• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fighting for Nothing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Blargh, I really enjoyed Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure on the DS, for the unique musical presentation more than the challenge, and I was hoping the Puppet Princess follow-up was going to hit the DS as well.

I guess the Puppet Princess sequel and the handheld version of Gran Turismo will be the first serious incentives for me to purchase a PSP (though, if I get one, it'll be an older PSP and not the PSP Go! because I'm only interested in getting physical copies of games).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
That Fullmetal Alchemist game does sound awesome if they dig deep and get a lot of characters.

But a Sig and Alex Louis combo would be badass, with Armstrong creating spikes while Sig hurls the person on them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm talking about Koichi Sugiyama, the esteemed composer who's scored Dragon Quest games for as long as the franchise has existed. While that's earned him a favorable reputation among game geeks, Sugiyama is also one of those people who denies that Japan committed any real atrocities during World War II. In public advertisements, Sugiyama argues that the Nanking Massacre, the extensively documented slaughter of around 300,000 Chinese civlians and captured soldiers, was completely fabricated and that Korean women were never forced into prostitution by the Japanese military.

Yeah, well Wagner gave Hitler some tips for the Final Solution, and people forgave him. Anyway, I'm only playing for the game first, and his music second, so as long as I don't buy his albums, it's all good, right? Meanwhile, my concern is with the apologists running the government.

Quote:
Yet Sugiyama is so prominent with his opinions that I'm surprised when Dragon Quest fans don't seem to care. You'd think they would at least consider the small percentage of their money that indirectly supports Sugiyama's loathsome politics.

Again, we're fans of Dragon Quest first, Sugiyama second. If the guy was running the show, then it'd be a different story. Besides, at this point, what difference would it make to boycott the guy, when he's set for life? Plus, the series is already a low seller here, compared to FF, so it's not like boycotting would make a difference, anyway.

Quote:
It's a celebrated composer ignoring all evidence and pretending that hundreds of thousands were never butchered by Japanese forces. Sugiyama and those who share his views are no better than the lunatics who think the Holocaust never happened, and they should be treated with similar contempt.

I agree. But if you're that serious about it, how about coming up with something more constructive, like creating a petition demanding the guy retract his statements, or asking organizations to strip him of his awards?

Quote:
The high-school punk is often ignored in modern games,

Guess someone's heard of Rival Schools and Ouendan. Rolling Eyes
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
This Vanguard Princess game is quite nice. Likable artwork and the such.

I only got to do a run through with my keyboard, but tomorrow I'm gonna hook up a gamepad and learn some combos and such.
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
I wish NISA didn't make so many mistakes with the DS port of Rhapsody. Sadly, I think that, and the supposedly low sales in Japan, killed the chances of the series given a second home on the DS.
This new game looks interesting in different ways, but we'll see.

Also, Todd, how come you didn't mention that Ryo's "little secret" in IM@S: DS? Wink Or Pulseman, for that matter?

I'm very excited about Calling. I never thought the this game would actually come out.

Last edited by bleuster on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
I'm more interested in FMA's Prince of the Dawn game for the Wii. Judging by the trailer, it looks more like a movie than a game, so I wonder how the gameplay will be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
Bummer you didn't have time to stuff in the Valkyria Chronicles 2 announcement.

Anyways, glad LKS is finally coming out... Sadly it's on the week I'm taking off for Otakon and will be out of town for a week and a half afterwards.

And... I never knew that tidbit about Koichi Sugiyama but... w/e. Yeah, I get it's horrible and he's an idiot/freak for thinking so but...

It's none of my concern.

So Todd, you planning to do an Mana Khemia 2 review in august? I was just curious.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to a new FMA game. It'd be great to have a 2/3D fighter with RPG elements like the Naruto games. Smile

The Azumanga game sure brings back memories. I just could never get it working properly on Windows XP or Vista. Sad

And if VC 2 is coming, I'm DEFINITELY getting it! There's certainly room to see the war from another viewpoint (or even to visit the first intracontinental war). I still have to download the Selvaria/Imperial/bonus missions from the first game though. Razz
Seljuk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
Oh man, the hours I've wasted playing Melty Blood AC. The game is fantastic. Fun combos that aren't too hard to learn, entertaining moves, and a Tsukihime cast? You should have mentioned there is a application for netplay, I got my college suite to download it and we have a blast playing each other over the internet. White Len forever.

I've been trying to make Vanguard Princess work for over a week now, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It seems to download and install okay, but when I open it, I get a quick window that flashes open, then closes before I can do anything about it. I'm already set to locale Japanese, I was just wondering if anyone had advice to fix the problem, or if they encountered the same thing.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
I hope that Underground fighting will continue, because many good doujin fighters were left out in favor of free games.
Eternal Fighter Zero
Higurashi Daybreak
Immaterial and Missing Power
Scarlet Weather Phapsody
Magical Battle Arena

Melty Blood is pure gold and I have yet to be bored even after four years of playing. All of Melty Blood games for PC have been translated by fans. This is rather important for those hoping to enjoy the long and branching story mode in the original and ReACT.

Quote:
The most troubling is one of the support fighters, who looks like a Japanese cartoon version of a little girl in maid-like bondage gear. Maybe the game's defenders should pretend that she's really a dwarf hooker like the one in Total Recall.
I have to agree her outfit is kind of revealing around chest and stomach, but I totally miss what part of it resembles bondage gear. I see no reason to comment about her age, because it's not like we have not seen plenty of underaged characters in fighting games before.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
I still think the best doujin fighter I've played is Super Cosplay Taisen/Wars, which I think is now most updated as Super Cosplay Wars Ultra. Even though the title is obviously based off of Super Robot Wars, it's not just based on mechs. Though there is a cosplayer for Getter Robo, Gundam Wing, Gundam 0079, GaoGaiGar, and SRW Originals in the game it also has cosplayers for animes like Naruto, Hunter X Hunter, Digimon, Saint Seiya, etc. and even non-anime like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street.

Not to mention that the DaiZengar cosplayer boss is just insanely hard to beat...
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
I was surprised by Todd's social commentary, but I liked that he did it. Thanks for the info, Todd. Smile

The doujin fighting scene sounds pretty wild, and I'm totally intrigued now by Arm Joe. I'll have to look that up when I get home. Smile
The World We Know

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Thanks for informing me about the game creator's revisionist thinking. I've always been fascinated by how human beings could possibly do the atrocities at Nanking (how could anyone deny the extensive photography of the event!). As a Korean-American, I also understand the hurt that still resounds for Koreans today regarding what the Japanese government and military did during occupation.

If anyone's interest, Iris Chang (a tragic figure herself)'s controversial work, The Rape of Nanking, should be available at any major bookstore.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:

And if VC 2 is coming, I'm DEFINITELY getting it! There's certainly room to see the war from another viewpoint (or even to visit the first intracontinental war). I still have to download the Selvaria/Imperial/bonus missions from the first game though. Razz

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is coming... for PSP. It's seemingly going to be a prequel to the first game.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
Man there are a lot of fighting games being covered. So I guess 'BlazeBlue' took charge. I've seen 'Melty Blood' in action and it's pretty slick.

I enjoyed the 'Puppet Princess' (aka Rhapsody) series for what was ported over. We got one but there were two more we would never see. 'Little Princess' the sequel and 'Angel's Present' the final follow up and backstory surrounding the entire series. Considering the re-release of the game on the DS I was hoping for the release of the sequel. But it's interesting to see that they are doing a spiritual successor. I'm surprised they are doing this for the PSP. Mind you the PSP does need more games that appeal to certain gamers. But I feel this series would have done better on the DS. Well, if it doesn't work out on PSP then they'll end up porting it on DS later. Of course if that happens, I really don't want to have to wait that long. Since I plan on purchasing a PSP anyway the question would be should I pick up the PSP version or wait for a revised DS version. I'll be looking forward to this game. But that the hell is up with that title? Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3