• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, June 28-July 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Lucky Star, w00t-w00t! Cool
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Yay Lucky Star and TMoHS

I'm wondering how the heck Negima!?:Neo got on the listing. Only really die hard fans would want to read that. Even then not that many do read it
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
This volume of Naruto was rather weak compared to the recent ones before it. spoiler[More training, an anti-climatic ending to an otherwise solid fight, and more of the "Naruto is the chosen one" while training. The last few chapters made up for it. I mean, I got chills when Iruka was looking up at that one incarnation of Pain. I thought to myself "that bastard can't kill Iruka! He's the coolest ninja who's never shown his abilities!" Anime hyper Looks like the next volume will be great, though.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
This volume of Naruto was rather weak compared to the recent ones before it. spoiler[More training, an anti-climatic ending to an otherwise solid fight, and more of the "Naruto is the chosen one" while training. The last few chapters made up for it. I mean, I got chills when Iruka was looking up at that one incarnation of Pain. I thought to myself "that bastard can't kill Iruka! He's the coolest ninja who's never shown his abilities!" Anime hyper Looks like the next volume will be great, though.]

Of course you spoiler[can kill Iruka, you then just bring him back to life with a miracle chakra infusion! 'Cause remember kids, nobody ever has to die... unless they're old, a villain, or not popular enough!] (I'm a jaded ex-Naruto fan, can you tell?)
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Of course you spoiler[can kill Iruka, you then just bring him back to life with a miracle chakra infusion! 'Cause remember kids, nobody ever has to die... unless they're old, a villain, or not popular enough!] (I'm a jaded ex-Naruto fan, can you tell?)

Eh... lotsa popular ninja have died and not come back. I wish the stupid miracle chakra infusion would happen for them. But then I'd probably complain if it happened.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Eh... lotsa popular ninja have died and not come back. I wish the stupid miracle chakra infusion would happen for them. But then I'd probably complain if it happened.

Like who? spoiler[Jiraiya? He was old. The Hokage? He was old. Sarutobi-sensei? Not ragingly popular. Some random characters in people's back stories? Ditto.] But no, if you're spoiler[Gaara or Kakashi], he can kill you off for dramatic effect and then go "Nope! That was me just yanking your chain!"

I know I'm the one who brought it up and I probably shouldn't since I don't actually want to get into a major argument over a series that I've just outgrown more than anything. It's a pretty good series... for children.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I didn't even know the Lucky Star 4-koma manga was licensed.

(Crosses fingers for the K-On! 4-koma manga to also be licensed eventually.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
And so Fruits Basket ends. Where have all the years gone? Although it had clearly run it's plotted course, I was still sad reading the final volume, knowing I was seeing new material for the last time and saying goodbye to the cast members one by one. It was a wonderful ride laughing and crying with them and watching the principal characters grow up in front of our eyes.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Like who? spoiler[Jiraiya? He was old. The Hokage? He was old. Sarutobi-sensei? Not ragingly popular. Some random characters in people's back stories? Ditto.] But no, if you're spoiler[Gaara or Kakashi], he can kill you off for dramatic effect and then go "Nope! That was me just yanking your chain!"

I know I'm the one who brought it up and I probably shouldn't since I don't actually want to get into a major argument over a series that I've just outgrown more than anything. It's a pretty good series... for children.

Like Bleach and One Piece have killed popular characters, dude get off it. You also forgot the spoiler[ the sound ninjas, one was killed by Gaara and the other two were sacrifices by Orochimaru, and the Itachi and Deidara who were pretty damn popular in case you forgot]
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:11 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Pretty good series for children. Really? Rolling Eyes That can be said about pretty 90% (maybe even more) of the stuff that's popular at any given point in the anime/manga universe. I doubt you could find a person on this forum who isn't a fan of a childrens series, and if you really wanted to get into opening that can of worms you can take into consideration that the majority of anime to come out of Japan has the targeted audience of children. I'm guilty of loving a kid's manga, many in fact, and I'd be shocked beyond belief to find you weren't a fan of one either.

But getting to the point you did bring it up, and your attitude and unfair criticism for the series of something that most every series out there is guilty of annoys me, so I'm going to address it anyway. In Naruto, popular characters do die, but I'm going to straight out say that your standards of "if they do kill someone, they're old" is total BS, mainly because of the fact that anyone outside the main cast of kids can be called "old", and despite that, any of the "old" characters that have died haven't died of old age.

I don't understand where you get that the character being old means the death is any less of an impact to the story. I was as big of a fan of spoiler[Jiraiya] as you can get, and I can tell you I haven't cried so much over a manga character since, well... since I dunno, something in Fruit's Basket maybe. But then on top of that you threw in the whole villain criteria, which I also have problems with mainly because anyone who pays attention to the deaths in Naruto, particular that of some of the "villains" can debate whether or not the villain who died was a villain in the end. It's a literary trick Kishimoto loves to pull, and a damn fine one to pull off for the tragedy effect that most kiddy manga don't even approach anywhere near well enough, if they even attempt to go in that direction at all.

Popular characters to have died:
spoiler[
Itachi Uchiha - Yeah, he falls under your villain standards, but really if you think long and hard about it, Itachi is the unsung hero of Konoha. Itachi's weird mind game with Sasuke of course is questionable, but in all his years of villainy in the Naruto manga Itachi never killed a Leaf Ninja that we know of outside of the Uchiha massacre. The Uchiha massacre was something Itachi was ordered to do for the safety of the village in a "do it or the village will break out into civil war, causing even more deaths" situation. Sure it was probably overkill, but if he refused the order he would have been labeled a traitor to Konoha. Not only that, but time and time again when he had plenty of opportunity to snatch up Naruto for Akatsuki, Itachi didn't go through with it. Don't forget that on top of all this, Itachi has always been insanely popular with fans.

Jiraiya- is a prime example of it, but your excuse was that he was old. Jiraiya was old-ER, but he was not anywhere near as old as Sarutobi, and he was always insanely popular. He was still in prime fighting condition, and still at the peak of his popularity when the author decided to do away with him.

Asuma Sarutobi
- you can claim he was old because he wasn't one of the kids (anyone is old compared to them depending on your definition) but he's about Kakashi's age, and was popular too. Not as popular as the main cast, but he hit the top 20 in the polls a number of times.

Haku - Another one who falls under your "villain" category, but really Haku is in a grey area with Itachi. He's one of the few "enemy" ninja who was around Naruto's age to die, and he also went through. Haku's only sin labeling him a villain is getting the notion in his head that choosing Zazuba as the person he loved and chose to protect with his life. Years later he still ranks high in the Shonen Jump character popularity polls.]

Even if death, characters still manage to be insanely popular with Naruto as the 4th Hokage, Haku, and now even spoiler[Obito are showing. Heck, Obito could even sort of count as a kid ninja, not a bad guy, who died too. Not sure when it was revealed he was dead.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1