• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-07-17]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with Jezzy on AMVs being able to inspire actual sales. If I hadn't seen the Hold Me Now Princess Tutu AMV I would've never given it a chance, let along buy all the DVDs plus the manga. I think that AMV is single handedly responsible for introducing half the active fandom to PT in the first place.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
On why One Piece is so great: Maybe it's because it's not in alot of pieces, and in one convient package?
Follow Up Question on the preview guides: Is there a reason you choose certain seasons, like fall and spring instead of winter and summer, since they have the same difference inbetween?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
I don't really watch AMV's, but I would much rather a regular music video or anime theme song usually. That's not to say I haven't watched them, but I haven't in quite a while.

But I too enjoy reading One Piece. Currently, its one of my favorite Shonen Jump series currently out. Both the manga and anime are great, but truthfully, I enjoy the manga more.

The reason? Artwork, dialogue, plot difference(when applicable) and of course, color pages. When Mr. Oda does a color page, its so sharp and bright and usually pretty awesome. Also, with manga format, depending on the manga artist, character expressions can appear more serious or cheerful.

But I also really like the dialogue in manga version of One Piece. If the dialogue is exciting and cool, reading will be as fun as viewing the artwork. But in Oda's case, both the dialogue and artwork are both exceptional, so those are the main reasons I enjoy reading One Piece as much as I do.

On another note, how did a family of ducks enter a mall?
giascle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
It was confirmed Moot made number one by some guys hacking the website, not by sheer number of voters. They made several different things happen, like make other people unwillingly vote for him when they select someone else, and continually add X number of votes for him. They even managed to make the first letter of the top twenty contestants spell out, "MARBLECAKE ALSO THE GAME."

And why don't the editors just not watch as much new anime so they have time to write reviews?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Setting my own theories on One Piece aside for a moment, people on the internet spend a vastly inordinate amount of time trying to justify to complete strangers why they enjoy some kind of mindless popcorn entertainment. It seems like these days it's not enough to simply say something like "I enjoy it because it's fun," or "I like it because I just do." And really, that's all everything comes down to.

Well, in general I feel that it's vital for people to be able to explain why they feel some way or think something. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't back up something you think with reasons, it's a pretty silly thing to think. That said, entertainment is the possible exception to this. Generally I still like to have reasons for why I like or dislike things, but assuming you're appropriately humble about it, I think it's okay to just go with your gut feeling.

Quote:
This season alone, there's about two-dozen brand-new TV shows and OAV releases clogging up Japan's airwaves, and we here at ANN do at least try to strive for a certain level of quality in our coverage and reviews. Which is something that would have to take a bit of a drop if we actually were to attempt to write something at length about each and every one of those shows.

One thing I never got though is why you have each reviewer do each show. Personally I would prefer to hear just one person's view if it meant you could cover more anime and for longer.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote
I hope you busy editors and reviewers are still making time to watch the current season, for me it's one of the best in recent memory.

As for AMVs, the number of good ones I can count on my fingers. Really not my thing, though I will admit those select few have left me impressed.
Dahling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
On the subject of AMVs I have to say that the people who think 'All those AMVs on Youtube suck! It's so hard to find any good ones!' just need to remember Youtube has that handy little feature on their search that sorts by rating. ;D While not perfect it certainly helps thin the lines, though you end up getting alot of official/live action videos for songs too.

Plus while Hold Me Now is an AMAZING AMV, I'm surprised no one mentioned Sierra Lorna since basically anything she's done is awesome. Very Happy
scrapps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

One thing I never got though is why you have each reviewer do each show. Personally I would prefer to hear just one person's view if it meant you could cover more anime and for longer.

Isn't this what they used to do when they started doing the previews? And then people wanted more opinions on the shows, so they do what they do now.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
Let me say one thing-I hate One Piece-that and anything with the words Dragonball in the title.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Let me say one thing-I hate One Piece-that and anything with the words Dragonball in the title.

Thank you for that illuminating and very interesting opinion. Glad you cleared that up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I lived in Wyoming for a year, staying with my grandparents, in the 5th grade.

Heh, I lived in Wyoming for a year when I was a kid as well. Unfortunately, I lived in the crappy, ugly part of Wyoming. Not the pretty part. Sad

Quote:
and our beleaguered review and editorial staff is stretched thin as it is.

Whenever I read stuff like that my first reaction is always, "Hey guys, I'd be happy to help you out!" Laughing But I already turned one hobby into a job and I'm not sure I want to do it again. So instead I'll just wish the beleaguered review and editorial staff a hearty ganbatte and hope they find more reviewers. Because those previews are pretty cool. Very Happy
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
Dahling wrote:

Plus while Hold Me Now is an AMAZING AMV, I'm surprised no one mentioned Sierra Lorna since basically anything she's done is awesome. Very Happy

I second that! Very Happy Both she and her sister are very talented. Worlds Unbroken is one of my favorite AMVs ever.
Senna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
Follow Up Question on the preview guides: Is there a reason you choose certain seasons, like fall and spring instead of winter and summer, since they have the same difference inbetween?

Though of course I can't answer for the ANN staff, I suspect this is because the spring (shows starting in April) and fall (shows starting in October) seasons are the "major" ones, which have more new series airing altogether, and, though it's hard to quantify, seem to have more "major" (big name, destined to be popular) series as well. Not to say that there are never popular/good shows in winter/summer, but most of the big ones hit in spring/fall.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
On One Piece: I too am a big fan of One Piece. Besides the reasons that Brian listed (which are all valid) I would say that one of the main reasons I enjoy One Piece is that it has done what 99.999% of other Shonen series can't do: go more than 200 episodes and still STAY INTERESTING. The way that the later arcs tie into stories from the first arcs show that Eichiiro Oda is looking at the whole picture, as opposed to doing one arc, and then creating an entirely independent arc that makes no attempts to reference previous story points or continue developing characters (as has happened in both Bleach and Naruto. The fact that he mentioned a "half-way point" at the conclusion of Enies Lobby is also relieving.

On previews: I enjoy the preview guides in the form that they have right now, and the way that I see it I don't really think of ANN as a site I go to for previews of upcoming anime most of the time. Maybe I'm in a minority but I come to ANN for news, since it is the Anime News Netowrk. There are lots of sites that offer reviews and previews of upcoming anime so if that's something I'm interested I would venture that direction.

On moot Definitely 4chan shenanigans. That's all.

On Brian: I love you.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I like AMV Hell's approach to AMVs; 30 seconds then onto the next. In most cases it's possible to get the joke across in just 30 seconds. There are those AMVs that put some real effort into the work and can be interesting all the way through, but they tend to stand out on their own anyways.

I would like to get back into One Piece but there's just so much to catch up on after FOX dropped it and there's no certainty as to when it will ever end or if it will have a satisfactory ending. So it's hard to get back into it. I have found that Slap-Up Party is one of those animes that one just watches to enjoy. The stories aren't too deep and the show is generally episodic. And I'm still not tired of the end credits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3