• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Conflict and Chaos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Lack of Medabots DS, is well, lacking.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying Dissida. As much as I would have liked to see Tifa, Seifer, Rinoa, Yuna and Rikku here I'm still happy with it. I think the battle system is really fun and they did a good job choosing the soundtrack.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
I love you forever, Todd.

PS: I also love how all the Final Fantasy fanboys are coming out on this thread to whine. Whine, whine, whine. Just like every Final Fantasy hero touched by Tetsuya Nomura.
I just had to laugh at this, along with the picture comments.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
I'm getting the impression that Dissidia sucks. Is it lack of supporting characters, because that would take up space, or is it just because it's popular?

Ironic, the game meant to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the franchise as a whole serves to divide it even further.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:
I'm getting the impression that Dissidia sucks. Is it lack of supporting characters, because that would take up space, or is it just because it's popular?

Ironic, the game meant to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the franchise as a whole serves to divide it even further.

From what I've gathered from people who are playing the game, they're now screaming UNBALANCE, TOO MANY ACCESORIES and NO-EX mode because it turns the tables against them. It's unbelievable that they would buy the game and play against others and not expect this to happen. And for one of those reasons, they're now saying the game sucks when in reality, they're just being a bunch of sore losers. Seriously, you want to play the game without accessories? That's one of the biggest reasons to play the game right there!

Also, in reply to an earlier post from someone who replied to my earlier post, yes, they can look towards the remakes but the problem is, hardly anybody really wants to play 2D sprite based RPGs anymore. To them, the games are old and therefore, they suck. To that, I find that attitude deplorable considering that those old games made the Final Fantasy franchise what it is today.

Sorry, but without Final Fantasies I through VI, we wouldn't have had VII through XIII (and soon to be XIV). Hell, without the first Final Fantasy, Squaresoft wouldn't had survived as a company! So the classic series deserves some respect. It's not something to laugh off.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
Viva la FFIV!

Also....I've had some dickwads complain about Ex-Mode and accessories here and there. My answer is the Puppeteer's Wheel; an accessory that, well, give me infinite Ex-Mode. Surprised
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Seriously all the Dissida complaining is making my head hurt. It's the best thing that's come from FF in a while if you ask me. And that includes the last game in the main franchise.

I never thought that the no supporting character thing was a big deal. Why is it that suddenly everyone hates Squall, Cloud, Zidane and Tidus? is it a "Some fangirls write fanfiction and draw doujin about these guys so we have to hate them now" thing?(Because if that's the case then I don't like Yuna and Tifa anymore either) I remember when most people liked at least one of them Confused
It's not like they skimped on anything, they took up all the space they could without making it the first(maybe?) 2 UMD disk game.

The battle system isn't bad at all and maybe it's because I've been hooked on SMT games for the last year and a half but unbalanced? I was thinking it was too easy.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
Exactly, princess. Dissidia in my opinion, lived up to all its hype. It was the biggest import of the holiday season last year, and it could very well be (if not already) the game that has saved the Playstation Portable. The game gives you a ton of play hours with all of its amazing features which is a great thing in this day and age of disposable gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if Dissidia even winds up ranking among the greatest fighting games ever made.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
Well count me as one fangirl who'll happily buy Dissidia for Zidane, Terra, and the fact that Romi Paku and Takahiro Sakurai do some voices. It looks a hell of a lot more entertaining for a fighting game than that old Energize game (I don't remember how it was spelt) I used to have.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Exactly, princess. Dissidia in my opinion, lived up to all its hype. It was the biggest import of the holiday season last year, and it could very well be (if not already) the game that has saved the Playstation Portable. The game gives you a ton of play hours with all of its amazing features which is a great thing in this day and age of disposable gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if Dissidia even winds up ranking among the greatest fighting games ever made.

Whoah, slow down there buddy. Dissidia is good, sure, but it's not Michael Bay Wins An Oscar-kind of good... From the top of my head in a quick burst, I could name at least five fighting games new and old that trump Dissidia in virtually every category...
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Whoah, slow down there buddy. Dissidia is good, sure, but it's not Michael Bay Wins An Oscar-kind of good... From the top of my head in a quick burst, I could name at least five fighting games new and old that trump Dissidia in virtually every category...

I wouldn't compare it to Michael Bay wining an Oscar. The game is good and has substance. Dissida excels because it's a RPG/Fighting game hybrid that does both well.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
...and even when the game strings along subplots about the villains, it's fluffier than even the dumbest parts of Kingdom Hearts II.

Even more than the Atlantica world? I'm finding that really hard to imagine.

I might pick up Dissidia when the price goes down, but I'm disappointed that you can't play as some of the other side characters in the series (Rikku, Auron, Yuffie, Tifa, etc.) and that this wasn't made for the PS3 instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
ninjaclown wrote:

From what I've gathered from people who are playing the game, they're now screaming UNBALANCE, TOO MANY ACCESORIES and NO-EX mode because it turns the tables against them. It's unbelievable that they would buy the game and play against others and not expect this to happen. And for one of those reasons, they're now saying the game sucks when in reality, they're just being a bunch of sore losers. Seriously, you want to play the game without accessories? That's one of the biggest reasons to play the game right there!

Also, in reply to an earlier post from someone who replied to my earlier post, yes, they can look towards the remakes but the problem is, hardly anybody really wants to play 2D sprite based RPGs anymore. To them, the games are old and therefore, they suck. To that, I find that attitude deplorable considering that those old games made the Final Fantasy franchise what it is today.

Sorry, but without Final Fantasies I through VI, we wouldn't have had VII through XIII (and soon to be XIV). Hell, without the first Final Fantasy, Squaresoft wouldn't had survived as a company! So the classic series deserves some respect. It's not something to laugh off.

I don't understand those who want to get rid of those accessories and such. It makes me think they were expecting a true fighting game, which is not the case for Dissidia at all. Going with that mind set of a true fighting game, and you will get disappointed and whine. Personally, I like that Dissidia is different. If I wanted to play a fighting game, I will.

And it does disappoint me that many don't want to play 2D games of old, heck there are even 2D games made today and people wouldn't touch them like their roaches. A real darn shame, as I think they are missing out. At least FFIII and FFIV they can play on 3D on the DS, but its still sad that they'll only play it if its 3D. I get the vibe of "cartoons are for kids" about that issue.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I never thought that the no supporting character thing was a big deal. Why is it that suddenly everyone hates Squall, Cloud, Zidane and Tidus? is it a "Some fangirls write fanfiction and draw doujin about these guys so we have to hate them now" thing?(Because if that's the case then I don't like Yuna and Tifa anymore either) I remember when most people liked at least one of them Confused

Zidane is awesome. Squall gets a bad rap. Cloud and Tidus are, and have always been, lame.

Also Tifa sucks and Yuna is just dull (and then she had her character thoroughly raped by X-2).
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I liked Yuna more then Aerith who was even more boring but has a gazillion fanboys. I would love to see Rikku in there somewhere though. And why is FFXII always ignored like it didn't happen? Yes Vaan sucked but Ashe, Penelo, Fran, Balthier and even Larsa were good characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4