• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tarō Asō to Step Down as Head of Defeated Ruling Party

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Yukio Hatoyama looks like a Japanese George Bush. Rofl.

But at least Japan doesn't have any of that Republican/Conservative crap. Their two most powerful parties are both Democratic/Liberal? LOL, another reason why I wish America was more like Japan.

The party called Democratic is actually conservative. It's still Conservative/Liberal. Remember, democratic does not necessarily mean liberal. Democratic = of a democracy.
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Now, just what does this have to with with anime or manga?

ANN is now a website that reports on all things Japan?

Seriously!!! The majority of Japanese in Japan are anime and manga or otaku fans. It feels like I'm visiting the Japan Times website.

It's nice to see that ANN has degenerated from a website that "USED" to report on the world of anime and manga.

If I recall correctly, isn't Taro Aso the guy who goes around telling everyone he's a manga fan?

That's the connection.

(P.S. The last sentence there doesn't make sense. How do you degenerate from a site that USED to do something? Then you're not degenerating at all. Either change "degenerated from" to "degenerated to" or get rid of the "USED to" and make "report" past tense.)
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
Since it won't be news here by itself, just have to comment on the replacement of a Japanese prime minister who likes manga with one whose wife says she was abducted by aliens to Venus (green and beautiful planet, of course) and various other hilarious but dead serious claims. Not to mention the PM himself seduced her away from her first husband.

Ah, politics... always entertaining.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Not to mention the PM himself seduced her away from her first husband.

Yukio is called "alien" because of his bulging eyes. I'm not sure if his wife made fun of his nickname (and how they met) on purpose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
I just find it funny that this surfaces right after Aso's replacement, when he was considered to have a "politically incorrect" hobby (or to be bragging too much about it). The fact that she published her abduction claims and even stranger stuff in a book confirms she wasn't joking about that, though she may have joked about his nickname. Which would mean they have a good sense of humor, and that's a positive at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4