• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - The Artist's Alley, Part 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cetriya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
1, lets see how much discussion this will breed, especially with the recent post of is Oel successful

the dooms day look of a lot of artists is saddening but as an artist at AA, I understand why they have that look.

you have to fight it at all sides, with the con organizers to not treat you like an after thought (placing you in bad areas, waiting till the last min to release tables, constantly uping prices though you dont get to see the rest of the con), family members who think art is useless, many con goes who dont pass by (many avoiding the AA) and when you finally do get the few to pass by, Its harder to push original stuff.

And I know its harder to push original stuff, thats not my problem. my problem is that so many of the AA do mediocre fan art that those that would like to buy originals or nice art dont pass by because they dont belive that its there. I try to make sure I'm at an end table because I've had people come to my table, buy stuff and then leave, not passing by the Alley.

This is a minor pet peeve thats made me lol the more times I hear it. If you dont have money, I dont mind it. really, Im not hurt, I only hurt when you refuse to flip through my book like i'm diseased or something. I'm not there to make money other then my table cost (which just to many focus on, making hundreds of dollars on other peoples work. Doujin artists dont make that kind of money) and ticket cost, I just want you to go check out my web site.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Bamboo and Sara... when you throw out situational stuffs like something that happened at TokyoPop, can you give a hair of background, or even a link? It'd help if I knew a little where to go to find the background on what you are talking about for understanding's sake...

'tanks.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
Hey, Bamboo and Sara... when you throw out situational stuffs like something that happened at TokyoPop, can you give a hair of background, or even a link? It'd help if I knew a little where to go to find the background on what you are talking about for understanding's sake...

'tanks.

Here it is: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-06-03/tokyopop-to-restructure

But, yeah I did have to stop and look it up because I had forgotten what the deal was.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
thanks G- musta missed the memo... I remember reading about it, but not the impact. When you are outside the industry, the impact is always a little bit dim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1