• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoshiyuki Tomino - You be the Interviewer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
Question 1: Muteki Choujin Zambot 3 is one of your other famous shows, but it is not all that well-known in the United States. Could you tell us a little about some of the hardships and unique aspects of working on Zambot 3 at the time, as well as your current opinion of the series?

Question 2: You worked on more episodes of the original Tetsuwan Atom than anyone else. What springs to mind when you look back on those times?

Question 3: Back before his untimely death, you worked with Tadao Nagahama on a number of shows such as Reideen and Voltes V. As he is no longer with us, and his name is not that well-known in the US, would you be able to tell us about your experiences with him?

Question 4: Similarly, long-time animator Yoshinori Kanada passed away recently. As he worked on some of the shows for which you directed, could you tell us about your experiences with him as well?

Question 5: At Otakon 2009 in Baltimore, anime director Yutaka Yamamoto said that the problem with today's generation of directors is that they lack strong personalities, and he cited you among his examples of older directors with strong personalities. How do you feel about his statement?

Question 6: I read that you enjoy singing the ending theme of Zambot 3, "Uchuu no Hoshi yo, Eien ni." Would you like to sing a few notes for us?
excelladon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Question: hello there mr tomino, as a future animator, screenwriter, va, manga concept writer and director, how do you know on what such a cultrial impact do you contribe in your works?, like how do your gundam series elevates the true impact of this generation today?
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Jarmyn wrote:
Mr. Tomino- What are your feelings on Gundam series not created by you like G, Wing, Seed, and 00? Do feel the directors of these series managed to do things you wanted to do but never thought of?

I think this question could be interesting with a bit of editing such as:

Mr. Tomino. Would you say there was something you weren't content with in the series you didn't work on, such as Gundam G, Wing, Seed and 00?

Or with a professional touch the question could be improved.

I know it's a direct hit on
Quote:
So although he is the creator of the entire Gundam franchise, he doesn't want to talk about Gundam Wing, G-Gundam, etc...

But it's not like this question in going into details about the series, I'd say it's barely under the line.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Here's a question I've been waiting Tomino to be asked.

Question: Mr. Tomino, a few years ago, a Daisuke Enomoto, Japanese civilian, planned to be a "space tourist"and travel into space with the Russians wearing a Char Aznable costume. Is space travel something you personally would want to take part in, and what do you think of Mr. Enomoto's attempt to cosplay as a famous Gundam character in space?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Question: Gainax has openly said that they were heavily influenced by Gundam and Space Runaway Ideon, when making Evangelion: you've disparaged this connection, because Evangelion was a very "dark" show. Have your feelings changed on this? Wasn't the idea of "using child pilots in a space war between Zeon and Earth" kind of a dark idea to begin with?

not to mention the extremely bleak ending to Space Runaway Ideon. i'm gonna second this one, as this is exactly what i was gonna ask.
Jarmyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Another question, I just thought of.

Mr. Tomino, Why did you make Gundam F91 into a movie instead of a TV series?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
Oh, I've though of another one. To my chagrin, it's one more Gundam question to throw on the pile.

It's my understanding that Gundam was originally conceived as a series about infantry using powered armor, as in Starship Troopers. How would the series have been different if this idea was used in the final version?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
This question concerns the Zeta Gundam movies.

Question: Was the happier ending depicted at the end of the Zeta Gundam movies a reflection of a happier attitude from yourself or a need to cut out certain parts of the Gundam canon you felt uncomfortable with? And do you regret not having the movies cover more ground and having more new animation, rather than the mix of old and new?

(I mostly ask this because I'm still irritated over the awful direction those movies went in, but obviously don't tell Tomino that.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Shadowrun: By Dororo revival, do you mean anime? Because they just made a PS2 game and an LA movie a few years back.
Finished Blood Will Tell not to long ago,and grabbed the movie.A new revival.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:15 am Reply with quote
Jarmyn wrote:
Another question, I just thought of.

Mr. Tomino, Why did you make Gundam F91 into a movie instead of a TV series?

Funding I think.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
Here's one: Since Astro Boy was the first anime to have an ongoing plot and the one that really started anime's popularity, what was it like being the director at such a young age?
Chidori290

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quote
Hello Mr Tomino I was wondering since Seiichi NAKATANI was the Animation director in Gundam 00 and key Animaton in Gundam seed, Will he be involed in much more gundam titles (of course 00 movie)
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
Question 1: If you had the chance to approach ZZ Gundam in a different way(similar to the Z Gundam movie trilogy), would you change anything?

Question 2: Is there any way you could influence the release of ZZ Gundam and Turn A Gundam in the U.S? It seems like the older Gundam shows have reached a brick wall over here in terms of releases.

Question 3: What is your opinion on Gundam Unicorn, given the fact that it takes place shortly after Char's Counterattack?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
Is there any way you could influence the release of ZZ Gundam and Turn A Gundam in the U.S? It seems like the older Gundam shows have reached a brick wall over here in terms of releases.

That's because of weak sales, isn't it? And that was before the crash in the R1 market! Even releasing sub-only full-series boxes would be dodgy since they're so long.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
not to mention the extremely bleak ending to Space Runaway Ideon.

Although I only saw the ending itself, it appeared that spoiler[all the bleakness was soon compensated for], bizarrely enough. I consider it the most upbeat and optimistic way that a spoiler["kill 'em all"] scenario could end.

My second spoiler tag is perhaps unnecessary on a Tomino thread...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6