• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, July 12-18

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Yay Fruits Basket a well deserved spot at number one.Kinda shocked that Inuyasha made the list even though i am still following it ; the feedback from my friends is they lost interest awhile ago.Maybe the now monthly release and animation of the rest of the series will keep it as regular on the list.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
None of this is really shocking, however it is nice to see more than titles on the charts rather than seven Naruto volumes. It shows there is more than just an elite cluster of series are being appreciated.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I really don't believe these sometimes. I'm a big otaku and go to a decent amount of cons, and I see what's popular and what's not, and yet I've never heard of a lot of the series on these lists like "Kitchen Princess."

I feel like these aren't real.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
I really don't believe these sometimes. I'm a big otaku and go to a decent amount of cons, and I see what's popular and what's not, and yet I've never heard of a lot of the series on these lists like "Kitchen Princess."

You should read Right Turn Only then. Carlo has reviewed several volumes of Kitchen Princess, IIRC. I didn't realize it was popular enough to make a best seller list though...good for it!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Yaaaay FINALLY something that is NOT Bleach or Naruto to top the list! Happy for Furuba, especially since this is the last time it will make any more top sellers lists...
LKK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:

You should read Right Turn Only then. Carlo has reviewed several volumes of Kitchen Princess, IIRC. I didn't realize it was popular enough to make a best seller list though...good for it!

Kitchen Princess has done well enough for Del Rey that the company is publishing its sequel manga and another manga by the same mangaka. (Source)
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
Kitchen Princess has done well enough for Del Rey that the company is publishing its sequel manga and another manga by the same mangaka. (Source)
Ahh! With my joy at the Yen Press licenses, I totally forgot to check Del-Rey! WOW, I'm so happy to hear this news!

The entire reason I started reading Kitchen Princess is because of a mention of it in Del-Rey's newsletter basically saying "whoa, this one surprised us with it's high sales." It's extremely good, bordering on Fruts Basket good. Shocked

@ skafreak51: Something to remember is that there is a big difference between what is "popular" and what "sells." More than once an anime or manga has been licensed because of it's "popularity" only to have very bad sales numbers. This is because of fans who just read scanlations and do illegal downloads constantly fanboy/fangirl-ing over a title that they will never actually spend a cent on.

Also, cons are a poor reference if you ask me. Cons show off the most dedicated groups of fans generally and sometimes those groups of fans can have very short lists of favorites. Small but vocal fanbases are nothing compared to silent majorities.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
It's always nice to see Negima! on the list, even if the English release is only 3 volumes or so behind the Japanese release now O_o. Still hoping on the LE covers being released in English with the up-coming volumes though
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could remember the exact details of how one get's on the NY times Best Seller list, but I can say it has nothing to do with how well a book sell nor how popular it is. The publisher simply pays their way into the list and well it's a whole song and dance.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
I wish I could remember the exact details of how one get's on the NY times Best Seller list, but I can say it has nothing to do with how well a book sell nor how popular it is. The publisher simply pays their way into the list and well it's a whole song and dance.

That may have been how it was once done but I'm fairly certain that the New York Times data is now taken from BookScan, which does indeed track sales data from booksellers in the United States. If you go to the Times' actual list, instead of just reading the copy of it from ANN, you'll see this notes:

Quote:
Rankings reflect sales of graphic novels, for the week ending July 18, at many thousands of venues where a wide range of books are sold nationwide. These include hundreds of independent book retailers (statistically weighted to represent all such outlets); national, regional and local chains; online and multimedia entertainment retailers; university, gift, supermarket, discount department stores and newsstands. In addition, these rankings also include unit sales reported by retailers nationwide that specialize in graphic novels and comic books.

If it's anything like BookNet in Canada, it doesn't include ALL sales (for example, I know Wal-Mart sells books but refuses to give out its sales data to an outside group) but it should have the majority of them.

However before the advent of groups like BookScan and BookNet, the best seller lists were indeed not based on actual sales and generally were what the group involved in creating the list thought should be the bestsellers.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Ah... no. That's far from what happens.

I work in a small, independent bookstore and it goes like this: We fill out a form weekly of what books we've sold (basically isbns and quantity), and that is sent directly to the New York Times through their website designed for booksellers. If we're even a day late with our numbers we have a rep from them calling in asking what's going on and if they can be any sort of assistance. I myself was surprised at how on top of things they seem, especially seeing as we're a small bookstore. They must have a huge staff to divide the bookstores of the country, but then again I'm sure they have an easier way of getting the numbers from the chain stores. I wouldn't be surprised at how accurate they are.

I'll have to ask my boss if we get any incentive for filling it out. No idea in that department.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'll have to ask my boss if we get any incentive for filling it out. No idea in that department.

If it's anything like BookNet in Canada, there is no incentive for the bookstores beyond having access to the data, which IIRC the stores get for free. Publishers and literary agents however have to pay a subscription based on their size in order to access the database, again IIRC (it's been two years since I learnt about this so I'm a bit rusty).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1