• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Jyu-Oh-Sei GN 1-3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mninja2500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... I thought the anime was above average, and since there are extras in the manga, I might check it out from the library. Smile
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I wasn't a huge fan of the anime, but I think a lot of the issues I had with it might have been fixed if it had been a bit longer and had more time to flesh certain things out. I'm assuming a lot of material got crunched together in order to fit into the relatively short anime, so perhaps I'd enjoy the manga more.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
Casey wrote:
Women choose their mates—and no one is allowed to question their choice…or refuse it [...] It seems so improbable in the real world, but there is something undeniably hopeful about the formulation.

There's something undeniably hopeful about institutionalised non-consensual sexual relationships?

---

I'm vaguely interested in this title but I have two questions:

1) The review doesn't mention the physical quality of the books, which appear to have been released during the period when Tokyopop's standards hit rock bottom. Can anybody tell me if the standard of these is reasonable, or are they printed on see-through tissue paper?

2) Casey says "occasionally slapdash editing in the English edition" in the negatives but never really expands on that in the main body of the review. Can anybody enlighten me as to the editing issues she's referring to?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
1. The first two volumes are printed on the old paper, so there are no problems there. The final volume has flimsier paper and is sometimes slightly see-through, but it's nowhere near as bad as say Future Diary.

2. I didn't really notice it. Soundeffects are not translated, so it's not that. I found a few somewhat clunky/unclear sentences and a name or two that weren't translated properly (only noticible if you are familiar with Norse mythology).
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
Thanks Tamaria. Working on the assumption that this is in a similar vein to A, A' and To Terra, I'll put it on my "maybe" list.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
I didn't know this had been released. Thanks for putting it on my radar!
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Casey wrote:
Women choose their mates—and no one is allowed to question their choice…or refuse it [...] It seems so improbable in the real world, but there is something undeniably hopeful about the formulation.

There's something undeniably hopeful about institutionalised non-consensual sexual relationships?

That is my first question as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DPX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Lackshmana wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
Casey wrote:

This was on my mind as I read this as well. Now, if the genders were reversed, I wonder how "hopeful" this future would be...
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
DPX wrote:
Lackshmana wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
Casey wrote:

This was on my mind as I read this as well. Now, if the genders were reversed, I wonder how "hopeful" this future would be...

I'm just going to join this dogpile with a simple "what the hell?"
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
DPX wrote:
Lackshmana wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
Casey wrote:

If the situation were reversed it would be the past, not the future.

Casey appears to be of the brand of feminism that seems to believe that equality = women having total societal control. Equality means equality for men and women.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Those familiar with the anime will be pleased to hear that the anime does in fact track the story of the original manga quite faithfully.

D'oh, I hate double-buys (same exact story in multiple mediums.)
Quote:
However, there is noticeably more character development of at certain stages.

Then again... Woohoo!
Moomintroll wrote:
Casey wrote:

This also marks a departure from the anime, as it was pratically unheard of, but posssible, to refuse (as both Thor and Third did.)

Though, isn't the remark about spoiler[Zagi being the Blanc Top] technically a bit spoiler-ish? Or is the reveal played out with less suspense/flourish in the manga to permit better development of Thor's rival?

Last edited by bglassbrook on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DPX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
DPX wrote:
Lackshmana wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
Casey wrote:

If the situation were reversed it would be the past, not the future.

Casey appears to be of the brand of feminism that seems to believe that equality = women having total societal control. Equality means equality for men and women.

the very same brand that destroys credibility due to its extreme and often times contradictory nature. That one, right?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This also marks a departure from the anime, as it was pratically unheard of, but posssible, to refuse (as both Thor and Third did.)

It's the same in the manga.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Casey wrote:
But lest you think that the Kimaerans are just retrograde barbarians, it must be noted that, although they are about 70/30 male/female, they treat women with the highest level of respect. Women choose their mates—and no one is allowed to question their choice…or refuse it—and a man doing physical harm to a woman is simply unheard of. It seems so improbable in the real world, but there is something undeniably hopeful about the formulation.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but wasn't she just referring to the fact that women are held in high regard in the series?

On another note, is just me or is Key pretty much the only regular reviewer who actually reads and responds to these threads? Casey's and Carl's reviews in particular often attract critique, yet we never get any direct response from them
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Casey wrote:
But lest you think that the Kimaerans are just retrograde barbarians, it must be noted that, although they are about 70/30 male/female, they treat women with the highest level of respect. Women choose their mates—and no one is allowed to question their choice…or refuse it—and a man doing physical harm to a woman is simply unheard of. It seems so improbable in the real world, but there is something undeniably hopeful about the formulation.

On another note, is just me or is Key pretty much the only regular reviewer who actually reads and responds to these threads? Casey's and Carl's reviews in particular often attract critique, yet we never get any direct response from them

Key/Theron is the most active on the forums in general out of all the reviewers, but I've seen Carlo respond to threads to, and Carl as well. I'm fairly certain that Casey never responds though, based on something she said in a Chicks on Anime once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2