• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams 'Altered' Charger Girl Ju-den Chan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
So...it will be censored. FU, CR, not interested in censored anime for ANY reason.
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
It's practically a given that anything by Bow Ditama is bound to be wrong for any and all reasons imaginable, so to censor his work is really a severe blow to the actual content of the show. Granted that the show is probably best described as "gutter trash" but that's what makes Ditama stand out. His unabashed lack for moral decency intermixed with an occasionally serious story brings together two anime styles that would otherwise be seen as polar opposites.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
It's practically a given that anything by Bow Ditama is bound to be wrong for any and all reasons imaginable, so to censor his work is really a severe blow to the actual content of the show. Granted that the show is probably best described as "gutter trash" but that's what makes Ditama stand out. His unabashed lack for moral decency intermixed with an occasionally serious story brings together two anime styles that would otherwise be seen as polar opposites.

More or less. Censoring it would be like censoring Queen's Blade, removing the entire reason why people watch the show in the first place. Yeah it's a terrible show from all your normal aspects of story-making, but that's not why it was made.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
DarkHunter6523 wrote:

More or less. Censoring it would be like censoring Queen's Blade, removing the entire reason why people watch the show in the first place. Yeah it's a terrible show from all your normal aspects of story-making, but that's not why it was made.

"Nope, you are wrong. This anime was clearly made for a general audience and needs greater acceptation. It is just that those dumb Japaneses didn't realize this when they animated it and so we have to fix their mistakes."
dan888

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I for one am disappointed to see Crunchyroll choose to air the censored version of this, especially since this is almost as bad as censoring something like Queen's Blade, it removes much of the reason people would want to watch this. If they want to do this to appeal to a broader audience, they should have both versions online, one requiring an 18+ verification.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
To CR's credit, they're not an adults-only website, and to my knowledge do not have a fully-implemented age verification system or legal disclaimers for adult content.
Although a general viewing audience won't mind the fact the show is censored, others may be inclined to view it in a manner contrary to CR's intentions upon reading this news. That is to say, legal streaming means could in this case be shunned by some of the title's viewing audience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is kind of random with which versions they wind up with, even for things with uncensored versions already released.

They have the uncensored versions of some shows, such as Code Geass and Kigurumikku V3, but the censored versions of others, such as School Days. Doesn't seem to be much of an intentional pattern to it on CR's side.

This may have been more about making sure Japanese residents paying 2000yen/month for AT-X service don't feel ripped off as it was about adjusting for Crunchyroll's audience.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Censoring anime? I thought we had moved past this!

What the hell, Crunchyroll? Why do you have to be such pussies about Ju-den-Chan?
Geotrio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first two episodes yesterday on CR and can confirm that they fogged up all the nudity. But here's the kicker: they left a couple of scenes where the girl pisses herself intact. So I guess Crunchyroll's reasoning is this: nudity is bad but girls wetting themselves is a-ok.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Way to fail CR. Based on how bad the story of this is, I seriously doubt they're going to gain any audience by giving a censored version. All they've done is ensure that those that want to see it in all its "glory" will head to the torrents instead.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I can understand taking out the peeing stuff, sincei t is rather disgusting. But nudity isn't to bad. Oh well, the show wasn't that great anyways.
The_Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Seems like they were pressured by avex to air the censored version. I think CR should have offered an uncensored version for 18+ people as well.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
LOL, now that its got all this attention because CR censored it, you can bet the uncensored version is gonna pop up pirated all over the place.
Geotrio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
I can understand taking out the peeing stuff, sincei t is rather disgusting

Except the peeing wasn't taken out. It was the only thing risqué left untouched in the Crunchyroll streams.
Fuku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I was originally upset but when I heard that the pissing wasn't censored then I was relieved.

Who cares anyway?! This is a legal streaming anime that we can watch for free! I'll get the DVDs for the nudity. You are all going to support them over this anime that you all feel so strongly about and buy the DVDs too right...right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6