• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Survey Asks Which Anime That Fans Want on BD in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, someone actually put down Simoun! Shocked

And yes, Kara no Kyoukai on BD will be literally orgasmic to the eyes!
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Frankly, I don't see the point in pushing them on Blu Ray. Anime fans want their series at reasonble prices, and even for a normal film, prices are still too steep. On top of that these series are small.

If you have a series like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Votoms or Inu Yasha, then such Blu Ray cuts become more relevant.

Whether japanese anime fans will get a fair price, though, is doubtful.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote
Is moe really better on BD? Apparently so...

Honestly, I barely want half of those shows on DVD. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Frankly, I don't see the point in pushing them on Blu Ray. Anime fans want their series at reasonble prices, and even for a normal film, prices are still too steep. On top of that these series are small.

If you have a series like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Votoms or Inu Yasha, then such Blu Ray cuts become more relevant.

What does series length have to do with Blu-ray?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
What does series length have to do with Blu-ray?

Some people have gotten into their heads that since Blu Ray discs hold more data than DVDs, they'll be used to provide large numbers of episodes in DVD quality on a single disc. Instead of what's actually going to happen, which is higher quality and roughly the same episode count per disc as DVD.
kyoukix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
Surprising to discover that someone actually wants Haruhi Suzumiya in bluray after the “renewal” fiasco. However, note that is actually at #10 and by no means in the “top 5” or “top 3” it was when it was released on DVD 2 years ago…

Also I was disappointed to not see any vintage anime and almost none mecha in the survey Sad
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Frankly, I don't see the point in pushing them on Blu Ray. Anime fans want their series at reasonable prices, and even for a normal film, prices are still too steep. On top of that these series are small.

This is Japan. Otaku tend to want the best quality possible. Also, DVDs are already expensive there so what's another 1000 yen per BD.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote
With Cyber Formula being a lone outlier, these titles are all relatively recent. One can naturally question the storytelling merits of many of them, but it seems that contemporary visuals are desired in HD to the utmost extent.
Though I may be stating the obvious here, I'd agree with this. If I were to enjoy a televised series to a greater extent on a Blu-Ray than a standard-definition release, the aesthetic detail that'd be necessary can be attained nowadays more so than in years past, KyoAni providing some prime examples.
Exceptions exist of course, and feature films are another matter entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
I'm still wondering how Kissdum made the list.

I can definitely agree with GL, Kanon, Clannad, KnK, DC, VC and Kamichuu!.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
Shouldn't the first enquiry be if the show was actually animated in HD or not...
There's already a few upscaled anime releases on Blu-ray, which look no better than DVD and are just a waste of time if you ask me.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Shouldn't the first enquiry be if the show was actually animated in HD or not...
There's already a few upscaled anime releases on Blu-ray, which look no better than DVD and are just a waste of time if you ask me.

Audio is also improved even in the upscale IIRC. So it's not a waste of time.

There's prob HD masters for some of these titles, like Kanon, Clannad and Dennou Coil. KnK is a theatrical release so it's definitely a BD option.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote
As someone who isn't THAT impressed by Blu-Ray, I'd probably only buy Gurren Lagann and MOHS from that list, since they're both in my top 10.

I didn't realize the Japanese liked Zegapain that much. It bombed so much here Bandai didn't even bother with a boxset!
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:00 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Audio is also improved even in the upscale IIRC. So it's not a waste of time.

As someone who is more than pleased with the LPCM audio available on most R2 DVD's, purchasing an upscaled Blu-ray release simply for slightly improved audio that my ears won't be able to tell apart is a waste of time.
Others may have a different point of view, but I'd much rather spend my money on native HD releases that actually make use of the Blu-ray format.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Kara no Kyoukai on BD? Awesome. Epic, even. If I had Paradox Spiral on BD it would make my life.
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote
am i the only one who wants Haruhi Suzumiya on blu-ray?

i would have loved to see the opening and closing in 1080p at 5.1 uncompressed audio...

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI, Live Alive, and The Day Of Sagittarius would have been awesome to watch it at hi-def video/audio....those episodes had so much emphasis on both animation and sound/music....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4