaps, I immediately thought of Kaiba.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Agreed. Love that short. I don't think I could manage to write a whole article about it, however. Maybe if I someday do a short film special...

Seconded (thirded?) ...... how about something contrasting Japanese & Russian animation shorts, a rich vein to mine in.

NM Twisted Evil
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Which is the better DVD, the Liquid Art Limited Edition or the Collectors Series Edition? Both cost a bomb.

They're the exact same disc, the liquid art edition just comes with a little rubber squishy "mousepad" thing with fake blood in it.

Quote:
Is being "Director of New Media" helping with "Buried Treasure" Justin? Thank you again for all your lovely digs!

No, it keeps me so busy I really struggle to keep up the column. Hence, why it's back to being biweekly.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:23 am Reply with quote
I finally found and watched this. It was lovely. It reminded me too of the kinds of children's books that stay with you forever, a la Le Petit Prince. Books like that continue to show you new things no matter how old you are.

Thanks for the heads up about it Justin.
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
Of the three works by Shigeru Tamura I've seen, a piece of Phantasmagoria (not in the encyclopedia) is my favorite. Unlike in Glassy Ocean and Ursa Minor where you are given clues to these imaginative worlds provided by memories, tales, and conversations that happen casually; Phantasmagoria is more... organized perhaps. The flow of the story in GO and UM feel very natural, but I just like it more in Phantasmagoria because more time is spent in every specific land. A piece of Phantasmagoria is a series of shorts (over ten if I recall correctly) that explore a world where every different place is as whimsical as in Glassy Ocean. In fact, one of the lands IS the world of Glassy Ocean.

I'd just like to add that his first animated work, Ginga no Uo Ursa Minor Blue, won the 1993 Ōfuji Noburō Award, given in other years to Memories (1995) and Millennium Actress (2002).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2