• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2009 - Fansubs and Industry panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
If fansub groups have to pay for their bandwidth and maintenance of their online distribution networkd just like the anime industry do with theirs, do you honestly think that they'll be hosting the kind of file quality as is, for every single fansub, with every single file transfer? Rolling Eyes

There are methods to stream via technologies like BT that distribute the bandwidth demands across the population of viewers. The problems aren't technological; they all concern control over content and distribution. It isn't hard to see that the anime industry is not going to be on the forefront of adopting technologies like these.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
If fansub groups have to pay for their bandwidth and maintenance of their online distribution networkd just like the anime industry do with theirs, do you honestly think that they'll be hosting the kind of file quality as is, for every single fansub, with every single file transfer? Rolling Eyes

There are methods to stream via technologies like BT that distribute the bandwidth demands across the population of viewers. The problems aren't technological; they all concern control over content and distribution. It isn't hard to see that the anime industry is not going to be on the forefront of adopting technologies like these.
That still won't solve the problem of bandwidth cost. Or will this be a one-time only online file distribution, with a limited window of time frame? Just get it out there and be done with it, much like fansub groups would, when they don't make a living on post-production and distribution of their fansubs.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Finally sat down to listen to the actual video and confused by one of Lance's comments - "we switched distribution to Madman in the UK" - he possibly confused Madman and Manga? I'm increasingly seeing UK DVDs authored by Madman, but Manga is currently FUNimation's favoured distributor (although I don't remember any actual announcement about them changing distributor from Revelation to Manga as there was then they changed from MVM to Revelation; Manga just started releasing FUNimation titles, and AFAIK the Revelation titles are still in print and indeed, Peach girl still has one volume scheduled for release)

mudduck454 wrote:
blu-ray is not region coded, and people buy stuff from japan all the time[...] since blu-ray disks from japan will play in an American blu-ray player.

Bluray is region coded, but unlike DVD Japan and the US are in the same region (and we in the UK are not). Not all discs are region locked (I have the first Index Bluray), but some are.

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Finally sat down to listen to the actual video and confused by one of Lance's comments - "we switched distribution to Madman in the UK" - he possibly confused Madman and Manga? I'm increasingly seeing UK DVDs authored by Madman, but Manga is currently FUNimation's favoured distributor (although I don't remember any actual announcement about them changing distributor from Revelation to Manga as there was then they changed from MVM to Revelation; Manga just started releasing FUNimation titles, and AFAIK the Revelation titles are still in print and indeed, Peach girl still has one volume scheduled for release)
Not any more if the reply I got the other day from the Revelation Films Rep is correct.
Quote:
Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we will no longer be releasing the remaining volumes of Beck as previously scheduled and currently do not have plans to release other FUNimation titles this year.

I would advise that you contact FUNimation directly if you need any more information about their plans with the UK releases.
Regards,

Pria
Revelations Films

I was straining my ears to hear who Lance was naming as the new UK distributor too, and was puzzled by "Madman". Question Confused I have contacted Manga, UK, but so far have had no rely yet.
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
how come the last 7 mins is missing
getfresh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
no clue. The ANN camera guy just kinda dipped out. Maybe they had another panel to film. That would be my guess.

Note: DomFortress, stop trying to mass post in hopes that people will think your totally moronic "reasons" and "facts" are actually any bit worth giving the time of day. Do you feel quoting whole posts of others and replying a slew of nonsensical garbage validates your point? Sad to say it doesn't. You need to just give up already and go away. People like you are what is ruining fandom. Get a life and get out of your mothers basement already.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
getfresh wrote:
no clue. The ANN camera guy just kinda dipped out. Maybe they had another panel to film. That would be my guess.

Note: DomFortress, stop trying to mass post in hopes that people will think your totally moronic "reasons" and "facts" are actually any bit worth giving the time of day.
Oh come on! You can't be serious to think that both the anime industry and fansub groups are both right, even though they're not on the same side of the law.

If anything, that would be my reason for ANN not to cover the rest of the panel. Because if both of them couldn't come out of their respective closets by telling us the truths, then there's no point for us listening to either one of their lies. Both of you just got time-out, so you better not lie to us next time.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
It is official. It is Manga Entertainment UK who are the distributor for FUNI in the UK. I got that from the horse's mouth. WHINAY! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6