• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Bird GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of the three major Japanese manga publishers, Shougakukan has been struggling the most of late in the shoujo manga genre. They simply do not have anything on the order of Kodansha's Nakayoshi or Shuueisha's Ribon.

You forgot the magazine that outsold Nakayoshi and Ribon combined.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
Bom chicka wow wow? Who knows, this might just be worth checking out...
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
Black Bird is quite a change in attitude from Kanoko Sakurakoji's other US release, the chaste Backstage Prince. I'm looking forward to seeing how she takes on the challenge of a manga version of a beach book. (Do they still call 'em that nowadays?)
Empathy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
oOOOoh. Maybe I'll give it a try then Surprised seems like more than Backstage Prince.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Found it pretty well written for what it is. It's on my pull list now...assuming Diamond doesn't cancel this one, too.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the cover makes it look like he's raping her?? Shocked
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the cover makes it look like he's raping her?? Shocked

Argh, now I can't not see it! Anime dazed

Is it just me, or has Casey been pretty generous with grades lately? Anything not Tezuka that she has reviewed seems to be getting A's and B's.
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

No, not really. The thought never occurred to me. But then again, I've read some of the chapters and that probably influences my interpretation of the cover scene.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Is it just me, or has Casey been pretty generous with grades lately? Anything not Tezuka that she has reviewed seems to be getting A's and B's.

Casey has always been generous towards smutty stuff, even more for BL smutty stuff. I've read enough of her reviews that I can generally tell when I'll agree with her (with my recent mistake trusting her on Tsubasa being an exception) or whether she's doing her frequent hyperbole, declaring anything she likes an "instant classic" or a masterpiece and disparaging anything she doesn't like until it's eating dirt. Like all reviewers, you need to read her articles regularly so you can get a feel whether her tastes will match yours.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
The description doesn't do much for me, but Backstage Prince was a fair bit better than it looked, so I'll be giving this one a chance.

vashfanatic wrote:

Surprise bu-

No, I shouldn't.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Casey has always been generous towards smutty stuff, even more for BL smutty stuff. I've read enough of her reviews that I can generally tell when I'll agree with her (with my recent mistake trusting her on Tsubasa being an exception) or whether she's doing her frequent hyperbole, declaring anything she likes an "instant classic" or a masterpiece and disparaging anything she doesn't like until it's eating dirt. Like all reviewers, you need to read her articles regularly so you can get a feel whether her tastes will match yours.

Oh, I already know that her reviews aren't for me (I have zero interest in most of the stuff she reviews and even when I do I almost always disagree with her). It's just that her constant high grades really stick out, when compared to other manga reviews on the site. Giving B's for stuff that even by her own admission is average devalues the grade and the grading system.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Oh, I already know that her reviews aren't for me (I have zero interest in most of the stuff she reviews and even when I do I almost always disagree with her). It's just that her constant high grades really stick out, when compared to other manga reviews on the site. Giving B's for stuff that even by her own admission is average devalues the grade and the grading system.

Wait: this is the first time you've noticed how useless the grading system that they use at this site can be? I know I figured that out ages ago. It's much, much more advisable to just read the reviews and look at the plus/minus recap than to look at the grades, which can be completely random.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
This is a manga I am definitly not checking out. How could anyone want to read garbage like this? There is far better shojo manga out there, and Black Bird isn't one of them. Sorry, but Casey has some bad taste. Just because she likes it, doesn't make it good.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
This is a manga I am definitly not checking out. How could anyone want to read garbage like this?

May I ask how do you find it a "garbage" if you haven't checked it out? Just by the plot summary?

By the way, I just noticed this review, along with Honey Hunt 2 and Sand Chronicles 3-5, were published weeks or even months before the items become available to general public.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
By the way, I just noticed this review, along with Honey Hunt 2 and Sand Chronicles 3-5, were published weeks or even months before the items become available to general public.

And did you notice how Roger Ebert gets to watch movies before they open in theaters? Presumably ANN is sent material ahead of time so that there can be reviews out there when the manga/anime is released. It's good publicity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2