• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's Ponyo Brings in US$1.2 Million on Friday

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
That's..... damn impressive. I'm actually floored by that. I thought it odd that it opened wide, since the last two were limited (Spirited Away opened re-released wide after it won the Oscar). I'm sure it's not due to anything related Miyazaki though. *coughcyrusjonascough* On the other hand, the story is probably more accessible than the last two. No matter what, Kudos to Studio Ghibli for which is arguably their largest opening in the US.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised it made the top 10. I had no doubt it wasn't going to hit number 1 seeing as District 9 was opening but I never thought it would even rank in the top 10. This is great news though I think it will get Disney to take future Ghibli films more seriously and hopefully a ripple effect to other anime films. It may be a while but still 1.2 M is pretty damn good.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
1.2 mil is good?
Kyjin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too surprised to see it ranked that high- Disney really seems to be marketing the thing. I've seen a decent amount of commercials on tv the last few days especially. I don't expect it to get much higher than that though; the wide release isn't as wide as some would like. (I have friends who drove two hours today to meet me at a theater to see it since nowhere near them was playing it!)

Also, something to keep in mind between the box office numbers between the Miyazaki films- movie prices have gone up a lot since Spirited Away came out. Ponyo is definitely performing better right now, but Spirited Away would have a higher intake of money by today's movie ticket rates.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
1.2 mil is good?
For an anime film, yes, that is good. And especially since it's showing on more screens than it was originally slated to show on (which was 800).
Magamish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Saw it in theaters, thought it was quite charming. Anime smile

Also, it was heavily advertised in my area, where BOTH local theaters were showing it (and I don't even live in a city!)

So yeah, happy news in this case. =3
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
1.2 mil is good?

Considering after 1 day it has outgrossed all but 9 other anime films to ever hit the US? Yes, yes it is.

It should be in at least 9th overall after Saturday, and may be as high as 7th or 8th all time after this weekend.

Considering that the top 4 best grossing anime are almost all far beyond reach (Pokemon and YGO movies), yeah, it's extremely good for one day for a film like Ponyo.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
I went and saw it today, the imax near me had at least 6 show times for it.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
That's a heck of allot more then I'd thought it would be Surprised Glad to hear it. I kept thinking it was going to be a flop in the US.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
1.2 mil is good?

Not compared to GI Joe or Montsters Vs. Aliens. Right now it's ranked at #10 in the anime category.

But when you look at how many theaters it took for them to reach that amount, it still doesn't look all that great. PONYO is still taking in less per theater than the other Ghibli titles ahead of it.

PONYO $1,262.14/theater
HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE $23,322.26/theater
PRINCESS MONONOKE $18,413.24/theater
SPIRITED AWAY $1,4083.84/theater

Also, you have to remember that the theater is barely going to keep that much of the gross if any. Assuming 20%, the theater made $252.43 off the movie itself. It's better to hope that the theaters sold a ton of popcorn and other stuff for the movie imo.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
PONYO $1,262.14/theater

I'm sorry, hikaru, but those numbers are completely misleading. I figured someone should point that out.

They're basing it on the amount made per theater on its first night. I assure you Howl's did not make $23,000+ per theater in its first night. :X

Unless you're a statistician with experience in extrapolating this data out to the end of its theatrical run, you really can't speculate how much it'll make per theater after only one night.

I'm glad it did well. I'm sure having a "Jonas" and a "Cyrus" in there didn't hurt Smile Also it did have some decent publicity. There was a front page movie review (which panned it, actually) in my area, for example.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
After watching Ponyo last night, I want to watch My Neighbor Totoro and the original Willy Wonka again...When you see Ponyo's dad you'll understand the Willy Wonka part. I'm glad it did so well, I went to a 5pm showing yesterday at Downtown Disney, and the theater was packed!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
PONYO $1,262.14/theater

I'm sorry, hikaru, but those numbers are completely misleading. I figured someone should point that out.

They're basing it on the amount made per theater on its first night. I assure you Howl's did not make $23,000+ per theater in its first night. :X

Unless you're a statistician with experience in extrapolating this data out to the end of its theatrical run, you really can't speculate how much it'll make per theater after only one night.

I'm glad it did well. I'm sure having a "Jonas" and a "Cyrus" in there didn't hurt Smile Also it did have some decent publicity. There was a front page movie review (which panned it, actually) in my area, for example.

I'm not misleading. If I was misleading, I wouldn't include the sources. This is total. The theaters still only made $252 on the first day on the film itself if their take was 20% which is not worth celebrating about imo.

You can use those same links to compare total at the end of the run to see overall how PONYO did.

But since you mentioned HOWL, it's opening raked in $422,987 for 36 theaters. ($11,749.64/theater).
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I'm not misleading.

All I am saying is, you listed four numbers in a row for total box-off receipts per theater. One of those four (the subject of this thread) had only one day of reporting in. The others had their entire theatrical run included. This can be misleading to some people who don't want to whip out their calculators. ^^;

Continuing the misleading information trend. You listed the opening weekend total for Howl's while the # listed for Ponyo is just its opening night. But what's a couple days between friends, right? Very Happy
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen it yet, but there's at least two theaters in my area (central NJ) showing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3