• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's Happening with ADV Films

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a TON for this. Business stuff tends to go right over my head, so I had no idea what was going on. This article helps make a little more sense out of what's happening to ADV.

I'm glad it's not quite as dire as what happened to Gonzo last year. (Or, at least, it doesn't sound like it.)

EDIT: I mean Geneon. clearly I'm firing on all sixes today.

Last edited by MorwenLaicoriel on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that article, Chris. That's what I figured too...a restructuring of the company if you will, and the dropping of the ADV Films brand. But I believe part of the reason we have all of this misunderstanding is that a lot of the fans here and in other forums equate ADV Films to ADV as a whole, where in reality they are not. I still believe that this restructuring will work out in the long run as long as they play their cards right.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
ANN's community not smarter then your average bear?

SHOCK!

Ah, just giving ya a hard time. The article is helpful yes?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Aha, I'd never heard the whole Sojitz thing explained so clearly before. Thanks for this!
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, last night I was doing some reading about the series Ghost Stories, and then followed through to the review and then the discussion thread for the review, where several people were openly hoping for ADV's demise for doing a paradoy dub of an unremarkable series. The pointless sub/dub debate raged, for 96 posts and my head got tired.

Still digesting all of this currently
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Ah, just giving ya a hard time. The article is helpful yes?

VERY helpful indeed. Even Nana-chan understood it Razz .
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
It's good to know that ADV's catalog is safe, but I'll still miss seeing their logo on dvds.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Well the article was a good recap of what is going on, so I'm thankful Chris McD posted it Very Happy

PS: So ADV stood for Animation Dubbing Visions? They were always playing coy with that one so its interesting to finally see what it meant (if it did - I sometimes though they were just random letters and ADV was having fun messing with peoples minds Wink )
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, this certainly makes sense. I never figured Sojitz retained the 20% once the partnership was dissolved.

I'm wondering if this means ADV will need to sell off that 20% or if they're just going to file bankruptcy. If they pay the 20%, I fear this may take out a significant chunk of revenue.

Meh. I guess it really makes no difference. I suppose I'll just have to deal with sub-only releases from Sentai Filmworks until such a time these LLCs can get back on their feet.

*sigh*

But I'm still not going to pay $8/mo. for streaming access.

Well, the good news is I'm going to have no choice but to break down and the buy Clannad and Aria sub only DVDs as there's no way in hell they'll get a dub anytime soon.

Yo, ex-ADV: Care to box set up Clannad and After Story now? Would really make my day.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I never knew what "ADV" stood for until now!

Thanks for giving us an idea of what might actually be going on. So basically, it's more of a move to get out of a bad relationship than just crumbling due to sales, like Geneon?

I wonder if this could be why certain titles (which seem to be only ADV) on Netflix will expire from the Instant Queue come October. I just found that out today. Coincidence or no? Then again, oftentimes, things that are slated to expire from the IQ don't actually expire on those dates.
Shale

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Nobody knew what it stood for. So that's why they dubbed everything!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
WTF from AOD posted this:

"Just got off the phone with Mike Baliff, formerly of ADV Films who is now heading up Sales and Marketing at the new company Section 23 Films. Section 23 has acquired all of ADV's former licenses and most of the staff (including Chris Oarr, Destiny, Michelle, everyone formerly at ADV that mattered), and is picking up publication and distribution of all former ADV titles, so the DVD's will remain available and our orders will just be processed and filled by the new company, so the changeover will be pretty much transparent to you guys. This includes pre-order items in the pipeline but not yet released. They will still be coming out, and the schedule will not change. We'll be updating our catalog over the next few days to reflect Section 23 as the new publisher of ADV's (former) titles..."

Sounds good to me. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I too am grateful for the background and informed speculation provided by Christopher's article. I think I can guess what part of this week's ANNcast is going to be about.

Anyway, what a pity the ADV - Sojitz deal didn't pan out. Sounds like it would have been great for DVD collectors if it had.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
*in Pedro's voice*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!11!111!1!!11!11!1one1!11!!!1!!!!

[Mod Edit: Please don't do that. Unfortunately when you stretch one word out like that it stretches out the screen as it provides no break for the software to drop to the next line. So people end up having to scroll left and right on all the posts people have made. I shortened your "nooo..." to a more manageable length; I'm pretty sure it still retains the effect you sought. - Keonyn]
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Well, the good news is I'm going to have no choice but to break down and the buy Clannad and Aria sub only DVDs as there's no way in hell they'll get a dub anytime soon.

Aria is a Nozomi title, not an AD Vision title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7