• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: University of Texas Article on Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, the DVDs in the picture are bootlegs.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:37 pm Reply with quote
hmm...that may be true that they are bootlegs, but I can't tell. =p

But still, I think it would definitely be cool to have a class like Napier's in my university. I envy her students that have that oppurtunity like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:37 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

You are correct, sir. And not only that, but the ones on the left (and the AKIRA up front) are all from Video Animation, a company with absolutely awful subtitles (such poor English that reading them is nearly impossible). Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Lol, it is kinda disapointing about the bootlegs, but ah, I'm sure most of us are guilty of owning a few sometimes during our lifetime (brother's fault XP bought the entire Initial D series when he came back from Hong Kong/Singapore).

Anyhow, putting the bootlegging topic aside, I agree with Onizuka, the class is definitely awesome and I definitely envy the students who are able to take such a class. They must have a lot of interesting discussions, especially when taking it from a theoretical perspective. Wonder if that class parallels the philosphy class that my high school offers...

And I'm drifting away from topic again. Bad bad bad! Anime smile + sweatdrop Anyways, I enjoyed this article a lot, especially since it's one of the first ones to make me actually feel like I can relate to the writer/interviewed, rather than it feeling all static, like a few past articles that were written about anime. So yes, this article gets a Anime hyper from me Anime smallmouth
UberTai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
one3rd wrote:

You are correct, sir. And not only that, but the ones on the left (and the AKIRA up front) are all from Video Animation, a company with absolutely awful subtitles (such poor English that reading them is nearly impossible). Razz

Do you own all of AVs sets to comfirm that? If not, shut your mouth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually it's Anime Cartoon International by the logo, and yes all of their subs are incomprehensible, except the ones they rip from US discs. And why are you defending a stinking bootlegger?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Actually it's Anime Cartoon International by the logo, and yes all of their subs are incomprehensible, except the ones they rip from US discs.

Video Animation also uses that same red logo. I've seen it on their Mahoromatic, .hack//SIGN, & Read or Die discs.

Sword of Whedon wrote:
And why are you defending a stinking bootlegger?

I'd like to know that, as well.
UberTai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:

Actually it's Anime Cartoon International by the logo, and yes all of their subs are incomprehensible, except the ones they rip from US discs. And why are you defending a stinking bootlegger?

Actually, yes, it is Animation Video.
And actually, no, all of them aren't incomprehensible. Let me give you the reviews for some that aren't:

Azumanga Daioh Volume 1
City Hunter Movie - Secret Service
Full Metal Panic - Fumoffu Complete Collection
And that's just to name a few.

I'm defending them because it's not right to say that all of them have bad subtitles, bad video, bad audio and such. People with the accusations probably bought a bootleg with the off chance of the quality being bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I've borrowed a good number of bootlegs off of friends who unfortunately engage in buying them, and the ones with decent subs were about every one in five. I'd say the assessment that the majority of bootlegs are piss-poor quality is a very fair assessment.

Again, why are you defending bootlegs? Just saying that we're being "unfair" towards the illegal wastes of plastic isn't sufficient.
UberTai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Again, why are you defending bootlegs? Just saying that we're being "unfair" towards the illegal wastes of plastic isn't sufficient.

I guess I don't have any other reason for defending bootleggers. Yes, I do purchase them, and I have yet had a problem with subtitles being "incomprehensible."

Waste of plastic? Now you're just being silly. If anything, there is an over abundance of plastic in the world, and it can easily be manufactored.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but once the world depletes the world's oil supply, plastic will follow...

Back to the article...

I would really like to have a theoretical discussion of such at my school. It would be really neat instead of just fans talking about something they enjoy, discussing at face value. Too bad my university doesn't have a class like that. I guess, you can claim that it is new, sorta, so maybe that is why they don't have it.

oh well, I guess I will have to look at a grad. school that offers a class like that. So I can take it, even if it is an undergrad program.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Maybe you could email them and tell them they are promoting bootlegs.

Email link from bottom of page:
utopa@www.utexas.edu
Kal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they are intentionally promoting bootlegs... because I don't think everyone is well informed of bootleg companies (for one, I'm not) So it's probably a silly mistake on their part, but of course that lil mistake is all blown up with an added side argument at that Anime smile + sweatdrop

So, the article, again Anime smile

Yeah, I guess classes concerning anime is something new. Wonder if it'll gain enough popularity so that it'll be offered at other universities as well. Perhaps someday... Anime catgrin
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Kal wrote:
I don't think they are intentionally promoting bootlegs...

whether they want to or not, they still are. And maybe they'd like to know...I know I would.

I don't get what is the point? It's not teaching the animation right? So what does it teach?

I read her book...I didn't like it. I thought it was looking to deep into the stuff. I guess I'm just saying this cause I haven't taken any sort of film classes.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm defending them because it's not right to say that all of them have bad subtitles, bad video, bad audio and such. People with the accusations probably bought a bootleg with the off chance of the quality being bad.

Yes of course, its so wrong to insult filthy, stinking, parasitic criminals.

Quote:
Waste of plastic? Now you're just being silly. If anything, there is an over abundance of plastic in the world, and it can easily be manufactored.

I really hope that was a joke
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3