• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noboru Ishiguro Confirms Live-Action Yamato in Development

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Uh... hm. I don't know how to feel about this.

On the one hand, it's live-action adaptation of an animated program. Usually, that doesn't go well. In fact, the only examples I can think of it working out was the first Flintstones movie and maybe Speed Racer, because they played up the cheesiness.

On the other hand, it's Noboru Ishiguro, who directed such classics as Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and the Space Battleship Yamato television series. He only ever steered me wrong with that disaster Tytania , which I'm willing to forgive him for.

Any chance of Leiji Matsumoto being consulted? It's bad enough Nishizaki is leaving him out of the new anime series, but he should get some sort of consulting position with this, even if it isn't animated. Matsumoto must be attached for it to be any good, is my feeling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
What? They do this all the time in Japan, taking animated series or manga and turning them into live action dramas. Many of them are pretty decent (the Nodame Cantabile drama is especially excellent).

The news post didn't specify if it was going to be a movie or a drama, though a movie is probably more likely.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Uh... hm. I don't know how to feel about this.

On the one hand, it's live-action adaptation of an animated program. Usually, that doesn't go well. In fact, the only examples I can think of it working out was the first Flintstones movie and maybe Speed Racer, because they played up the cheesiness.

On the other hand, it's Noboru Ishiguro, who directed such classics as Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and the Space Battleship Yamato television series. He only ever steered me wrong with that disaster Tytania , which I'm willing to forgive him for.

Any chance of Leiji Matsumoto being consulted? It's bad enough Nishizaki is leaving him out of the new anime series, but he should get some sort of consulting position with this, even if it isn't animated. Matsumoto must be attached for it to be any good, is my feeling.
Tytania was awesome >.<....just cut off lamely and some pretty cliche characters...but what doesnt have cliche characters. im looking foward to this
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
This is a space opera they're adapting, though. And I don't think it'll be pulling a BSG- or Firefly-level budget.
DirtnSky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Shoji Kawamori started off this BS tree huggery with macross zero and many (specifical gonzo) jumped in to limp results and poor ratings. Back then even the hardened Otaku wouldn't take that cool aid drink and it showed in the poor sells of those products. Sadly, like all of hollyweird. Japan can't get over the aching itch of guilt for worthless reasons.

Sometimes it works like 'The Road Warrior' because the idiocy was regulated to the beginning and immediately never mentioned again. Sadly again, that was the only real exception to the guilt of raping mother gaia syndrome.

Plot: MAN RAPES mother gaia and the world turns into a sickly gray ash heap, so good hearted tree huggin' emo-thick hippies jump on a ship to solve problem made by MAN!

Sad.. Sad.. and I'm doubtful this live "action" movie will be made due to all that suing and litigations still brewing on a daily basis on this. Like the crap with Macross. The actual cost of paying off everyone even before starting the films to roll would send the bill to make this emo-rific turd well past the two hundred Million dollar price tag.

And I sign in relief for it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
DirtnSky, what the hell does what you just said have to do with Space Battleship Yamato?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
DirtnSky, what the hell does what you just said have to do with Space Battleship Yamato?

This:

Quote:
The biggest theme of the new anime film will be environmental issues and how humans have treated the planet Earth.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
DirtnSky wrote:
Shoji Kawamori started off this BS tree huggery with macross zero and many (specifical gonzo) jumped in to limp results and poor ratings. Back then even the hardened Otaku wouldn't take that cool aid drink and it showed in the poor sells of those products. Sadly, like all of hollyweird. Japan can't get over the aching itch of guilt for worthless reasons.

Sometimes it works like 'The Road Warrior' because the idiocy was regulated to the beginning and immediately never mentioned again. Sadly again, that was the only real exception to the guilt of raping mother gaia syndrome.

Plot: MAN RAPES mother gaia and the world turns into a sickly gray ash heap, so good hearted tree huggin' emo-thick hippies jump on a ship to solve problem made by MAN!

Sad.. Sad.. and I'm doubtful this live "action" movie will be made due to all that suing and litigations still brewing on a daily basis on this. Like the crap with Macross. The actual cost of paying off everyone even before starting the films to roll would send the bill to make this emo-rific turd well past the two hundred Million dollar price tag.

And I sign in relief for it.

God damn be more sensitive about it.

OH NO ENVIRONMENTAL THEMES MY PRECIOUS LIBERTARIANISM IS THREATENED
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
The only anime that's ever made me sick of environmentalism was Arjuna. Luckily they give you a third audio track for the music only. "Fight the evil polluting monsters!" "Okay! Haaaaaa-!" "Wait, don't fight them!"

That anime was full of more overbearing and unsubtle messages on the subject than almost anything I've ever seen next to Fern Gully. Shame, it had such good animation too. But yeah, I doubt this film would be nearly that bad, and at worst we can just pretend it doesn't exist so it doesn't tarnish the Yamato name more than it already has been.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I must've missed the environmental angle part. Huh. But that's for the new television anime? I don't see any TV anime version or animated movie version of Yamato succeeding without Matsumoto, and since Nishizaki is leaving him out because of their fued, the premise and themes are the least of my worries about it.

I fail to see what's so "emo" about wanting to add in a message about protecting the planet we live on. I'm pretty sure environmentalism is more helpful than hurtful, since we all have to live here.

Anyway, using the term "emo" identifies DirtnSky as an Internet Tough Guy, thus invalidating anything he has to say, in perpetuity, throughout the universe.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
Um, Yamato's always had an environmental message. I mean, it's about people saving an earth from radiation bombs, for eff's sakes! Anyway, hiring the Smap Bros. makes me a bit wary. And Matsumoto slaps his name on just about every mediocre spin-off he can think of! [*cough* Maetel Legend *cough*] So it's not like he's the key to this movie's success. But at least Di$ney's not gonna rape it and make the ship the U.S.S. Arizona. However, who cares about cultural origins when I'm bashing an American company? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:47 am; edited 2 times in total
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
:I fail to see what's so "emo" about wanting to add in a message
:about protecting the planet we live on. I'm pretty sure
:environmentalism is more helpful than hurtful, since we all have to
:live here.

Sorry, I gotta vote with Dirty here. I got sick of that crap at LEAST 6-7 years ago. Really, I'm at the point where I just don't care anymore. If we REALLY wanna help the planet, why don't we just get OFF of it, already? Let's start building colony cylanders and landing people on Mars already. That would be a LOT more helpful than boring audiences with sermens (sp?) that would only be appreciated by people that don't actually WATCH shows like this. :p

I will agree with you on ONE thing, though. Yamato without Leiji won't work. And Nishizaki needs to learn that.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Um, Yamato's always had an environmental message. I mean, it's about people saving an earth from radiation bombs, for eff's sakes!

Giant meteors (or asteroids) actually, not bombs -- for Babylon 5 fans, it is what happened to Narn, only over a longer period of time.

As to an "environmental message," I don't know what that would be. Normally, the environmental popes like Al Gore say that no matter what happens on Earth, it is man's fault. Space Battleship Yamato is about an alien force attempting to terraform Earth to their needs, which obviously means that people on Earth have to die so that the people of Gamilus can live. Yes, Gamilus was a dying world but so was their "pristine" sister world. The difference is that one planet chose to accept their fate and the others decided to fight to survive. What they didn't count on was that with a little aid, the humans were going to fight back with the prize being the restoration of their planet deus ex machina style. ^_~

Having seen the CGI work done for the Space Battleship Yamato 2 pachinko game, this live-action title could rock on the FX side. If they can get a good story and good actors while removing some of the 70's cheese (and having more than just Yuki as the do-it-all babe of the ship), I think this could be a winner.

Edit: OK, I see the environmental discussion came up because ANN mentioned the new movie, which that will be the theme of. Well, I don't need to see that movie because I already know the story -- man was allowed to restore Earth to a pristine condition and raped it and now Yamato has to bail evil man out from his evil.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it will have a wide theater release. I swear I am going to have to rent a place in Tokyo just to visit to see movie releases...
jtstellar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
well the upside.. for them.. is that the environmentalism tone will at least attract some audience of the mainstream.. the ones who lack the ability to read scientific evidences from both side of the argument but simply take one side for all kinds of bizarre reasons.. and maybe some of the many baby boomers who simply lack a greater goal in their life beyond some kind of activism that gets nowhere. you know, the usual brain dead mass that sometimes media tries too hard to appeal to. but no! don't misunderstand, i am all for another film with great cgi and sfx.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2