• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Virtual Idol Hatsune Miku's 'Best' Albums Rank #4, #5

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I am the only one who fails to understand why anyone would want to listen to a computer generated singer?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I too am not a fan of synthetic voices.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
I am the only one who fails to understand why anyone would want to listen to a computer generated singer?
It's not hard to understand. People have different tastes. Though I think the real appeal is giving a lot of people a chance to make music without having to find a good singer. I don't listen to Miku too much but a lot of the songs are really good, though i actually prefer supercell's new vocalist Nagi over Miku.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
You are not alone.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Otaku have really different taste in what they like to call music, that's all it really comes down to. They tend to favour cute light music over just about everything else and especially like it when there's an added gimmick to the music, like it being an image song or in this case a virtual idol. Personally I'd rather listen to Soul, Classical, Jazz or 80's Rock/Pop when I'm just looking for some easy casual listening. Nothing else is quite so relaxing.

As for Hatsune Miku, while I appreciate the technical wizardy that went into the idea, I still find her way to pitchy and disjointed to listen too without wincing ever now and then and it sounds every bit like the computer it is phonetically ejecting the lyrics rather than like a person who is actually singing with any heart and soul. Maybe once they've perfected the technology to sound less mechanical and artificial I might go for this stuff someday, but for now real singer>virtual idol hands down any day of the week.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
So the next step for the japanese is to create a cute girlish robot to put that voice on.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I don't listen to Miku too much but a lot of the songs are really good, though i actually prefer supercell's new vocalist Nagi over Miku.

Anyone who prefers Miku to Nagi is off their rocker, I heard the Miku version of the Bakemonogatari ED.. it was like a candle compared to the sun. That being said I really like Supercell/Miki's Black Rock Shooter... though I'm sure a Nagi version of that would easily be superior.. just like her version of Meltz which got her Supercell's attention I guess.
zalas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I bought both albums because:
1) It was a nice collection of the most popular Miku songs, and
2) It features a lot of doujin music artists who often upload their songs onto Nico Nico Douga, and I feel that this kind of community is something to be supported.

Personally, I don't think Miku or any of the vocaloids so far could sound like a real singer (the consonants are too muddled and there's not enough formant variation for the rest of the syllable), *but* that's not the reason I listen to those songs. I like to think of it as a cute sounding robot, for instance. It's the same reason I can appreciate electronic timbres like overdriven resonant sawtooth waves (mm TB-303) and lush supersaws (mm JP-8000) while liking the sound of real instruments as well (mm Steinway baby grand).
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
I don't listen to Miku too much but a lot of the songs are really good, though i actually prefer supercell's new vocalist Nagi over Miku.

Anyone who prefers Miku to Nagi is off their rocker, I heard the Miku version of the Bakemonogatari ED.. it was like a candle compared to the sun. That being said I really like Supercell/Miki's Black Rock Shooter... though I'm sure a Nagi version of that would easily be superior.. just like her version of Meltz which got her Supercell's attention I guess.

So Westlo, who or what is Nagi exactly? I have to admit I'm totally in the dark on this one.
Enner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
After plugging away at the Project DIVA rhythm game, I've warmed up to Miku enough to keep a few music files around. While real instruments are almost always better than synthesized ones, sometimes synths have an undeniable charm. I think of Miku as a MIDI-like BGM to an orchestrated arrangement. I don't find it hard to see some people preferring a MIDI more.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me what songs are on both albums?
sash2501

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:

The asnwer is.......................: Why not?
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I was one to scoff at this myself not too long ago, until I saw Caramelldansen and was strangely hooked into this scene. The Virtual Idol songs can be just as addictive. Plus, the singers are so cute in the videos! Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Though I think the real appeal is giving a lot of people a chance to make music without having to find a good singer.

For genres in which an artificial sound is considered meritworthy, that is to say electronica variants, an advanced vocal synthesiser like this can be very suitable. Miku doesn't sound too bad provided 'her' voice isn't made to sing in a notably high pitch. The Vocaloid rendition of Utada Hikaru's Beautiful World would have been quite commendable, had it not been for the English lyrics in such a song.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Because Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid) is for eternity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2