• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Into the Blue

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love will ship on two discs: one will be the entire game with English voices, the other will feature it with subtitled Japanese dialogue. The text will be the same in both versions, and I hope that game saves will be compatible with either disc. Either way, the two-disc set will run $39.99 for the PlayStation 2 and the Wii.

I'm just surprised they can sell it so cheap.

Quote:
If you're looking for upcoming Dragon Ball games to wash away the taste of the recent live-action film, you'll find those games coming from NAMCO Bandai. The publisher recently announced the rights to release Dragon Ball properties in North America. This comes after Atari, which brought out several Dragon Ball Z fighters, fell into a legal squabble with FUNimation. With its new dominance of the property, NAMCO Bandai plans three releases this year: the action game Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo for the Wii, the RPG-like Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans for the DS, and the fighter Dragon Ball: Raging Blast for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

I'm just surprised they haven't considered the VC route or collections of the Famicom/S-Famicom/Megadrive/PSX games myself.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Taisen 5 wrote:
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love will ship on two discs: one will be the entire game with English voices, the other will feature it with subtitled Japanese dialogue. The text will be the same in both versions, and I hope that game saves will be compatible with either disc. Either way, the two-disc set will run $39.99 for the PlayStation 2 and the Wii.
I haven't seen this level of unselfishness since Working Designs was around.Fantastic job sirs. Very Happy

I can't believe Blazblue came to the 360.I don't get paid till Friday!
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
So I'm guessing the Sky Crawlers game will have more action than the movie? Nothing against the movie, I actually liked the pacing. I just can't imagine the game having the same pace! Confused
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Really need to find a good deal on a Wii or PS2 now for Sakura Wars V. Still playing through SW2 on the DC. Wonder how many hours I have to put in to finish the first disc.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Shadow of Desiny- there's a game I haven't seen mentioned in years. That was the second title I bought for my PS2, and largely to protect my last dab of graduation money from my (at the time) sticky-fingered brother (glad to say he's long since grown out of that habit.) One of the most unusual games I've ever played, and one of the few I re-played several times to get all the endings (although part of that is from how short a play-through can be.) I had a good time with that game.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
Kudos to NISA for resolving the only possible issue I had about SW5 (lack of Japanese dub). Totally preordering the game when it becomes available. Now, if only Atlus or Namco would finally get around to bringing us SRT: OGs and SRT: OGG...
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
My only comments are:

Should have used the PS3 cover instead of the 360 one. Yeah I know they're the same, but seeing the green and the blue doesn't look right to me.

Quote:
Yes, I hate Noel's story and all that it represents.

One man's failed expectations is another man's realized dream.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
I love Blazblue. Bang's story is hilarious. Well..mostly his character is anyway. Laughing My favorite character is Rachel though. I love how she abuses her little slave things and acts all arrogant.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
I have never played a Guilty Gear game, but I picked up BlazBlue over the weekend and I absolutely LOVE it! Very Happy It's everything that an over the top anime-based fighter should be, and then some. For me, the best part is how completely different all the characters are. None of them control or play the same. It's hard enough to get good with one or two, nevermind the whole roster. Currently, my favorites are Nu-13 and Haku-Men. I'm also impressed by how balanced the characters are. I've played several online matches, and didn't come across any cheap tactics or broken moves. Yes, there was an overabundance of Noels, but she's hardly the most powerful character, and I managed to own several Noel players with both Nu and Haku-men. I'm still trying to figure out why she's so dang popular. Confused
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

I'm just surprised they can sell it so cheap.

What's so surprising? Blank DVDs are a dime a dozen these days. And with an uber-niche title, anything more would be doomed to fail.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
Finally Sakura Wars V finally comes over. Man that took forever. Considering that the PS2 is almost on it's last legs. Well, not quite yet. Now it would be cool if someone were to pick up the OVAs that came out. They were pretty funny. Again bringing back some of the insane humor of Ouji Hiroi humor.

I may bite on the FF Gaiden game. But once again Square confuses fans again with these titles. Not many people knew that 'Seiken' series was a "gaiden" (side stories or spin off) to the 'FF' franchise. Anyone who has ever seen old Japanese gaming mags would see the info 'Seiken Densetsu ~ Final Fantasy Gaiden'. The very first 'Seiken' game we got was dubbed 'FF Adventure'. After that the 'Seiken' title was changed to "mana" and became it's own franchise. Thus the 2nd 'Seiken' game was 'Seiken Densetsu 2' dubbed here as 'Secret of Mana' and the 3rd 'Seiken Densetsu 3', which we were supposed to get as 'Mana 2' never came. And of course you know the rest. Then came 'Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana'. Which we got as 'Legend of Mana'. Some thought that it was 4th installment but then came 'Seiken Densetsu 4'. Dubbed here as 'Dawn of Mana'. The final 4th game throwing a monkey wrench at those who thought they had it all figured out. When actually the only thing that stayed the same was the first half of the title. Even with the numbers the continuity was vague. But every game put out was part of that franchise. A franchise that spun off from FF but in a short time became it's own. The only series that is NOT part of 'FF' is the 'Saga' series. Which came over here as the 'FF Legends' games. And of course they've been released correctly with later installments. One series starts out original, gets renamed FF here while not having any relation whatsoever. But another starts off being called an FF side story but spins into it's own series, leaving FF and chocobos behind.

So now they want to actually CREATE an FF gaiden series. Which now will truly be a gaiden series. Because now 'FF' has gone futuristic, with Nomura, feeding the fanboys with graphics so insanely awesome that even if the game sucked they'll still say it's the best thing since slice bread. So most likely SquareEnix wants to keep the old school venture for those wanting it. Keeping the hand-held revenues in their pockets. Of course with 'Hironobu Sakaguchi' gone I wonder who they'll get to helm this series. Akihiko is great for the art, but can they get 'Matsuno' back to do a story? Who else could they get? I'm curious to see how this new series is going to work out.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
Out of interest I watched some gameplay videos of Blazblue. Visually it is of fast consummate quality, as far as 2D fighters are concerned.

The same I cannot say for the audio. If certain basic moves are repeated in rapid succession, so too will the corresponding voice clips of the character performing them. The effect is annoying to a non-playing observer. I'd have liked there to be some sort of 'voice sample AI' preventing such repetition, by alternating the lines played when players continue to execute the same move- if necessary record more lines to vary the combat dialogue.

Naturally, these qualms could probably apply to dozens of other fighting games as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Sakura Taisen 5 wrote:
I haven't seen this level of unselfishness since Working Designs was around.Fantastic job sirs. :D

I can't believe Blazblue came to the 360.I don't get paid till Friday!

Indeed, its been a very long time since I've seen this level of unselfishness. I think I'll buy this game though, looks cool and is a reasonable price as well. Also, it will be the first (and hopefully not last) playstation two game I've bought in two years.

As for Rune Factory 3, I have a feeling this is going to be a fantastic game.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Indeed, its been a very long time since I've seen this level of unselfishness. I think I'll buy this game though, looks cool and is a reasonable price as well. Also, it will be the first (and hopefully not last) playstation two game I've bought in two years.

Shin Megami Tensei, man. Unless you hate JRPG's with a passion, you're totally missing out.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Ah, BlazBlue. Normally I don't care for fighting games, at all, but I think it not only looks amazing, but is unique. Given that I'm fairly certain getting the artbook with the game is out of the question, I don't think I'll be picking it up till it drops in price, but I will probably get it eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3