• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crows x Worst: An Introduction

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdhd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I am a huge fan of "Crow" and "Worst." I would be buying them like crazy. Glad I don't live in Japan.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm kicking myself in the head for passing up on that PVC Statue of Riki Hobby Search had on sale for 100 Yen last Xmas.
GordanHam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
The figures were actually what made me discover the series. I remember seeing them on toyslogic and when I went to AX DMP was selling $1 manga, and one of them happened to be Worst. It's a shame that it's on hold and that their is no english release of crows. Great introduction though ^^ I've been wondering what exactly the whole thing was about and you opened my eyes. Because of this I probably will pursue the series and figures. If I get hooked it your damn fault!!!

Commence Plugging:
This is not a billboard, it's a forum, so treat it as such.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
Nice article. I see these on HLJ so often, but really had no idea just what the story was on them. They won't really catch on with me since I'm an articulation kind of guy, but I do appreciate the quality work on these.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
I own a few gashapon of this series. I saw those very nice large figurines when I was in Japan last year, wish I could've afford maybe one Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
I suggest folks get the Worst manga fast before it goes out of print.

The characters are very interesting and the art is great.

The first Crows movie is out in the US from Media Blasters, great stuff. Directed by Takeshi Miike, he has done a great job of capturing the feel of Takahashi's stories. Plus the band Street Beats is shown performing in a club.

In October I plan to be in Tokyo and Crows x Worst material is high on my shopping list along with kabuki DVD discs.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote
PS The ultimate tie in item I saw some time ago was a motorcycle with the mods one of the characters has on his.

Something you could do yourself by buying a bike then all the items he swapped out. But the money and time would probably make it worthwhile to just buy the already moded bike, if you were looking to buy a new motorcycle.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
Thanks very much for this article. I've been a little curious about the series since I occasionally see figures from it on a Hong Kong site I occasionally check out--I remembered the title because the figures looked interesting and male anime/manga figures are pretty rare. The figures look very nice and detailed--those are some of the best clothes sculpts I've seen, even on the blind-box figure. I was most impressed with the DIVE figures, especially since they're a mid-price($40-50)line--from the pictures the quality looks more like a high-end line. This article has really gotten me interested in the series. I would love to see more articles like this on ANN.
Fireline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I require a The Front of Armament jacket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is the first I've heard about this franchise. I can't say I find the designs too becoming though- the delinquents dress in a manner which, over here, would be more befitting for a West End boutique mannequin than an antisocial youth. The red Vespa seems somewhat out of place as well; its presence blurs the mod/rocker distinction somewhat.
Not that I'm an expert on pop culture or anything discernibly sociable though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Ugh thanks to this article I've been reading Crows all day instead of boning up on XML. Anime cry Also some of those figures are just gorgeous and while I swore off figures for a while, I might have to start looking in to those. I hate you writer of this article! Anime hyper Or maybe I love you a lot...
nqm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
While i've never read the manga or seen Mike's film adaptation of it. I have to admit those figures are pretty awesome. Great detail and I may have to actually start following this series. Ah only Japan would bring back a hairstyle that's been dead for 50 years. Then again in a repressed society who wouldn't idolize the likes of James Dean.
ddrt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
double roast, sorry.

Last edited by ddrt on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
ddrt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Well, this is the first I've heard about this franchise. I can't say I find the designs too becoming though- the delinquents dress in a manner which, over here, would be more befitting for a West End boutique mannequin than an antisocial youth. The red Vespa seems somewhat out of place as well; its presence blurs the mod/rocker distinction somewhat.
Not that I'm an expert on pop culture or anything discernibly sociable though...

The clothes they wear were early marketed to the author so that they could draw current clothes in the real world on to the characters in the story, good marketing, and hope that the popularity would make many buy the clothes. It worked
The scooter has significance to the story, you really would have to read crows to understand.
Senna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I kind of think I saw some of these figures when I was in Japan -- I scoured stores for male figures (something of a rarity, outside of characters from popular shounen series anyway) and I remember coming across some badass-looking figures like these and wondering where they were from. Now I know ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2