• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2009 - Viz Media

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troizen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Weidenbaum then shifted to Naruto; the first volume of the Naruto Shippūden TV series will be out September 29th, and it'll be the only way to see the show dubbed.

That pretty much dashes any hopes to see the return of Naruto to television.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also upcoming is Kakashi Chronicles, a short animated series following Kakashi's backstory. It'll be available on Viz's website August 6th.

This hasn't even aired yet and they already plan on streaming it. Good to see them take the initiative, but I hope that it's on Hulu as well.

I was kinda hoping for some Blu-ray announcements or hints, but no luck so far....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of disappointed at no big theater release on the 2nd Bleach movie. I'm going to buy the dvd but it was be great if they did a big thing like they did with the first
holybell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know which new manga titles Viz is referring to? I cannot find any information about some of them on the Internet.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
holybell wrote:
Does anyone know which new manga titles Viz is referring to? I cannot find any information about some of them on the Internet.

Which are you wondering about?
Beast Master is by Kyosuke Motomi, uses the same title in Japan
Butterflies, Flowers is by Yuki Yoshihara, published in Japan as Chou yo Hana yo
Natsume's Book of Friends is by Yuki Midorikawa, published in Japan as Natsume Yuujinchou
Crown of Love is by Yun Kouga, published in Japan as Ren'ai Crown
Cactus Secret is by Nana Haruta, published in Japan as Saboten no Himitsu
Stepping on Roses is by Rinko Ueda (mangaka of Tail of the Moon), published in Japan as Hadashi de Bara o fume
Flower in a Storm is by Shigeyoshi Takagi, published in Japan as Hana ni Arashi

Thos're all the shoujo(/josei) titles; other than that I think everything was obvious. You should be able to find more info on the individual series by searching the Japanese titles/mangaka. Hope that helps!
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
troizen wrote:
Quote:
Weidenbaum then shifted to Naruto; the first volume of the Naruto Shippūden TV series will be out September 29th, and it'll be the only way to see the show dubbed.

That pretty much dashes any hopes to see the return of Naruto to television.

Yeah, I guess Cartoon Network is done with anime, then.

And I guess they're not even going to finish the original Naruto...

braves wrote:
Quote:
Also upcoming is Kakashi Chronicles, a short animated series following Kakashi's backstory. It'll be available on Viz's website August 6th.

This hasn't even aired yet and they already plan on streaming it. Good to see them take the initiative, but I hope that it's on Hulu as well.

I was kinda hoping for some Blu-ray announcements or hints, but no luck so far....

Yeah, all this, too.
holybell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:

Ah. I should have made that request a bit clear. Thanks for the info.

I was particularly interested what Flower in a Storm and Cactus Secret are since ANN did not state who the mangaka are.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
VIZ needs to hurry and license something mainstream or it's going to fall behind Media Blasters. At this point, I don't know how they haven't gotten Gintama or Reborn!, given their relations with Japanese companies.

At this point it's:
FUNImation
Bandai
VIZ
ADV
Media Blasters

in my book.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
VIZ needs to hurry and license something mainstream

Never thought I'd see the day when the publishers of Shonen Jump would be considered non-mainstream.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
A bit of a letdown. Last year they had so many awesome new announcements. It's nice to finally know what they're gonna do with the One Piece manga (wow, 5 a month!). Biomega is the only one of the new titles that interests, but not that much.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
VIZ needs to hurry and license something mainstream

Never thought I'd see the day when the publishers of Shonen Jump would be considered non-mainstream.

I was referring to their anime. It's mainstream, but stuff like I's shouldn't have been picked up that quickly.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Sweet for a release date on the first Shippuden movie. ^^ But hopefully they also get release dates on boxsets for the series as well, since not everyone will be happy buying singles for a 100+ episode series.

And I'm still getting all bubbly and excited over Kakashi Chronicles. ^^ That I just can't wait for! <33
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Monster DVD release date information. Where for art thou Monster DVD release date information?

Oh, and a word on who's playing Dr. Tenma and Johann would be nice too. Laughing
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, 5 new manga a month for OP! Sweet! I was just about caught up, too, to the US release. Too bad it's not until January.

Also, I didn't realize they finally animated the Kakashi backstory, so that's really cool, too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and the first volume of the Rosario + Vampire season II manga streeting on April 6th, 2010.

Why that long after the first series? Not enough people available for translation?

Quote:
Weidenbaum also announced a new contest for a pair of guitars signed by Bleach creator Tite Kubo.

Didn't know he was musically-inclined.

Quote:
Boys Over Flowers Jewelry Box: 10-13-2009

I'd dig a box for Flame of Recca and/or Fatal Fury.

Kanji:
Quote:
At this point, I don't know how they haven't gotten Gintama or Reborn!, given their relations with Japanese companies.

No one knows how those shows would do in terms of actual sales, so I imagine Viz is comfy just milking Naruto and DN right now.

bahamut:
Quote:
It's nice to finally know what they're gonna do with the One Piece manga (wow, 5 a month!).

Too bad that's financial suicide, considering its lack of significant popularity, but maybe they'll at least break even on it.

Doctor Worm:
Quote:

Oh, and a word on who's playing Dr. Tenma and Johann would be nice too.

Probably Colin Ferrell and Haley Joel Osment, respectively. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3