• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - Stick with Dark Mospeada

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elisian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
OMG! I want that soooo bad! *love*
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Genesis Climber MOSPEADA got some much-needed recognition, though I was a bit miffed that you chose the Robotech terminology over the ones in MOSPEADA.

The toy looks pretty good, but definitely not worth US$70.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
I'm with dtm42. Give me "Mospeada" over "Robotech" any day (and over Macross for that matter, but that's a completely different topic altogether). Also, it's a pity Scott/Stick/Stigg didn't get to pilot the "stealth" version himself in the show. That guy is pure militaristic stick-in-the-mud awesome.

That all said, thanks for the entertaining and insightful review, and thanks for giving the Mospeada a chance, even if the toy gave you nightmares.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
I have one question, Does ANN pays for the toys or it comes out of your pocket?

And, how many toys do you have in the box, hide away and not on a shelve?
ingram_pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
Rob wrote:
Now to me, the pics — necessary at least for a stupid gaijin like myself — are way too close-up, don't show the actual movements of pieces, and further more, since they're all in white, I have no clue what I'm looking at.
If you think that's bad, try the Transformers Masterpiece Collection toys. The transformation instruction booklets have 30 or more multi-step panels, and the diagrams are even more up-close and vague than the ones in your screenshot.
Getting them transformed is an exercise in sado-masochism.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
ingram_pilot wrote:

Sado to whom? The poor souls who happen to be near you at the time?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
I though Mospeada had fallen into obscurity in Japan. Seems kind of odd it'd get a new figure.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
I have one question, Does ANN pays for the toys or it comes out of your pocket?

It's alittle bit of both. Sometimes Rob buys them as a fan to review about but other times companies send him stuff to "review" *wink *wink *nudge *nudge. Other times they just point him in their direction and he buys them still.

But damn, that last picture is awesome. *saved* Honestly alot of my figures take on the roles of statues once I finish them so it doesn't bother me. And I personally love transforming them once I learn how. And they will always be cyclones to me.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

The toy looks pretty good, but definitely not worth US$70.

I'd say it's the proper price range. It looks damned cool. One gets 3 toys in one (doll, cycle, robot). I just forked out $30 to order God Gravion & the Saint Seiya dolls are between $60-$100 usually (Pre-ordered Tenma a couple weeks ago for about $60). I won't even get into the evil Kotobukia booth at Comic-con every year with all the droolworthy statues priced reasonably at gasp level. Or the Square Enix booth...
2 hours? That also sounds reasonable for something so complex basically without instructions. I know the stupid little blind boxes give me grief sometimes & they're way less complex. The 5 inch Saint sets were loads of fun snapping pieces of armor on with only the picture & the odd R & L on the pieces. (Most were easy, but a couple were stubborn). I seem to recall on the little Kerero Gunso model more than once thinking pieces did not go where the diagram said they did.
And that robot looks damned cool.
I'm sure you can pose it better with practice. God know it was loads of fun posing my Darth Vader way back when-finding balance points & all. Then my cat decided light sabers taste good so Vader's had teeth marks on it. (Ignore the holes, Luke. I can still defeat you). You just need to pull it back out of exile. Hells bells, I'd want to display something that took so much of my time.
ingram_pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
ingram_pilot wrote:

Sado to whom? The poor souls who happen to be near you at the time?

When I was trying to transform Starscream, the words that were coming out of my mouth were not fit for human hears; the figure had transformed ME into a snarling beast. Evil or Very Mad So I do pity the people that were around me at the time.

But I was in fact refering to the fact that Takara are sadists for putting these things out; and I'm a masochist for buying more of them after my first experience. But the figures are so incredible, that it's worth the pain and suffering. Optimus Prime in vehicle mode is 19 inches long, wheighs about 5lbs (2.2 kg), and has a ludicrous incredible amount of detail.

Here are the ones I have:
Starscream
Starscream US Edition (because you can never have enough Starscream)
Optimus Prime
Megatron Megatron (alternate)(The pictures in gray are of the prototype.)

As you can see, they are worth it.
yblees

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Ye Gods!
Those are beautiful! Shocked
*suddenly feels the urge to spend 2+ hours on a transforming robot toy*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1