• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Aria the Origination & Arietta, Antique Bakery, Junjou Romantica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote
YAY JUNJO~~~!!

I can't wait to re-watch it. <3
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
Yay for Aria The OVA ~ Arietta ~ and Aria The Origination getting licensed too! Smile

Fansubs are great, so glorified fansubs must be even better Smile
I wish more companies were willing to ditch the dubbing. Lower costs means lower prices for us, and most importantly, more licensed anime.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
manafairy wrote:
I'm not particularly interested in Junjou Romantica, as I wasn't all that fond of the manga, but I loved Antique Bakery's manga iteration so that has my eye. Does anyone know if the Antique Bakery anime is anywhere near as good as its manga?

Antique Bakery is one of my favorite manga, and I think they did fine with the anime. Some people are bothered by the animation, but I'm not sure why. At least Ono remained gay, not like the Japanese live action series. I still prefer the manga over the anime, but I wasn't disappointed at all.

As for JR, I don't know what you didn't like about the manga, but the anime is definitely less graphic, if that was the issue. With this series, I think I actually prefer the anime over the manga.
Cait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Fansubs are great, so glorified fansubs must be even better Smile
I wish more companies were willing to ditch the dubbing. Lower costs means lower prices for us, and most importantly, more licensed anime.

I hate to break it to you, but pricepoints are pretty well fixed, regardless of whether there is a dub or sub. The N.A. market (ie, anime fans) is only willing to pay so much, so really, only the cost of doing the production drops with a sub-only release, the price will probably not. The reason companies choose sub-only is because they don't think the product will sell well, even with a dub, meaning the product is already a niche title anyway, meaning fewer people were going to buy it, regardless of a dub or not. But they also know, like Media Blasters knows with all their BL titles, that there is a ready-made audience for these niche titles, so they can get away with giving them less product for the same pricepoint as a dub release and the fans will buy it anyway.

I don't have a problem with this per se (even though I'd prefer to have a dub), but let's be honest about what it actually means. These DVDs aren't going to be significantly cheaper released as sub-only. Rightstuf/Nozomi and all the others that might release titles sub-only are simply improving their own profit margin. And in these tough economic times, it's all we can really expect to ensure that we get niche title licenses at all.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Wagaya no Oinarisama. (TV)-no partner yet

Oh god...Funi, please pick this up! I loved this series, don't let Right Stuf get it! Anime hyper;

Cait wrote:
But they also know, like Media Blasters knows with all their BL titles, that there is a ready-made audience for these niche titles, so they can get away with giving them less product for the same pricepoint as a dub release and the fans will buy it anyway.

Except, clearly, there are plenty fans like myself who want to see a show they enjoy get the treatment it deserves, and have no interest in paying for, again, glorified fansubs that they've already seen. And, I'd be willing to bet there's hardly any market research done at all on whether or not a series would be viable with a dub, beyond the corporate bigwigs making some random guess.

In all my years as a fan, I don't think I've EVER seen a survey, or a questionnaire, or anything that would suggest companies are actually trying to figure out if these shows would sell or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Cait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

In all my years as a fan, I don't think I've EVER seen a survey, or a questionnaire, or anything that would suggest companies are actually trying to figure out if these shows would sell or not.

Companies like Media Blasters have been doing very well for themselves for years with sub-only releases. Considering they're not going out of business over it is probably evidence enough to them that the format is working. They don't need to "ask" fans what they want. Wallets do the fandom's talking for the industry well enough. The fans, in fact, have a history of not putting their money where their mouths are.

I prefer dubs, too, but I'm not acting entitled to a dub simply because I want one. Most people in the anime fandom have the understanding that our little niche of popular culture can't afford to take risks with dubs all the time. Refusing to buy sub-only isn't going to "fix" the problem. The only thing that can ensure that dub releases return to the standard they were five years ago (until Geneon practically bankrupted themselves doing it) is if anime itself actually becomes a mainstream medium of popular culture. Dubs are necessary for that, yes, but the niche titles, like the ones Rightstuf/Nozomi are distributing with this announcement, are not part of that mainstream appeal.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
True, they've been doing well for themselves, but they have -no clue- for each individual series if they might do even better would they release a dubbed product.

Sure, they're not taking a risk and playing it safe by ensuring they get at least -some- profit, but nothing worthwhile in this world ever came from people who are content to sit on their laurels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
Given the choice between a dub+sub and sub-only version of the same anime, me and my wallet would vote for the sub-only one. Why pay for something I'll never use anyway? If that means the anime companies make more money, I say go for it. More money for them means they will thrive more, which means more anime for me.

As for not paying for fansubs you've already seen for free, that's just being a bad fan. I watch anime for free too (illegally, because I'm not part of the streaming video companies' legal definition of their audience), but the ones I liked I buy afterwards if possible.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The first 10 volumes of the manga version are available in English from Tokyopop's Blu label.

According to my amazon wishlist and rightstuf, vol. 10 comes out on monday, july 6

and the eps of Aria i saw in japan were boring as anything to me, but kudos for you fans Very Happy

Junjou is happy yay for me, and antique was kinda so so, IMO. But i'll totally get junjou. I haven't seen much being picked up i like, so Junjou is a definite pick up for me Very Happy

I wouldn't be too broken up about a sub only release.
1) i RARELY watch with dubs and i've not found too many dubs i've really liked anyway.
2) i'm used to the junjou drama cds, so changing those voices would be horrifyingly sad to me
3) if it saves TSRI some money so that they stay in business and can offer me some cheap sales, then BY ALL MEANS (which reminds me, i need emma box 2... i love my first one)
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I love all three of these shows, especially Junjou! I wish there's dub.
poehitman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
poehitman wrote:
What I meant was that RightStuf has a recent history of licensing series and then releasing them as sub-only, which is only a glorified fansub.

There is a massive difference between a fansub and the kind of high quality (if sub-only) releases that Nozomi has been putting out for shows like Aria, Maria-sama ga Miteru, Emma, etc.

poehitman wrote:
If RightStuf licenses it and releases it as sub-only, it will prevent any other company from licensing it and releasing it as a dub as long as RightStuf holds the license.

Here's the thing, though: If RightStuf/Nozomi licenses it and releases it as sub-only, they don't think it's going to sell well enough to justify the cost of a dub. If that's happened, the chances of some other company thinking it will sell well enough to justify the cost of a dub and licensing it were pretty bloody slim (if not outright non-existent) to begin with. In most cases, these series have sat unlicensed for years. Other companies have had ample opportunity to snap them up if they wanted them.

You don't know that any more than I do. What happens if a show rises in popularity or something. Say another season comes out in japan that is really popular and it increases demand for the first season. Whoops, we can't get a dub because RightStuf holds the license to it and they don't believe it's worth the money to dub.

And RightStuf may not think it will sell well, but another company may. And RightStuf will be able to outbid them because their costs will be less by releasing it as a sub-only release when the other company would have to bid less to be able to make their profit margin.

So I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not paying a dime for what is essentially a glorified fansub. If you want me to pay money for the series, you need to offer me something that I feel is worth paying for. And that is an english dub track.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
True, they've been doing well for themselves, but they have -no clue- for each individual series if they might do even better would they release a dubbed product.

Look, they're not operating completely blindly. They have experience in the market, and clearly have some idea of how popular a show is going to be if they're interested in releasing it at all. Yes, in most cases any given show will sell at least a little better if there's a dub for it, but if overall sales are going to be relatively low either way, you can't realistically expect enough extra sales to cover the cost of the dub.

SongstressCela wrote:
Sure, they're not taking a risk and playing it safe by ensuring they get at least -some- profit, but nothing worthwhile in this world ever came from people who are content to sit on their laurels.

On the other hand, doing nothing but throwing in all your resources and charging ahead all the time generally leads to a much more abrupt end for you.

poehitman wrote:
You don't know that any more than I do. What happens if a show rises in popularity or something. Say another season comes out in japan that is really popular and it increases demand for the first season. Whoops, we can't get a dub because RightStuf holds the license to it and they don't believe it's worth the money to dub.

Both Maria-sama ga Miteru and Aria had multiple seasons out in Japan before they were licensed, and none of the companies that dub everything licensed them. No-one was expecting them to. They are niche titles in what's already a niche medium for the English speaking world, enough popularity was always unlikely. Sure, I don't know for certain, but neither can you be certain that they would have been dubbed.

poehitman wrote:
And RightStuf may not think it will sell well, but another company may. And RightStuf will be able to outbid them because their costs will be less by releasing it as a sub-only release when the other company would have to bid less to be able to make their profit margin.

Maybe, maybe not. For titles as niche as these it's hard to imagine anyone, plans to dub or no, increasing their licensing costs at all if they can avoid it. And you're making a huge assumption that anyone else was attempting to - or even wanted to - license them to begin with. Massively popular guaranteed hits get bidding wars, niche titles like these are lucky to even get one company interested.

poehitman wrote:
So I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not paying a dime for what is essentially a glorified fansub. If you want me to pay money for the series, you need to offer me something that I feel is worth paying for. And that is an english dub track.

I've said it before, and apparently I need to keep saying it. A high quality professional sub-only release is a far cry from a fansub. If you prefer to watch anime dubbed, that's fine. But that doesn't mean that a release lacking an English audio track is no better than an illegally distributed video with an amateur translation.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
My only problem with Right Stuf is that they continue to put rubber cement on the art of their boxes. My first Aria box is damaged due to that!

You mean the stuff they use to stick on the overlay to the back of the box? That bit of package design really seems awkward to me. I just left it on my Marimite boxsets, though it probably won't stay on without the shrinkwrap.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
Okay, so clearly you see no intrinsic value in anime itself. That's fine, we get it... just go buy the stuff that is dubbed and let your wallet do the talking, because complaining up a storm every time one of these sub-only releases comes up is pointless. But I have to hand it to the "sub-only DVDs are like fansubs on disc" crowd -- they've come up with a way to simultaneously insult the work of fansubbers and DVD subtitlers.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
I'll be picking up all they announced... Antique Bakery, Junjo Romantica and Aria the Origination+Arietta. I can't wait to get it all. I can support a company that has competent releases with nice extras and doesn't cram 6-7 episodes onto 1 disc. Nozomi is doin' it rite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5