• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-07-24]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And, sadly, Macross isn't the surefire hit franchise in the US that it once was. ADV spent a fortune remastering and re-releasing the original series, and its sales ranged from mediocre to terrible.

Pardon me, but it was AnimEigo that remastered SDF Macross—ADV "merely" picked up the license after that and dubbed it in English.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, with respect to this week's question, I don't think I have a dream team. That's because for the most part I don't believe you can take two fantastic people and be assured of a good film (box-office success does not indicate how good a film is).

And really, I just want the movies to be made, and be good. I don't care who makes it; relative unknowns can still make decent films. I just want an adaptation that is respectful to the source material, which means making the minimum number of changes necessary to ensure success in the Western markets. After all, there was a reason why the original show or movie was popular enough to warrant Hollywood's attention, and mucking around with that reason is self-defeating.

My perfect director would know their craft but not come with a lot of baggage; there is a thing such as being too well-known. They would strive to make an actual adaptation rather than a movie loosely inspired by the source Anime. And they would keep the magic (or spirit if you will) of the source material in as much as possible. In other words, a director who wouldn't tolerate any executive nonsense about making Goku a high-school student.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
I thought FRONTIER was the least goofiest of all the Macross TV shows, though MACROSS 7 is still my favorite because it is the goofiest and most bizarre, and Fire Bomber is my favorite Macross musical act.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
Another thing that probably hurts the chances of any "Macross" anime getting brought over is the fact that so many Western fans seem to believe that any "Macross" that wasn't made in the 80's automatically sucks (kind of like how so many idiots think the "Star Wars" prequels and "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" were terrible). And obviously, if there are so few people who actually like a product, why would anyone in their right minds go through all the trouble of bringing something so expensive over?
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, there's really nothing like the smell of "Don't talk to strangers" propaganda in the morning. Laughing

Quote:
We no longer want research and pages-long feature articles; we want bite-sized snippets of glib information and gossip, delivered to us instantly via grammatically incorrect 180-word Twitter feeds.

Man, if Twitter posts were 180 words long then at least some would be worth reading. For now, it's just good material for Twitter Tracker.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ruro niko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
I really wish I read last week for the anime club question.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Another thing that probably hurts the chances of any "Macross" anime getting brought over is the fact that so many Western fans seem to believe that any "Macross" that wasn't made in the 80's automatically sucks (kind of like how so many idiots think the "Star Wars" prequels and "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" were terrible). And obviously, if there are so few people who actually like a product, why would anyone in their right minds go through all the trouble of bringing something so expensive over?

I think if it was legally possible they'd be releasing the new Macross material in English in a snap.

Just like Macross Plus did in the 90s, Macross Zero would still sell on the strength of the dogfights alone. And there's certainly been more niche SF titles than Macross Frontier.

Macross 7 is the thing that might a tricky sell, but didn't they record English language versions of the songs in the 90s in the hope of an English release? Or is my memory failing me?
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
ruro niko wrote:
Me too. I could have related the amazing story of the one and only time I attempted to join an anime club and how I was permanently scared off of the idea by (a) the mysterious middle aged man who had somehow managed to find his way in, (b) that within the first few minutes of being there, I was told that I had no taste (I said I didn't particularly like Wolf's Rain) and (c) that a ridiculously creepy boy I had never met before confessed his love to me because we both liked candy corn.

Never again.
ruro niko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
HJSoulma wrote:
ruro niko wrote:
Me too. I could have related the amazing story of the one and only time I attempted to join an anime club and how I was permanently scared off of the idea by (a) the mysterious middle aged man who had somehow managed to find his way in, (b) that within the first few minutes of being there, I was told that I had no taste (I said I didn't particularly like Wolf's Rain) and (c) that a ridiculously creepy boy I had never met before confessed his love to me because we both liked candy corn.

Never again.

I can definitely tell stories about (a). I probably would have just told the time we thought we would be shut down because someone lied to our university and falsely accused us of showing hentai in meetings. That was an entertaining situation.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
and it's only likely to get even harder until someone stumbles across the magic formula to monetize everything that's on the internet.

This line made me bust up laughing. I even spit my soda out! Seriously, I did!

Monetize the internet. What a pipe dream. What ever comes about to monetize, someone will come out with the free version.

Isn't that right, ANN?

[insert type="magazine ablaze"]

Oh, the irony!

[/insert]

Brian wrote:
Wanted to know about my dream team for an anime movie.

One of the things I have a hard time accepting is humans taking anime roles (yes, this means you, cosplayers). I'm not against it, but it's just weird to me.

Too weird to even think of adapting a movie from an anime. However, should I get past this hard time (doubtful), I would only take Ridley Scott as the dream director.

As for actors, none in Hollywood today. I'd have to open-cast. Keanu Reeves as Spike is a good reason why. It just seems to me he's the best fit in the pool of actors out there.

But the worse would be to find an anime which I could bring to the big screen. I simply can't think of one.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
My answer to this week's question is that I simply am not interested in yet another Hollywood adaption of a foreign property.

Maybe I'm just getting old inside, but I'm not at all that confident in Hollywood's ability to entertain me by taking my favourite Japanese cartoons and slapping a new coat of glossy over-produced paint on them. I got into anime because it was something strange and compelling; part of the fun is the continual discovery of different artists and their particular peculiar animated visions. When we factor Hollywood into the equation, it's as if Burger King had a brainstorm one day and decided American fast food needed sushi, but instead they'd just wrap hamburger ingredients in seaweed to make it more compatible with American taste buds. And While my contempt for Hollywood is marginally less than for Burger King, I remain unconvinced that the anime/Hollywood equation can ever produce results that I find satisfactory, never mind impressive.

Here's a batshit insane idea: how about instead of throwing money around and hoping someone strikes gold the anime industry focuses on...anime?
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Macross 7 is the thing that might a tricky sell, but didn't they record English language versions of the songs in the 90s in the hope of an English release? Or is my memory failing me?

They definately recorded English versions of a lot of the songs, but I think that might have just been an "English is cool!" kind of thing, as opposed to a "please license this show" kind of thing. Though I don't think the music would be the deciding factor in whether or not it could be marketed to the larger American anime fanbase.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

Well, while I'd be the first to say the Star Wars prequels and the KoCS were below the level of the originals (though ToD wasn't that good either, people, face it), the Macross series haven't been. All the ones I've seen have been really good (have not seen Macross 7) no matter what decade or at this point century they were in. Macross Plus is probably my favorite of the lot and it was mid-90s, but they've all been well worth watching.

The real barrier I see to Macross Frontier isn't its ridiculousness (I mean, Gurren Lagann was a hit, and it's nowhere near as ridiculous than that), but because of how much it relies on all the other series. True, you can fumble your way through with wikipedia, but it's replete with references to other series. Plot points refer back to things you'd know from the others; some of the music is taken from elsewhere; various in-jokes are all over the place. It was the 25th anniversary project, and it clearly expects some familiarity with the franchise. Given how little of Macross is available stateside, it could have a difficult time going mainstream for precisely that reason.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
question person thing wrote:
You once answered a question about why so many anime heroes are orphans. This one's somewhat related to that: Why are there so many anime and manga characters who grow up without a parent, because that parent left to follow their dream / find their purpose / dedicate their life to some cause? And the child never resents them for that but loves them unconditionally, doesn't have much of a problem with them abandoning him or her beyond being a little sad, and of course the child goes on to follow the same dream, the same calling, takes up the same job, and happily reunites with the parent thanks to it. Would this be a cultural thing, Japanese kids getting taught that work really is much more important than family or anything else, and that they shouldn't resent their parents for never having time for them, but should embrace this attitude and chose work over everything else too? Or am I just being cynical?

I would like to very firmly point at Fullmetal Alchemist, where Edward Elric positively loathes his father for leaving them, which he perceives as having contributed to the ailing health and eventual death of their mother. I agree with Bryan on this one. It really only applies to happy-go-lucky shounen series, and even then, not all of them. You're just watching the wrong stuff. :p

DRWii wrote:
(kind of like how so many idiots think the "Star Wars" prequels and "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" were terrible)

Well, you might call me one of those idiots, but the Star Wars prequels were terrible story- and acting-wise compared to the originals, that much is true. And Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was an ok movie, but it didn't feel the least bit like an Indiana Jones movie, which made me sad. I had really been looking forward to it.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Dear Brian,

I'm torn. I hate you because you made me lose 57 seconds of my life to a video and song that will remain in my head until I drive them out with some other heinous song. And yet I love you because we both like candy corn.

What's a girl to do?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3