• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Reports US$13.8 Million Loss in Second Quarter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
As much as I am one of those people that likes to cut 4Kids, I sympathize with their bad economic status.
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
man...

have they EVER posted a profit ever since they gave up Pokemon license?

who in the right mind is financing that company? they're hemorrhaging money like banks that received stimulus package...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
part of me is feeling sorry for the employees of 4kids but the other part of me is laughing at how bad they've driven their business into the shitter
bigheart711

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
part of me is feeling sorry for the employees of 4kids but the other part of me is laughing at how bad they've driven their business into the shitter

I don't feel bad at all! 4Kids was bound to be in the shitter anyway Twisted Evil , but I still don't know when the F&%K they'll give up. Question
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
4Kids has some good shows...but, at the same time they have REALLY BAD shows.

I don't know who's idea it was to let go of the Pokemon license...but I hope they are not still at 4kids because that was their worse decision in past years.

Chaotic, TMNT, and Yugioh 5D's are still relatively good shows however, and I enjoy watching those.

Huntik, Dinosaur King, and Kamen Rider can go away.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
I kind of expect them to pick up the Battle Spirits anime, and air Kiba as time filler... wishful thinking.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I don't know who's idea it was to let go of the Pokemon license.

Hanging onto a license for the sheer reason to do it isn't good business. The Pokemon franchise has lost its steam in the US.

I'm guessing most people didn't read the article as it said the largest loss didn't come from its day-to-day operations. Given this aspect, I can see why 4Kids is selling itself off.

Television is dying. Some will accept this. Some won't. Those running 4Kids have seen the future and are bailing out. I don't blame them.

Yes, this is speculation on my part, but given the licensing costs, distribution costs, and business-related costs, all the while revenue is decreasing, tells me it's the reason.

Next up: NBC, ABC, and CBS. (which each has already stated their in the hurt and will be changing their schedule. CBS is starting with the 10pm Jay Leno show. Ouch.)
kaizoku00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope 4Kids dies slowly and painfully. Twisted Evil
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Gasero wrote:
I don't know who's idea it was to let go of the Pokemon license.

Hanging onto a license for the sheer reason to do it isn't good business. The Pokemon franchise has lost its steam in the US.

Uh, a cash cow losing stream and completely getting rid it are two different things.

They didn't drop Pokemon, Pokemon dropped them. Their license expired and the original license holders decided not to put the license back up for sale. They will handle the property themselves. It was disastrous for 4kids. Losing steam or not the franchise still brings in tons of cash.

If you had only one car, and couldn't afford another one, but you could only fill the tank ¾ full. Would you ditch the car and decide to walk instead? Of course you wouldn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
kaizoku00 wrote:

You MUST be a teenager. Wishing a company and its employees to go away sounds immature and stupid.

Although 4Kids has done some rather 'interesting' things with some of its acquisitions, I certainly wish no ill will upon them or any of their employees.

I hope that they all find something that works out the best for them.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:

Slowzhand wrote:
kaizoku00 wrote:

You MUST be a teenager. Wishing a company and its employees to go away sounds immature and stupid.

Although 4Kids has done some rather 'interesting' things with some of its acquisitions, I certainly wish no ill will upon them or any of their employees.

You realize he's trolling, right?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
kaizoku00 wrote:

From your mouth to God's ears. Twisted Evil
nhjm449

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Next up: NBC, ABC, and CBS. (which each has already stated their in the hurt and will be changing their schedule. CBS is starting with the 10pm Jay Leno show. Ouch.)

Leno is on NBC... >_>
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
nhjm449 wrote:
Leno is on NBC... >_>

Oops. You're right! Sorry about that.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Slowzhand wrote:
kaizoku00 wrote:

Oh please, get off your moral high horse. That idiot Khan has been running this company into the ground for eons now. It would almost be a mercy killing at this point. You're acting like this is new or something. And there's nothing wrong with wanting a company who produces a crappy product to go out of business. Sure its bad for the people who have to find new jobs, but actually how many people did they employ in the US anyways? This isn't like GM or something. I bet the number isn't really that high when you get right down to it. Also calling someone who doesn't praise 4Kids a troll is just a cheap way to defend your position.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2