• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free Evangelion: 1.0 Screenings in Texas & D.C.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonecow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
My Alma Mater (UNT)!

Go Mean Green! (That was more school spirit then I displayed during my "four" years there).
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
Even though November is only a few months away, I wish I had gone to see it legally in the local theaters when they had it in my area last month.
chronium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
There is also a screening for people attending at Fan Expo, www.hobbystar.com/fanexpo, this friday the 28th at 8pm in Toronto
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Wow...it's weird seeing my school's anime club on ANN...just sayin lol
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
And yet I still can't buy the DVD!!!! I don't understand what is so complicated about the anime distribution process.

1. acquire license for anime
2. translate and dub
3. Press on DVD
4??????
5. PROFIT!!!!

I just don't understand the lag time. Gundam and dragon balls gets sent over shortly after it airs in Japan and the real good stuff gets kicked around for almost 2 years before it is legally release in the USA.

ATTENTION ANIME COMPANIES: THIS IS WHY FANSUBS EXIST!!!!
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow says:
Quote:
Wow...it's weird seeing my school's anime club on ANN...just sayin lol

That is interesting indeed. It would be nice if they put in at least 20 theaters in every state because it could get even bigger recognition.
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I honestly cannot figure out why they insist on showing some of these movies on a weeknight. September 9th is a Wednesday. Considering I commute an hour and a half to DC and back every day, I probably wouldn't get home until late, then have to get up at 6 the next morning for work. So annoying, because I WANT to support anime showings! I'll have to wait for the DVD...
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I guess it really isn't clear why they're not releasing until November, unless they're so busy with so much else that the final DVD production is being put on the back burner.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps they are trying to squeeze as much promotion out of this as possible by the screenings. Plus 1.11 is waiting in the wings for release.
ChibiBritt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I honestly cannot figure out why they insist on showing some of these movies on a weeknight. September 9th is a Wednesday. Considering I commute an hour and a half to DC and back every day, I probably wouldn't get home until late, then have to get up at 6 the next morning for work. So annoying, because I WANT to support anime showings! I'll have to wait for the DVD...

I'm not sure about the DC organization, but I can give you an answer for the one at UNT.

Since ours it at a college we have to go with whatever rules they have to get a room. Our problem is we are in the middle was what is called at UNT "First Flight Week". Basically it's when people move back into dorms and Freshmen go nuts figuring out everything before classes start on Thursday of this week.

We had to use tonight because it was the best time to get the room we did. It's one of the largest on campus with theater seating. Also it's free. The other alternative was either booked or cost about $1000 to rent. Not to mention, because it is First Flight Week, we aren't the only group doing something on campus. It's a bit a crazy, but we were lucky we got what we did. Sometimes working with the school can be a bit troublesome. It worked out alright though.

Britt
Mu Epsilon Kappa President
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I've already seen the subtitled version during the National Cherry Blossom Festival last April, so no dice on the new DC showing. The dub version, though, is scheduled for a six-day run at the University of Maryland's Hoff Theater come September, so I may give that one a go.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey, that's cool. I guess it did better in theaters than Funimation expected. I may go see it again in Arlington (still quite a ways from home, but not as long as Boston) if I can arrange for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
That is interesting indeed. It would be nice if they put in at least 20 theaters in every state because it could get even bigger recognition.

Then Funimation would have to pay the theaters for the screening, since they have their own employees and bills (eletricity, building rent if there's any, etc.), plus the fact that they could be using the free screening room for movies that people would actually be paying for. Well, it's true they could make some money from selling food and drinks for the people going to watch it, but I doubt it would cover for the above. And not to forget the money they would lose from selling dvds.
So in other words, putting advertises on american tv would probably be more efficient.
Businesses like this exist because they make a profit, if there's no profit there's no business.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
And yet I still can't buy the DVD!!!! I don't understand what is so complicated about the anime distribution process.
Funimation noticed this and asked us to post their response. This is Funimation's answer, not mine.
Funimation wrote:
EVA is stunning on the big screen and we want fans to have the opportunity to have that experience. Thus, we are participating in film festivals and are working with theatres across North America to screen this highly-anticipated film. To make that happen, we have to put it in festivals and theatres BEFORE the DVD is released. Festivals enjoy the exclusivity they can offer film fans and theatres, whether they are a huge chain or independent, will only agree to book a film run or screening if the film in question isn’t released on DVD within a prescribed window before and after the planned screening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1