• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - The Despair of the Letter Bees

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes. X-Men Misfits. I couldn't help smiling to myself as I skimmed through it at the bookstore. I laughed when I came upon Beast and the fact that Kitty just so happens to be the only female student in the school. Wonder where it'll be going...
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Just got Sayonara Sensei today. I'm glad to read that you liked it. I definitely have to check out IKIGAMI: THE ULTIMATE LIMIT.
nishime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
Everytime I read the back cover blurb for Ikigami, I just keep wondering, what happens if some poor lady in a late-stage pregnancy gets chosen, and she doesn't immediately go into labor. Do they say 'ok, one quick Caesarean and then we'll kill you" leaving some poor guy a widower with a new born to take care of, or do they say 'sucks to be you' to the fetus and kill both of them?

OK, OK, it's morbid, I know. I still wonder. Probably it comes up at some point in the future of the series. Maybe.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Boy, I hadn't even heard about X-Men: Misfits. Kitty Pryde was my favorite comic book character for most of the two decades I religiously followed American comic books, so I'll definitely have to pick this one up just to see how the character was interpreted. (Though from the sound of the review, I'm not sure I'll like it.)

To clarify one thing for Carlo, though: in the original comics Kitty did have extensive Eastern (and Israeli!) martial arts training over the the course of time, so the fact she isn't getting it here is actually out of character for her. (Much of it came from Wolverine, the rest from being possessed for a while by a supernaturally-empowered ninja.) She could kick serious butt even without her powers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oriana3k

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
Found some preview pages for Misfits. Some of those pages are sparkle-puke. Laughing

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=30400
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
I picked up the first volume of Ikigami a month back on a whim and I thought it was pretty cool. Part Death Note (which I hate btw) and part Battle Royal (in the 'extreme social experiment' way). I enjoyed it a lot, but was curious if it really got better. The review here as made it clear that I need to get volume 2.

The comparison to Naoki Urasawa's work is interesting, because I actually got the same feeling reading Ikigami, and I am rapidly becoming a huge Naoki Urasawa fan from his 20th Century Boys and Pluto series.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
A note about Storm's manga makeover- it might seem like a big change, but it's actually based on the makeover Wolverine's friend japanese thief Yukio gave her in the 80's during a period in her life when Ororo was feeling particularly bad-ass Smile So it's pretty story appropriate given it first appeared in one of the X-men's many japan-based storylines. She proceeded to keep the Mohawk for most of the decade.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei = God Tier. Not having the DVD's has left me in Epic Despair! Come on FUNimation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bigheart711

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
nishime wrote:
Everytime I read the back cover blurb for Ikigami, I just keep wondering, what happens if some poor lady in a late-stage pregnancy gets chosen, and she doesn't immediately go into labor. Do they say 'ok, one quick Caesarean and then we'll kill you" leaving some poor guy a widower with a new born to take care of, or do they say 'sucks to be you' to the fetus and kill both of them?

OK, OK, it's morbid, I know. I still wonder. Probably it comes up at some point in the future of the series. Maybe.

That would happen in Ikagami. They would kill both the fetus and the woman. Chances are, They'd burst open the stomach and crush the fetus as the woman loses way too much blood and dies. The woman's body could also be crushed in the process. That is my theory. Sorry for being so deliciously morbid, but this type of deliciously morbid just made me want to read Ikagami because you never know what would happen when the next unlucky person is chosen.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
I have to pick up X-Men: Misfits now. I may actually be entertained, and if not, it'll be good for a great belly laugh.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
Thanks for alerting me that the second Ikigami volume is available! I also really need to try Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, seeing as how I loved the anime (please license!). I've found this column to be a pretty good barometer of series I should try, even if I don't always agree with you. Smile
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
I want to read Home now and Ikigami also looks interesting. But for Letter Bee I think I'm just going to hold off and try out the anime this fall.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
"Hormone poisoning" I like that. Laughing

Home sounds really interesting!
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Kitty Pryde has long been one of my favorite characters from the X-Men universe, so I will definitely be picking up Misfits. And Storm returning to her 80's Mohawk look sounds awesome! I got plenty of books from the era when I was hard core into US comics collecting, and I always liked Storm's look from that time.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Oriana3k wrote:
Found some preview pages for Misfits. Some of those pages are sparkle-puke. Laughing

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=30400

... *goes to the work computer and orders it this very minute* Thank you very much, that sold me. Adorable Beast, bishi Magneto, Angel, etc. I'm a girl who grew up on X-men, and I see no problem whatsoever with the typical shoujo school setting being brought to the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning. This is designed for girl fans like me. This reminds me very much of Jill Thompson's "manga" attempt with the Sandman series, "Death at Death's Door" which I enjoyed quite a bit. This will be added to the odd ball item pile in my my comic collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2