• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Back From Los Angeles Edition

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Interesting bit on the animation of Japanese shows, and I think it's also worth mentioning that the less fps animation of Japanese cartoons is part of why they had a hard time in America in the early days, since they were considered inferior and ugly by many.

EDIT: To cite an interview my good buddy Ghostlightning did with the president of Toei animation Philippines:

"mechafetish: I think what’s interesting is there’s a market for merchandise. There’s a clear demand for your product outside Japan. Why has there been no effort to localize or translate the anime for international consumption?

Soya Sachou: TOEI Animation is the biggest company, but it is very small relative to most. Most animation companies only have a production department. Only TOEI has a department for sales. Sometimes these companies don’t know how to sell their product to advertisers and networks. Only now have companies been looking at the US as a market.

The US market is actually very closed, welcoming only those shows which are part of the US culture. It’s like the US is the ‘original’ source of animation, as if saying ‘you are fake’

ghostlightning: Really?

Soya Sachou: Yes. A long time ago, like in the 1960s until the late 1980s. [...] The Japanese style of animation is very different from the American style. The US style is FULL animation. The Japanese style is limited [...] because the number of frames per second is fewer. In film the camera shoots or plays at 24 frames per second. The Americans would draw 24 drawings. But the Japanese style is only 8. Only 8 drawings in one second.The animation result is very different. If the US style is more focused on the amount of movement, how smoothly the movement looks, but the Japanese focus is on how beautiful the drawing is, or how cool the pose or style of the character is. The action is important too, the timing of the movement."

Source: http://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/03/02/interview-toei/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Clearly Mr. Flake wasn't getting enough hits on his video and decided that this was a quick way to do it. I personally lasted about 30 seconds.
Nermal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed your comments during the ANN panel at AX. The picture you posted of yourself for the banner contest does you little justice Wink Keep up the good work!
giascle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
hey brian

hey

I dare you to make one post without mentioning 4chan.
Avarice_WP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Interesting letter about Japanese animation versus american Animation styles. One of the biggest complaints that I see people have with anime is the 'crappy animation'. The lower framerate really does bug some people- and I have tried to explain to friends that the lower framerate counters the cost of the detailed drawings. There just isn't a large enough budget to fully animate these shows with large framerates and extravagent details. Animators do the best they can. Anime movies can fill the screen with animation due to the bigger budgets, but does anyone know of any high framerate anime shows?

Also- the flake of the week... wow. I managed to get through the entire clip, but I am amazed there is a whole season of this stuff...
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Once Bamboo graduates, she's going to strap on her jetpack (jetpacks will be commercially available in 2013 when she finally graduates, after all) and fly across the globe, righting wrongs and curing diseases by kicking selective individuals very angrily in the crotch.

You forgot that while they will be commercially available, it will take 9 or 10 months to pay off the student loans. So she will have to lease, and won't be able to get hers until early 2014. Unless you just leaked ANN's graduation gift that is.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
It's so cute when people think you're mad at them for reporting them! You know, because they aren't breaking the rules or anything!

What a fail almost flake, I wasn't offended or anything!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
The memory of people is very selective. They scoff at anime because of its frame rate, but never seem to notice western animation in general get away with virtually the same thing. I've even seen the trick of panning the camera across a still drawing in American, and indeed older British animation. Only those with too much time on their hands seem to notice and make a noise about it. Also it seems to me that when I hear, or read this complaint, it usually turns out to be just an excuse to dis foreign animation just because it's foreign. Wink
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote
I loved the comic you drew in response to that tired question about the future of the industry. Very Happy

As for the low framerate thing, I'm basically with everyone who posted about it above. I'd rather put up with a low framerate and have beautiful pictures than sit through a fully animated show with characters that look like anthropomorphic turds.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The memory of people is very selective. They scoff at anime because of its frame rate, but never seem to notice western animation in general get away with virtually the same thing.

Well said Mohawk52. Some people are just looking for an excuse not to like something that's different. On the subject of cheap American animation, this says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaRk6GCACSA . I'd rather take cheap Japanese animation where they at least care about characterization and plot, over most of the tripe that came from Filmation, later Hanna Barbera, et al. and eventually inspired certain popular but lifeless cartoons of today.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the link, Iritscen. That's pretty funny and so true.

But, I never thought of framerates in anime versus western animation before; I guess I focus more on the art style and the storylines...

Oh, and I couldn't last through the Flake of the Week's video either. I zoomed forward to see if anything changed and then gave up.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just terribly unobservant, but I've never really been able to notice the difference between animation shot on threes versus on twos.

Also, Brain's cartoons just keep getting better and better.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
In most discussions on frame rate I ask for specific examples from both countries. Usually the US example is a high budget movie and the Japanese one a TV show, often a TV show from decades ago.

For as fair comparison you need to look at TV shows from the last decade, and more than just a few.
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
I misread Brian's cartoon as "gain knowledge of the future of the mime industry". I mourn the punchline that never was.

(I remember when every third AMV was set to "Heart of Sword". It was years before I could listen to that song.)
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
Oh, it's also probably worth mentioning how framerates have dropped in American cartoons lately, too. There is some new action show on CN that is actually embarrassing to watch in it's jumpiness, and we have stuff like that new Transformers anime which is pretty horrid (even more disappointingly, it supposedly has Studio 4c helping on it. W.T.F.) Plus we have a lot of cartoons being made in Flash like Johnny Test. Ugh.

But just like there is Seirei no Moribito and Eden of the East, there is Chowder and Flapjack. Playing field is pretty even these days, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4