• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kimi ni Todoke GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see this have a high review, I started it and I think I got bored with it, but I'm willing to give it a second look.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
I had no idea this would get such a glowing review! The plot seemed interesting enough when I read it so I've been looking for it in stores to read. Now, however, I'll be redoubling my efforts to find it and see for myself. Anime catgrin I'm always up for another "gold treasure series" to be unearthed!
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Funny how I just finished watching Toradora!, which appears to be at least somewhat similar in spirit to Kimi no Todoke. With Toradora!, you knew how it was going to end, but how it got to said end was a completely different matter entirely -- it was also beautifully written and executed. Plus, Sawako reminds me of Taiga from Toradora!. Taiga was also misunderstood due to the front she put up and her appearance, but she also came out of her shell over the course of the series (and not just her).

Sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Awwww. I am soooo glad this got licensed. Casey captured its spirit perfectly in this review, I think. Every one of the characters stole my heart; I don't think I can imagine a more entirely lovable character than Sawako! It's a joy to see such a sweet, optimistic view of the world through her eyes. Love love love this series and can't wait to read more of it :D
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
When I read the review, I got really excited and rushed to read this.

It's a nice series-- kind of quietly lovely like Bokura ga Ita-- but it wasn't that amazing to me. But perhaps the reviewer has read more of it through other methods and it gets better?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
Casey said:

Quote:
(do high schoolers still believe in ghosts???),

The same way that some high schoolers, and people beyond that age such as myself, still believe in the possibility of extra-terrestiral life and the psychic phenomena.

She really went all-out praising this manga, I'll have to check it out.
brittiney360

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
Admittedly, throughout my four years of otakudom I've only found myself liking maybe seven or so shoujo titles ever (although lately I've found myself more interested in them...), and Kimi ni Todoke is definitely one of them. I don't really remember much from what I've read online since it was quite a while ago, but I remember thinking I really liked it so I pre-ordered the first volume the moment I finished.

Can't wait 'til I get KimiTode in the mail~.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see this get such a positive review. I had placed this in my wants list and now I can't wait for it to be released. I need a good shojo - too much action in my collection lately. BTW did everyone else read this through scans? The first volume isn't set to be released until 8/4.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
It sounds rather ordinary, but the review is so positive that I need to check this out. I think this manga also won awards so it's not just Caesy that think it's good. Hmm, I thought I heard something about an anime adaption for this as well...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
It sounds rather ordinary, but the review is so positive that I need to check this out. I think this manga also won awards so it's not just Caesy that think it's good. Hmm, I thought I heard something about an anime adaption for this as well...

All of you who were really swayed by this review, take it with a grain of salt: every third thing that Casey reads seems to be the Next Great Masterpiece. It may be as good as she says it is, but at this point, I've learned to be skeptical.
divinemango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
There are definitely a lot of people who will like this.

spoiler[Just my own worthless 2 cents.
It's a shoujo , yeah I know, not like I don't have my shoujo favorites, but this one is just too... gooey and sappy at times that I don't even want to read what they say and just skip it. The girl and her friends worry about stuff that is TOO trivial. I wasn't expecting them to save the world or anything. I was expecting an easygoing series with some slice-of-life elements, and perhaps people working hard to achieve something good. But 'trying to talk to your classmate'? And being overjoyed because they said 'hi' back? When you don't actually have a tragic past or mistreat anyone?
If the basketball guy weren't around, I think I'd have lost my sanity. Exclamation I think I deserve to be crucified for saying a shoujo manga is too girly. And considering that I have zero sociability too.
Feel free to see if you can put up with it. I don't actually hate the series, just that I have to try my best to overlook those scenes.]

vashfanatic wrote:
All of you who were really swayed by this review, take it with a grain of salt: every third thing that Casey reads seems to be the Next Great Masterpiece. It may be as good as she says it is, but at this point, I've learned to be skeptical.

Seems to be a bit famous around here, doesn't she? Just not in a pretty favorable light.
Sometimes it's not just ad hominem.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Kimi ni Todoke is an award winning manga (Best Shōjo Manga award in the 32nd Annual Kodansha Manga Award) and also one of the best selling manga titles in Japan. I really haven't seen a single person say anything bad about it...
illustrata

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

Kimi ni Todoke is an award winning manga (Best Shōjo Manga award in the 32nd Annual Kodansha Manga Award) and also one of the best selling manga titles in Japan. I really haven't seen a single person say anything bad about it...

That doesn't really mean much when series like Peach Girl and Air Gear win such awards as well. For the record, I found Kimi no Todoke mediocre. There are tons more better shoujo out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1