• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Kara no Kyoukai Film's Trailer, Ad Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Looks interesting as always. I'm looking forward to seeing the last couple films.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
As am I, but I'm not sure the last two can top movie 5. The first four just felt like a built up to that one, so the rest will probably only feel like the falling action for me.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
FFFF~

Will someone please bring these movies over here? Pretty please? With sugar on top? And ice cream in the middle?
DPX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Cool, does this mean we can has it now?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
*Adds pleas for licensing to the crowd*
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
:3
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
+ over 9000 to the license wishes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
FFFF~

Will someone please bring these movies over here? Pretty please? With sugar on top? And ice cream in the middle?

Indeed, it needs an R1 license badly.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
Is she really an amnesiac?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Is she really an amnesiac?
I just caught that (was too busy just picking out the links to really read it last night)... I don't really think Shiki is amnesiac, is she? I mean, she was in a coma for a while, and she was a little out of it when she woke up, but if anything, like Touko says, it's more denial/stubborness(/uncertainty about her eyes) than actual amnesia. She gives no indication that she forgot about her past/family/self (Shiki or SHIKI) after waking up, that I can recall.

Perhaps another viewing of the first five films is in order, to refresh my memory :D
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
Okay, skimming through movie 4 again, and they talk about how the doctors (mis)diagnosed Shiki with 失語症(しつごしょう, which is translated in the subtitles and the dictionary I checked as aphasia, speech impairment), but she doesn't really have aphasia, as demonstrated by her conversation with Touko.

However, later, Touko talks about Shiki having a hole in her heart (figuratively speaking, of course) and rebuilding ones' self, but again I think that she is referring to Shiki dealing with SHIKI, not something quite as simple as amnesia.

spoiler[Since Shiki and SHIKI were two individual personalities inside the same person, SHIKI's 'death' while Shiki was in the hospital meant that she (Shiki) lost access to SHIKI's memories, and since Shiki often let SHIKI interact with Mikiya, Shiki lost many of their shared memories of Mikiya. This is probably why Shiki says she can't remember his name, and Touko probably recognizes or suspects this, which is why she keeps Mikiya from seeing Shiki after she wakes up. But because Shiki, not SHIKI, was the predominant personality, it is only bits and pieces of her past that are missing to her (Shiki). She does lose SHIKI's memories, but she does not lose her memories of SHIKI (obviously, since she is telling Touko about it later).]

In a way I guess you could say that Shiki's situation is more like amnesia than any other "real" diagnosable mental or medical condition, but it's unique enough that simply calling it amnesia is a bit misleading, I think.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I believe that each of the movies were specially focused in different things and i liked all of them therefore i wouldn't compare them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1