• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 13 Osamu Tezuka Anime Shorts Ship on U.S. DVD on July 28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Ah! A nice collection of Tezuka stuff to come out!
I've already seen two of the shorts to be featured, MURAMASA, 9 minutes long, but pretty good, and Broken Down Film, 5 minutes of downright brilliance (although any longer and it might've overstayed it's welcome, but for 5 minutes, it was hilarious).
I am looking forward to this one indeed.
happosai-san

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
This collection has been available for a couple of years on R4 DVD (Australia), entitled 'The Experimental Films Of Osamu Tezuka'

[Happosai]
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
When the heck are we going to get Unico?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
happosai-san wrote:
This collection has been available for a couple of years on R4 DVD (Australia), entitled 'The Experimental Films Of Osamu Tezuka'

Looks like another win for Madman. I suppose this new release will result in no further cause for R1 customers to import any new R4 products though. Still, Madman are doing better than any of our lot...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Excellant. Some fansub group was doing these, but never finished. I'll be quite happy to own them on DVD.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, several of the titles can be watched on YouTube. Muramasa was on Chrunchyroll (there's chance to be still there). Those who are interested either in Tezuka's works, or in Japanese non-commercial animation, could take a look, and congratulate themselves on the smart purchase later Anime hyper
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
happosai-san wrote:

[Happosai]

The only difference I guess is we won't have the audio commentary tracks for several shorts that the Madman release did.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Excellant. Some fansub group was doing these, but never finished. I'll be quite happy to own them on DVD.

Some of them like "Drop" didn't really need to be subbed otherwise (same goes for Jumping, Broken Down Film and Legend of the Forest). Of course Memory, Male, Mermaid and Push needed subs anyway, at least they didn't have some faux English track made just so that it would be easier in a film festival circuit like some films I know of.

The first time I knew anything of Tezuka I hate to admit (aside from Unico which I had seen before) was through a public library's book sale and a tape labeled "Award-Winning International Animation 1980-85", which highlighted a number of shorts films, some I had seen before c/o Showtime/HBO and others I did not, including "Sunbeam", "Anna & Bella", "Unfaithful Portrait", as well as both Jumping and Broken Down Film. Somehow that tape led me find out more about guys like him and seek out other such interesting animated pieces in later years. I personally would love to get a 16mm copy of Jumping for my very own!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1