• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Planned Live-Action Kakurenbo, Kazuo Koike Films Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that the Kazuo Koike work they choose to make into live action is Mad Bull 34. Offered or AIUEO Boy / The Starving Man would also be acceptable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... odds are it'll be Crying Freeman or a US version of the Lone Wolf and Cub. I think even to more casual manga/comics and anime fans the names are more well know compared to other titles. Especially Lone Wolf and Cub. Plus I think most of the LWC live action stuff were made back in the 70's so it might be a good time for remakes.

Kakurenbo will be an interesting US remake. I hope they keep the masked children theme and keep the masks oriental. Although you'll have to do a bit of setup to explain the masks then. But hey, the anime was only 25 mins long so they got alot to fill in anyways. If they can keep the actual horror parts and scare styles similar to the japanese source then it should do about as will as all the other asian horror remakes. Hopefully we don't get a "happy ending" rewrite either just because the creatures are hunting kids.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
LAA Kakurenbo movie wold probably suck for the same reason an LA Where the Wild Things Are movie would suck, in that there's not enough story for a full-length feature.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Kakurenbo will be an interesting US remake. I hope they keep the masked children theme and keep the masks oriental. Although you'll have to do a bit of setup to explain the masks then. But hey, the anime was only 25 mins long so they got alot to fill in anyways. If they can keep the actual horror parts and scare styles similar to the japanese source then it should do about as well as all the other asian horror remakes. Hopefully we don't get a "happy ending" rewrite either just because the creatures are hunting kids.

I agree. The themes and setting of the movie are very important for a remake of any kind. And while I'm a sucker for happily-ever-after endings, I completely agree. Kakurenbo's ending was both chilling and fascinating.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Kakurenbo is a really weird choice for a live-action remake.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Not too many kids nowadays play "Hide and Seek", especially with masks. Hope they can pull it off.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
A live-action "Kakurenbo" would seriously kick ass, but I fear it might cause controversy if it's little kids being murdered by spirits. Let's hope they find a way around it while being able to make all the fans happy.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I loved the idea of Kakurenbo, but it was so short and as the story goes didn't have much meat on the bones. I'd be interested in seeing how they can flesh it out.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
A live-action "Kakurenbo" would seriously kick ass, but I fear it might cause controversy if it's little kids being murdered by spirits. Let's hope they find a way around it while being able to make all the fans happy.

I don't think many of us would be surprised if there was a bit of rewrite for a happier ending, but it would be incredible and daring if they stuck to the original ending. They'll at least get alot of respect from horror fans and otakus for just sticking with it. Although I would get pissed if they wrote in an adult character to save the kids or something.

I don't think it be too bad if they did have monsters hunt the kids. Alot of old horror flicks did so or at least had kids getting eaten or were victims off camera and whatnot. I think a few of the newers have done so too. It kind of be like Stephen King's "It". But with 4 giant monsters looking to harvest parts of your body. spoiler[And this time the kids don't get to live into adulthood to defeat the demon at the end. They die.] Or the scary version of Jeeper's Creepers. spoiler[ Man, once you find out the guy was a monster and not some crazy guy, it wasn't scary anymore.]

If they ever do make this and stay faithful to the source material, don't take the youngins. They'll be screaming in their sleep for weeks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1