• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-ON! Album is 1st Anime Character CDs to Top Weekly Chart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
"a two-CD mini-album" - isn't that an oxymoron or am I missing something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"a two-CD mini-album" - isn't that an oxymoron or am I missing something?

It's two mini album disks. Does that make sense? Two disks, each with 4 tracks. Seems a waste to me, you think they could have at least put some Karaoke tracks or something.

But I don't get what all the K-ON bashing is about. It's nothing deep, but it's entertaining. And I really enjoy the music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gritts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
I am curious where I can snag a copy. If not just this album, then others. Anime albums seem to be slow on their arrival to the states.. or am I just shopping in all the wrong places? Smile

I enjoyed K-ON!. I didn't expect deep story lines or even stunning animation / details. So with that, I guess I was not disappointed. I found it a humorous series to watch.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
"mini-album" (ミニアルバム) is the term used in Japanese. Amazon.co.jp has a listing for a limited edition that I can't quite read, but it looks like two discs, but only 31 minutes total. I can't guess why they did that. One picture suggests that this also comes with sheet music.
nagato316

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
The real bad news about this is that there were other albums that actually deserved this on the charts.

Yeah...who would have thought that _anything_ else would have debuted higher than the new Haruhi Suzumiya OP in the same week, let alone chart at #1 in its debut week. Not like KyoAni has been allegedly trying to sabotage its flagship franchise in recent wee...oh wait... Wink

Swissman wrote:
nechronius wrote:
Even then you can tell that a lot of parts were just rotoscoped, which was also easy to spot in Haruhi's band episode as well.

I don't think those scenes in K-ON and Haruhi were rotoscoped just because they had animated some movements more realistically than in the rest of the series.

You are correct, sir. Anyone who's curious can go to the last "Making of Haruhi Suzumiya" DVD extra (where Aya Hirano visits the KyoAni studios), where they explain that footage of Hirano's singing was used for reference, and there may have been some tracing IIRC for early "rough drafts" of the ENOZ sequence, but rotoscoping per se is never mentioned as having been used.

rizuchan wrote:

It's two mini album disks. Does that make sense? Two disks, each with 4 tracks. Seems a waste to me, you think they could have at least put some Karaoke tracks or something.

Would have been nice...a little bit of lead vocals from Yui goes a very very long way. Rolling Eyes
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
Yeah...who would have thought that _anything_ else would have debuted higher than the new Haruhi Suzumiya OP in the same week, let alone chart at #1 in its debut week. Not like KyoAni has been allegedly trying to sabotage its flagship franchise in recent wee...oh wait... Wink

Lantis handles the music for Haruhi. On the other hand, K-On!'s music is handled by Pony-Canyon. KyoAni is an animation production studio and likely has little control over music production or sales...
nagato316

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
KyoAni is an animation production studio and likely has little control over music production or sales...

I understand that the Kyoto Animation doesn't have any bearing on sales of music from K-ON! or Haruhi. I was merely observing how the K-ON! album debuted at #1, as well as the fact that the K-ON! album was released on the same week as Aya Hirano's Super Driver CD single (the new "2nd Season" OP of Haruhi Suzumiya). Based on all the media exposure the Haruhi franchise has had since its beginning, some may perceive this week's chart activity as a sign that the Haruhi franchise isn't as invulnerable as the Haruhiists would like to think. As to the "sabotage" comment, that was just a snarky allusion to the recent Endless Eight story arc. I figured it was commonplace enough knowledge that folks would get the reference and thus get my joke that the inability of Super Driver to surpass K-On! tuneage might be another sign of the Haruhi backlash.
Manwards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

It's the same four tracks on each disc, but the second disc is the songs performed "live" at their two school festivals. I was initially sceptical, but pleasantly surprised to discover that the "live" versions are full-length, not just ripped straight from the TV episodes, and feature a different main vocalist (Yui instead of Mio, or vice versa) to the studio versions. Other little touches, like hearing Ritsu counting at the start of the songs, and the crowd clapping at the end, make them a really good bonus.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
The real bad news about this is that there were other albums that actually deserved this on the charts.

I was talking more about "real" albums actually.
Plus the Haruhi song charted pretty well. It just was on the single chart instead of the album one.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Turn your hopes down before watching an anime then you're gonna have an anime much greater than what u had hoped for.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Has a Disney soundtrack ever reached number 1 on the American equivalent of Oricon?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
K-On! was my most favourite slice-of-life moé series made since the first season of Minami-ke, but, then again, I was fully expecting the focus to be on the girls and not the music.

Nice to see the music doing well. I can only hope that Bandai Entertainment could license at least a few of the CD's over to the North American market, either as extras with the anime or as standalone items, for those of us who still only buy music on physical media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Turn your hopes down before watching an anime then you're gonna have an anime much greater than what u had hoped for.

Having lowered expectations is good in any situation, then almost any positive outcome is a surprise and the effect of it magnified.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
gritts wrote:
I am curious where I can snag a copy. If not just this album, then others. Anime albums seem to be slow on their arrival to the states.. or am I just shopping in all the wrong places? Smile

yesasia.com is usually the best place to buy anime soundtracks and jpop CDs and such - at least that I'm aware of. cdjapan.co.jp is good, but the shipping can be a killer. amazon.co.jp can work as well, but the shipping is also a killer there (even more so, I think, but I'd have to do actual comparisons to be sure), and while you can get part of the site in English, most of it isn't so it can be entertaining to find stuff sometimes.

I rarely buy anime or jpop CDs from anywhere that's really in the states (though yesasia actually seems to ship from the states if shipping to the states) like amazon.com or anything of the sort because the prices start hitting $50 a CD and such. It's much cheaper to import them yourself. It's not cheap mind you, but it is cheaper.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It's cheaper at CDJapan recently, as Amazon.co.jp now only allows EMS service, the ultra-expensive yet super-fast shipping alternative. Plus, CDJapan gives away coupons and frequent shopper points. They can cut the cost of shipping down a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3