• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hayate the Combat Butler Sub.DVD Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:21 am Reply with quote
Regarding the references and in-jokes, how does Hayate compare to Pani Poni Dash? I haven't seen Hayate yet, but found PPD to be very good even with getting less than a tenth of all the references.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:54 am Reply with quote
as far as I know HnG! just beeps out or has background jokes for a lot of stuff along with the stand alone lets dress up Hayate in girls clothing Anime hyper

Pani Poni Dash! was in a league of it's own when it came to background jokes and random scene changes

Ans I'm sad about there being no dub. I think that a dub would sell the series I mean the characters are a open book for dubbing. This makes me hope Funimation was serious with there surveys when they had Season 2 on them. I rather have season 2 handled by Funimation and not Bandai
K.o.R

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
omnistry wrote:
And yeah, I'm kinda disappointed with no English dub (even not having the Animax one), but no one can compete with Wakamoto's narration. He's one of the best "voices-in-the-sky" anime has ever had.

The Animax dub's narrator used a British accent. Lots of characters had British accents for no apparent reason. Maria, Saki, most of the yakuza. Candice Moore as Maria was a treat since she sounds so much better when she's not hiding her normal accent. I'm guessing the voice director thought it would be fun to let the Brit actors speak normally, instead of trying to sound American.

I find that kinda funny 'cause I consider "Hayate" to be Japan's successful attempt of making an animated British sitcom.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Well to me this possibly one of the worstt news I have heared today, I am a big fan of this show, and just started to colect the manga. Lately I have been thinking thinking that if their is one anime that kids could watch and I realy enjoy it woud be this, but sub only means that can't share it with my younger brother. And basicly no sub only series make it out to Australia Crying or Very sad .

I was a bit taken aback by the low score as this is one of my favirouts.

I watched the promo that Animax has on their Youtube channel and its narrator (dunno if it's the narrator) had a (slight) Australian accent.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
I LOVE this show. I think it's one of the few truly hilarious anime out there. Every episode is a laugh fest.

Bandai's choice does seem a little odd, because this is a GREAT show. Someone mentioned that Funi was thinking of grabbing the second season? I know they'd promote the heck out of it, at the very least. And they've been doing really well with releasing lower priced season sets instead of individual discs. Their dub work has been getting better too, I think. Ouran turned out great, with a couple exceptions.
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

Why the hell would they cancel the dub? Talk about a big "fudge you!" to us dub fans! Evil or Very Mad

I've heard two stories about it both from Bandai people.

Story #1: They were not going to dub it unless they could get it on TV. That fell through so no dub. Bandai did say recently that nothing would be dubbed unless it had a TV deal. OTOH, I can't see why they would even try to get a show like this on TV. Most of the humor would go right past a mainstream audience.

Story #2: This was originally planned to be a dual audio release but the recession made a 52 episode dub impossible to afford.

Take your pick. I think #2 is more likely. What is certain is that this isn't a big "fudge you" from Bandai. A company that will create a new dub for Clamp School Detectives can hardly be called unfriendly to dub fans.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
story 2 is what there doing for everything they think will not make money.

I mean the Lucky Star OVA is not getting dubbed and as far as I know the last thing Bandai dubbed over was Gundam 00 for Sci-fi t.v broadcast

Really I hope Funimation can pick up season 2's rights, it's not even a season 2 it's just a restart from like 4 or 5 volumes in in to the manga. It could be easily marketed to fans as a stand alone season
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Regarding the references and in-jokes, how does Hayate compare to Pani Poni Dash? I haven't seen Hayate yet, but found PPD to be very good even with getting less than a tenth of all the references.

Thinking back....
I haven't seen PPD. But most of HnG's jokes are visual. Nagi's house and the outer garden are filled with marble statues/busts of anime characters (Conan from Detective Conan pops up a lot). I seem to recall an episode where the characters set up some sort of mystery for Nagi, and she runs around like Conan trying to solve it.
Nagi plays video games and reads manga, so there are some references there.

There's an episode where Shinichi Watanabe voicing himself as Nabeshin runs around, poking fun of himself and fighting against Hayate.

And there's a lot of verbal references (most of them are kind of random) to various movies, characters, tv shows, etc, on both sides of the ocean. Pop culture stuff.
tripdragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
No dub, no point. Great in Japanese, but dub for Hayate AND Lucky Star was the only thing I was looking forward to for releases this year from any anime brought to us.

Yellow fugly dvd subtitle text, no thank you. Just burn in the subs with a clean clear antialiased sharp font and shadow. Otherwise. Pass.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I was a bit taken aback by the low score as this is one of my favirouts.

Same here. I don't get anime reviewers the majority of the time. The reviewer knocked the music because it was silly and lighthearted and wasn't a sweeping orchestral score. Stuff like that is kinda like, wtf? Really? I'd think you'd judge the music by how well it fits the content and not how large of an orchestra is used or by what style it is, with certain ones being bad by default. I don't know how you could watch this series and say the music doesn't fit the tone.

Also, how is harem an instant con? Harem is an entire genre with quality ranging from good to bad. To me, listing harem as a con would be like reviewing Naruto and listing, "action" or "shounen" as a con.

The final score is the real kicker. It reminds me of the Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino review. If the review was 100 sentences, only 2 of them had anything remotely positive to say. The whole thing reads like it's the worst show ever and they bash the hell out of almost every aspect, but the final score is a B. There's like no correlation between the final score and the actual content of the review.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Same here. I don't get anime reviewers the majority of the time. The reviewer knocked the music because it was silly and lighthearted and wasn't a sweeping orchestral score. Stuff like that is kinda like, wtf? Really? I'd think you'd judge the music by how well it fits the content and not how large of an orchestra is used or by what style it is, with certain ones being bad by default. I don't know how you could watch this series and say the music doesn't fit the tone.

It has nothing to do with it not being orchestral; it generally fits the tone, but there's nothing impressive about the way it does it. (Although I do kinda like the opener.) If you want examples of comedy series with much better comedy-support musical scores that aren't orchestral, either, check out Desert Punk, School Rumble, or The Wallflower, all of which I gave B+ grades on the music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell would they cancel the dub? Talk about a big "fudge you!" to us dub fans! Evil or Very Mad
It was announced as sub-only months ago. Selective memory strikes again?

tripdragon wrote:
No dub, no point. Great in Japanese, but dub for Hayate AND Lucky Star was the only thing I was looking forward to for releases this year from any anime brought to us.

Yellow fugly dvd subtitle text, no thank you. Just burn in the subs with a clean clear antialiased sharp font and shadow. Otherwise. Pass.
And why exactly is yellow so "fugly," relative to other colors? And I imagine plenty of people would be pissed over hardsubs, given all the battles in the early 2000s to make companies stop using them for songs and text.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
Although I didn't have a problem with the color, I must agree that it was a less than appealing font style. (And I'm not normally picky about such things as long as I can read it.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
Well their is a slight positive in the sub only, at least it has not been picked up and torn apart by 4Kids. On about the music, I wouldnt have expected a hugely amazing music from this series, the standard little fun music that doesn't need to totaly blow you away. But you cant say that the singing is bad, or that. Plus voices are quite nice and you don't realy need knowledge of all the references to enjoy the series. And even though you could say that each character is a stereotype cliche in some ways, the series knows that they are one and a joke is set up on such.
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:

I've heard two stories about it both from Bandai people.

Story #1: They were not going to dub it unless they could get it on TV. That fell through so no dub. Bandai did say recently that nothing would be dubbed unless it had a TV deal. OTOH, I can't see why they would even try to get a show like this on TV. Most of the humor would go right past a mainstream audience.

Story #2: This was originally planned to be a dual audio release but the recession made a 52 episode dub impossible to afford.

Take your pick. I think #2 is more likely. What is certain is that this isn't a big "fudge you" from Bandai. A company that will create a new dub for Clamp School Detectives can hardly be called unfriendly to dub fans.

#2 is about close to it, and is CRAP. Bandai wasn't sure it would sell and after seeing how it COULD be done,gave some crap about "We don't know if we want to put the money into it if it doesn't sell." All you had to do was BEEP it, which was DONE for the first episode. Coastal busted their ass doing Clamp School and got SCREWED over Hayate.

*I am not an official voice for Coastal, but it pisses me off that Bandai did this.*
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:36 am Reply with quote
I am getting a little sick of using my blu-ray player as a DVD player. I am probably not going to pick this up even though I want to. Lucky Star vol. 6 is still missing from my collection as well. but I am cool if they can't invest the resources for dubbing since the market is in a slump atm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3