• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Escaflowne Movie Gets U.S. Blu-Ray Disc on September 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
How about releasing the TV series on Blu-Ray instead? Escaflowne movie was barely satisfactory imo
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
How about releasing the TV series on Blu-Ray instead? Escaflowne movie was barely satisfactory imo

Seconded. Even years removed from watching the edited-for-kids-TV version of the TV series, the movie seemed terribly awkward in terms of construction.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

I haven't seen either yet, so I can't comment on their relative quality, but it's definitely cheaper to release a single movie on Blu-ray than an entire series. Blu-ray is new enough that releasing much of anything on it is a bit of a risk in a market like anime where the sales are already low. If releases like this do well, then we're more likely to see series on Blu-ray as well. Really, if we want to see full series on Blu-ray, we need to buy what the anime companies do release on Blu-ray so that they think that it's profitable enough to release full series. This is likely especially true when what has been released is a movie related to a series.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
I'm curious about reading more opinions if this is a good movie or not, especially in comparison to the tv series. I wonder why they chose this particular movie for blu-ray. I thought if the animation was relatively old enough the additional detail capability of a blu-ray disc doesn't really add anything, compared to standard dvd. The same goes with the sound portion. Maybe they can clean things up or add sound quality that wasn't there before. It's cool though that they are at least trying something on blu-ray.
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote
The movie was ok, but it was more for the crowd who had seen the series first, methinks. I personally wasn't that impressed with it, but that's my opinion.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
I would excited if I thought the movie was actually good. Sure, it'll look decent on Blu-Ray I think, but that little to help the construction/pacing/story/etc. problems that ruined it for me. And given that I watched the movie way before the series, I don't find it possible that my dislike of it stems from 'it wasn't like the series' or anything of that sort (not that I'm a big fan of the series either).
Senna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
The movie certainly can't compare with the TV series in matters of character development, plot, etc. I certainly prefer the series for all those things and more. However, the visuals for the movie are still sweet (the fight in the lava field? Yes, please). I don't know how improved (if at all) the movie will look on blu-ray, but I can certainly see the rationale for it.

(Yes, the movie redeems itself for me because of the visuals. Oh, and because of, very mild spoiler, spoiler[Dilandau looking super and running around in his underwear.]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Senna wrote:
The movie certainly can't compare with the TV series in matters of character development, plot, etc. I certainly prefer the series for all those things and more. However, the visuals for the movie are still sweet (the fight in the lava field? Yes, please). I don't know how improved (if at all) the movie will look on blu-ray, but I can certainly see the rationale for it.

(Yes, the movie redeems itself for me because of the visuals. Oh, and because of, very mild spoiler, spoiler[Dilandau looking super and running around in his underwear.]

I haven't seen the series yet, but I can tell the pacing and what not were off, and that there was barely any characterization. But I'm a huge fan of these types of movies if they have immense budgets: this movie, Macross DYRL, some others. So it was a great movie for me, and I'm sure that BD will improve it only further.
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The movie looked rather pretty, but the TV series looked so wonderful already that it wasn't much of a step up, and that is pretty much all it has going for it. I'd buy a BD box-set of Escaflowne in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't even waste my time watching this turd of a movie again.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
It's a a beautiful movie with top-notch production values and no story or character development whatsoever and a huge cop-out "final battle".

I already have it on DVD, that's good enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Geez, a lot of bad reviews. So I wonder why they even bother giving this a Blu-ray release. Why not release more popular anime movies on BD? Confused
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Shepperoni wrote:
Geez, a lot of bad reviews. So I wonder why they even bother giving this a Blu-ray release. Why not release more popular anime movies on BD? Confused

Like Code Geass and Gundam 00 (okay, not movies, but the point's still there). Who knows, though. Maybe they think it'll sell decent. I, for one, won't ever waste my time watching it again regardless of format.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Just FYI, Bandai has already changed the official release date for the Esca Movie BD back two weeks to Sept 15th. Smile

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
Bleh. The movie was inferior to the series in every way but the production levels. It's not a very popular anime (at least compared to the series), so I'm sort of surprised they selected it for Blu-ray release. Maybe, being shorter, it was a cheaper investment on their part.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Personally I love this movie. Particularly the opening scene where Van slaughters a ton of soldier on an airship; it's just incredible. If you liked Escaflowne TV for action, you'll love this. If you like Escaflowne TV for characters, story, or love triangle drama, this movie will disappoint you.

I personally started getting bored with the TV series after a while; I'm not sure why. I like this movie because it conveys the same general feel in a shorter running timespan. Although the characters may be a little different. Van is a lot more gruff, angry, and violent at the beginning of this movie than I remember him being at the beginning of the TV show.

Anyway, I still recommend it. This will look incredible on Blu-Ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2