• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tarō Asō to Step Down as Head of Defeated Ruling Party

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Since mods haven't stepped in yet, I'd like to request American politics be kept out of this thread since it's in no way relevant. K thnx.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Y'all folks seem a little too upset for Sunday.

My suggestion? Lil' beer, lil' football.

Aso's attempts to play up the economic power of entertainment is not off-putting to me. Akihabara was/is ground central for a 20 billion dollar industry in a country that doesn't have anywhere near the amount of manufacturing that Japan used to... but that didn't take away from the myriad problems that Japan faces on the daily.

The arguments about American politics here are mis-placed and I'm not getting into it. I don't see the reflection here and I think we should be above the low blows of it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Na na na na, na na na na, hey, hey, goodbye!
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
See, Japan's got the right idea. Give'em a year and if you're fed up with them, kick'em out. Why don't we here in the States do that?
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
See, Japan's got the right idea. Give'em a year and if you're fed up with them, kick'em out. Why don't we here in the States do that?

Because it takes a lot of admin.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Dargon:
Quote:
No we don't have to include it. 8 years vs. 100 days.

In 100 days under the Repugs, Enron was able to shut down and rip off California and work with Worldcom to loot the stock market. And don't forget about Bush ignoring the 9/11 warnings.

Quote:
Besides, Obama wholeheartedly approved of TARP II funds.

Obama approved, because he had no choice, because the de-regulated banks were holding our economy hostage.
haldenlith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Different government system, FYI. They run under a "parliamentary democracy," I think is the term, just like Britain. Things go crappy, a vote of no-confidence pops up, they get voted out and new people voted in. It's... a LOT more complicated than our government, for better or worse.

*/info mode
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Ho Mah Godz, we be talkin' poleeticks on teh animu site.

Anyone wanna take bets next time there's a thread that could ignite an american politics discussion? Like it could be, odds based or just outcome based:

-How many posts in before someone compares japanese politics to american politics
-How many pages in
-Who makes the comment
-How long it takes for a mod to delete the posts
-how long before one of the staff comes and tells people to know it off

Seriously, this happens enough on this forum, I could start some under the table gambling.

Though my one comment is, I do find their handling of their leaders interesting, the whole no confidence thing or whatever somebody said it's called. I don't know if it would ever work here, but it's an interesting practice and probably the ONLY thing involved in ANY political thing ANYWHERE I've actually presented interest in.

Though, there's no real system that has an international functionality. Different strokes, right?
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Not going to get in to the political debate side of things. I currently LIVE in Washington DC, and politics are talked about like the weather is in NYC, or sports in LA. But, only in Japan can a museum be deemed as wasteful spending even when the cost of start up is as low as this one is. You think we can open a Smithsonian Museum in Dc for 125m USD? Pft, that wouldn't even pay for the parking deck or the EPA impact studies.

This measly 125 million USD for an anime-manga museum would be repaid back in both domestic and foreign tourism dollars in five years. Sorry, but with the popularity of Anime-tourism in its own not to mention family vacations as an alternative attraction, this thing sounds like it can generate money not lose it.

For every ¥1500 yen made in admissions (about the average cost of admission from my days in Japan) to it, there is going to be an additional ¥3500 in related expenses. Food, drinks, souvenirs, transportation, hotels and so forth. It does trickle down to the local economy through job creation, and manufacturing productivity increases to meet a new demand across several market segments and work field matrix points.

Besides 125m USD is going to do what for unemployment, or health care? Treat six people for three days, go to pay for what, more state run jobs? Like Tokyo needs any more meter maids or traffic (light) engineers. I can't believe, for once in my life I approve of something someone in the LDP actually thought was a good idea.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
i see the ads didn't work...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm instituting a "nobody cares what you think about American politics" policy in this thread.
kyoukix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm instituting a "nobody cares what you think about American politics" policy in this thread.

No surprise here: ANN forums are the playground of closet fascist who practice racial profiling and xenophobia.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I wish I was still living at home now so I could ask my mom all about the different parties in Japan, but I am glad that in the US our two party names sound completely different. I can see how a lot of people would get these groups mixed up (and actually I think that in a number of countries the "liberal" party is actually the more conservative one, even in the US if you go back far enough the Republicans were more liberal than the Democrats).
Rozarie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Buuuu this sucks. I may be a bitch and I have public health-care in my country an awesome one *saved thousands of dollars in free operations lol*
What worries me most is

OMG WHAT ABOUT THE "INTERNATIONAL MANGA AWARD" ?!

For my personal reasons It's quite bad! I had all my hopes on that ):
I don't really care what happens to the people I care what happens to ME
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Thank you! It's about time someone said something. I agree, I don't care what anyone thinks about American politics. Besides, this thread is about Taro Aso, not American politics. So people can stop showing off their off-topic knowlede of political whatever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4