• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network Online Heads to UK, Ponyo UK Opening in 2010

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd woohoo if I didn't own the only three titles listed that I'm interested in on DVD, but excellent news nevertheless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
I wonder how long this service will last?
Worth a look I'm sure but like Shiroi Hane the series I like I have on DVD. I haven't seen Lady of Death though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quote
I'm a little torn on seeing Ponyo. Luckily it is coming to a nearby theater, but the Jonas and Cyrus kids have me worried. They ruined that song.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm a little torn on seeing Ponyo. Luckily it is coming to a nearby theater, but the Jonas and Cyrus kids have me worried. They ruined that song.

Don't you get a dual release in the US? When a new Ghibli film (or something like the French animated film Persepolis) comes out here in Britain, the big multiplex cinemas show the dub and the arthouse cinemas show the sub.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:04 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Don't you get a dual release in the US? When a new Ghibli film (or something like the French animated film Persepolis) comes out here in Britain, the big multiplex cinemas show the dub and the arthouse cinemas show the sub.

That would prob depend on what area of the US you lived in. I'm in a rural area so I'd be lucky to see it dubbed. It's only going to be in 800 theaters total IIRC. (To put in perspective, total number of theaters in US is estimated at 18,410)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That would prob depend on what area of the US you lived in. I'm in a rural area so I'd be lucky to see it dubbed. It's only going to be in 800 theaters total IIRC. (To put in perspective, total number of theaters in US is estimated at 18,410)

I think that's the estimate of screens, not theaters. But when they say 800 theaters, it more or less means screens because this film will probably only get a small limited release, down to only a few showings a day.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I think that's the estimate of screens, not theaters. But when they say 800 theaters, it more or less means screens because this film will probably only get a small limited release, down to only a few showings a day.

Then, it's worse, The estimate is 38,990 screens in the US.

Edit: Yippee! ADV is streaming outside the US.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
Cool, nice one ADV.

How this service survives, is down to what shows they get for it. I don't expect ADV to break the bank anytime soon.

I wish them success.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
ADV have tried DTO in the UK before, I remember seeing a few episodes of Air Gear free on Vizimo, which was exclusive there as there was no intention to release on DVD in the UK. Wasn't interested enough to purchase the rest. IIRC Lady Death was one of the other shows on there also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
Yes it's a great advantage having ADV back in the UK like this. Now all they have to do is show some original titles, and not just regurg the same things they were regurging back when TAN was on Propeller, then they could be on the way back to actually making some Sterling again.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Navigating Empire's impossible, so what was the reson given for the Ponyo delay? I mean I'm sure that kittens need to be sacrificed to convert film from NSTC to PAL but that's not that hard.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Yes it's a great advantage having ADV back in the UK like this. Now all they have to do is show some original titles, and not just regurg the same things they were regurging back when TAN was on Propeller, then they could be on the way back to actually making some Sterling again.
I will accept that this is a postive step, however, we're paying more for less again.

Even though it's not as bad as about 99.9% of all streaming servies, TANUK does the ol' boat of "Show them shows we can't show em" (Give 'im the Utena DON'T GIVE HIM THE UTENA! Ohhhhhh!)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
Well if they start showing the titles they stopped selling here in the middle of their distribution, like Wallflower, and Welcome to the NHK. then it might be worth me signing up, other wise it's a non-starter.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first few episodes of Nanaka (which only require registration since I had trouble paying for a premium account) and that has never been released here and is unlikely ever to be either. Hopefully shows like this will continue to be available, not a FUNimation-style "oops, we shouldn't have been streaming this to you, quick turn everything off"-style deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1