• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Aria the Origination & Arietta, Antique Bakery, Junjou Romantica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
but Right Stuf always does a good job with their releases without putting 7 episodes on a single disc and using flimsy boxes with no extras. That is something we could use more of.

The guidebook that came with Emma season 1 is the reason I bought it, it's a fantastic extra. And the box is very handsome too, one of my happiest purchases.

And I'm kind of glad Aria never got a dub. It's one of those shows that's heavy on vocal expression, something which the American VA's just can't emulate well. Emma could have used one, but only if they were British voice actors, otherwise again, the mood would be ruined.
poehitman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
poehitman wrote:
Well, at least they didn't ruin a series I actually want to see by licensing it and then releasing it without a dub.

How does that work? Do you like it until the moment it you find out it's been licensed, but they're not producing a dub for it? At which point it is ruined and retroactively sucks? I can understand being disappointed, but the level of histrionics that always surrounds the lack of a dub in a release is a bit much. And while Aria almost surely won't have a dub, you're not even certain the others won't, though I do think it's a stretch.

Aside from the predictable gnashing of teeth over the lack of a dub for these niche shows (Maybe they'd actually like to generate a profit off these releases?), I'm glad these shows are getting released. They may not really be shows I'm all that interested in (Aria bores me, even if I like it very much visually and think the character designs are attractive) but Right Stuf always does a good job with their releases without putting 7 episodes on a single disc and using flimsy boxes with no extras. That is something we could use more of.

No, I don't like that series to begin with. I detest yaoi/shounen ai series. What I meant was that RightStuf has a recent history of licensing series and then releasing them as sub-only, which is only a glorified fansub.

If RightStuf licenses it and releases it as sub-only, it will prevent any other company from licensing it and releasing it as a dub as long as RightStuf holds the license.

So my meaning was at least they licensed a series I do not like, instead of ruining the chances for a dub of a series that I DO like.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote

Origination and Arietta together. I must now depart to perform the Happy Tanuki Dance™.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Freaking awesome, those are just the types of shows I'd expect of them. If only they had licensed Spice and Wolf instead. Now they just need to pick up Bartender, Moyashimon, and Kaiba.

I still say Barteneder is a no go. It's no Baccano! and while it's great and should have had overnight success, I doubt it will ever get picked up. Just like Kaiji and Akagi....sad, right?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The guidebook that came with Emma season 1 is the reason I bought it, it's a fantastic extra. And the box is very handsome too, one of my happiest purchases.

Right Stuf's packaging is top notch, and it's seems they're becoming the only company left in R1 that still bothers with nice packaging. I hope it continues. I'll probably buy Antique Bakery, and maybe even Junjou Romantica. I'm not much into boy's love, but I want to support a good company.

poehitman wrote:
No, I don't like that series to begin with. I detest yaoi/shounen ai series. What I meant was that RightStuf has a recent history of licensing series and then releasing them as sub-only, which is only a glorified fansub.

If RightStuf licenses it and releases it as sub-only, it will prevent any other company from licensing it and releasing it as a dub as long as RightStuf holds the license.

So my meaning was at least they licensed a series I do not like, instead of ruining the chances for a dub of a series that I DO like.

I understood you didn't have an interest in these shows, but if you (hypothetically) did, I still fail to see how it ruins the show if there's no dub. I have no interest in dubs, but I fail to see how it ruins a show if there's no sub. I don't buy the glorified fansub comment, but then again I do buy Japanese releases of some shows. They must really suck, since they don't even have a translation at all!

It would be nice to have a sub/dub on every show and have everybody be happy, but the realities of the market and a shitty economy means it's not going to happen for every show. CPM is dead, Geneon is sort of a zombie, and ADV is slowly, slowly coming back from near death. Right Stuf mostly licenses niche shows which probably won't be "hits" compared to bigger releases. The reality is that producing a sub is relatively inexpensive, and producing a dub is a far more expensive proposition. If you can't recoup the costs of the dub in sales, then by all means you shouldn't produce it, unless if you have a hankering to join the anime graveyard. The insistence that every show must have a dub regardless of market realities is childish, and prepare to be disappointed if that's what you demand, because thus far Funimation is the only company that has not done any sub only releases. They've just cut back on everything else in its place.
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01, I agree. I'd love to see a dub for Junjo, but I'm not "expecting" one, nor will I refuse to buy it if there isn't one. I'm just hoping there is one. No dub isn't a breaking point on series that I already have an interest in. On a show I am sort of indifferent to (like Emma) I'm not going to put any money down to try it if there's no dub, but for a series I already have a vested interest in, like Junjo, of course I'm going to get it. And if they surprise us all and put it out with a dub, fantastic. I'd pay twice as much for a dub version as for a sub version.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
What I meant was that RightStuf has a recent history of licensing series and then releasing them as sub-only, which is only a glorified fansub.

Except, like... without the "fan" part...? I should think there's a pretty big distinction between one and the other.

I'll be glad that Aria's all here if I ever start watching it. It looks sweet.
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
(Cries tears of joy) YES~! Aria Origi. and Arietta?!? Anime hyper Antique?!? OMG~! YAY. JR...(Fangirl mode switched on to max) I love this day and I can't wait for the releases~!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
My only problem with Right Stuf is that they continue to put rubber cement on the art of their boxes. My first Aria box is damaged due to that!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably get the third season of Aria eventually, but I hear it goes in a different direction from the first two seasons. (I haven't seen it; Aria is one of the very few times I've bought an anime DVD set without having seen it fansubbed first, since I liked the manga.)

Unless Nozomi has more to announce, there goes any chances of Minami-Ke being announced at AX this year, since I don't see any other domestic distributor touching a moé slice-of-life comedy show not produced by Kyoto Animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
Well, at least they didn't ruin a series I actually want to see by licensing it and then releasing it without a dub.

Was just coming here to say the same thing. I've resigned myself to never getting an Aria-related product I'll actually pay for, but I'm not in the least bit interested in pseudo-yaoi. For once they picked some "good" licenses. *snrk*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Hurray for more Aria! Now that means I'll definitely have to pick up the second season. My boyfriend just told me that he was saddened to hear that my coma was going to be lengthened. I guess he does have a point, the show isn't one you can watch in large chunks - I started watching it in December, and have one more episode of the first season left - but it's such a sweet, charming show, that I can't help but love it.
Not a shounen-ai fan, but I'm not adverse to giving Junjou Romantica a try.
For the people complaining about lack of dub (again...) Rightstuf more than makes up for it by way of packaging and extras. They are much more than 'glorified fansubs' If the other anime companies (Funi, I'm looking at you) followed Rightstufs lead regarding the quality of their releases, I'd be a very, very happy collector.
Bunyuu!
poehitman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Right Stuf's packaging is top notch, and it's seems they're becoming the only company left in R1 that still bothers with nice packaging. I hope it continues. I'll probably buy Antique Bakery, and maybe even Junjou Romantica. I'm not much into boy's love, but I want to support a good company.

poehitman wrote:

I understood you didn't have an interest in these shows, but if you (hypothetically) did, I still fail to see how it ruins the show if there's no dub. I have no interest in dubs, but I fail to see how it ruins a show if there's no sub. I don't buy the glorified fansub comment, but then again I do buy Japanese releases of some shows. They must really suck, since they don't even have a translation at all!

It would be nice to have a sub/dub on every show and have everybody be happy, but the realities of the market and a shitty economy means it's not going to happen for every show. CPM is dead, Geneon is sort of a zombie, and ADV is slowly, slowly coming back from near death. Right Stuf mostly licenses niche shows which probably won't be "hits" compared to bigger releases. The reality is that producing a sub is relatively inexpensive, and producing a dub is a far more expensive proposition. If you can't recoup the costs of the dub in sales, then by all means you shouldn't produce it, unless if you have a hankering to join the anime graveyard. The insistence that every show must have a dub regardless of market realities is childish, and prepare to be disappointed if that's what you demand, because thus far Funimation is the only company that has not done any sub only releases. They've just cut back on everything else in its place.

If you have no interest in dubs, then you're not qualified to talk about it because it doesn't affect you.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
The sarcasm here is making my head hurt. Unless there is no sarcasm. But it definitely seems like sarcasm! Where have the italics gone to?! The simplisticans are being tortured!

*ehem* Anyway, I'm very tempted to start buying more DVDs. Must... resist... spending...
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
What I meant was that RightStuf has a recent history of licensing series and then releasing them as sub-only, which is only a glorified fansub.

There is a massive difference between a fansub and the kind of high quality (if sub-only) releases that Nozomi has been putting out for shows like Aria, Maria-sama ga Miteru, Emma, etc.

poehitman wrote:

Here's the thing, though: If RightStuf/Nozomi licenses it and releases it as sub-only, they don't think it's going to sell well enough to justify the cost of a dub. If that's happened, the chances of some other company thinking it will sell well enough to justify the cost of a dub and licensing it were pretty bloody slim (if not outright non-existent) to begin with. In most cases, these series have sat unlicensed for years. Other companies have had ample opportunity to snap them up if they wanted them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5