• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Natsu no Arashi! Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I liked School Rumble...for a while. I'm pretty interested in hearing about something more...restrained...from the same author.

Casey Brienza wrote:
(-)There isn't really a well-defined beginning, middle, and end, so those looking for quick resolution will be (mildly) disappointed.

Maybe not a minus after all?
sugoimikey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I just finished this show yesterday, and I must say that I completely agree with this review. I expected more of a harem-esque series when i saw the promotional art, but it turned out to have alot more originality than i expected. Shinbo's direction and humor can get sorta crazy, but it was balanced nicely with the more serious parts dealing with the war.

Let's hope crunchyroll will have the next season simulcast!!!
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
Really nice to see Arashi! get such a favorable review. I, too, liked how it avoided falling into typical harem trappings and agree that the show, in the wrong hands, would have failed miserably. The art, its style, and score, along with the songs, were great and befitting of the story, but where I would deviate from the reviewer would be on the characters, (who I thought were all interesting) and on the animation quality, which I thought was quite good given its style (though there were discrepancies). Similarly, I thought that the character designs were one of the most appealing aspects of the production. While the "sexiness" is a bit overstated, I do think that the voice acting deserves some note, as the cast did a very good job.

Natsu no Arashi! was probably my favorite show of the spring, so I'm definitely looking forwards to this fall's continuation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
sounds interesting I like most of Shaft's anime so I think I will watch this.

only thing is I didn't like School Rumble, and if it's done in the same style I may not want to watch it all. But the plot looks nice so
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
Man this review's all over the place. Also, is there anything Casey is just average about? She's either for or against but I've never seen her inbetween.

As for the show, I think this review is a little too kind. For a comedy, I wasn't laughing all that much. The end moments with the psuedo-lesbians (I thought they were sisters half the series) were probably my favorite parts, or any time Sayaka went off on a random tangent. God she was awesome. Need more of her. Bring on Season 2!
DFBTG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
Honestly, the thought to watch this never even crossed my mind. But after reading this review, and given it being on CR, I think I may just have to add another show to my 100+ list of anime to watch. And I was finally making some good headway...
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I hope CrunchyRoll will get the distribution rights of this.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I hope CrunchyRoll will get the distribution rights of this.

By "distribution rights" you mean actually releasing DVDs and such?
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I mean digital distribution. That is, they would sub the second seasone and stream it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I thought the show was only middlin', and thus my least favorite SHAFT series ever.

I'm with Splitter on the comedy. I was expecting it to be more... funny. Instead it was just kind of wacky in the way that you see when someone is trying too hard to compensate for lack of genuinely funny material. The drama was nice, but SHAFT has done drama significantly better, too.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I thought the show was only middlin', and thus my least favorite SHAFT series ever.

I'm with Splitter on the comedy. I was expecting it to be more... funny. Instead it was just kind of wacky in the way that you see when someone is trying too hard to compensate for lack of genuinely funny material. The drama was nice, but SHAFT has done drama significantly better, too.

You clearly haven't seen the 2006 Negima!? remake. That is the WORST SHAFT series in history and I agree with the significantly better drama. Ef = best Shaft drama series there is...possibly best overall.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

You clearly haven't seen the 2006 Negima!? remake. That is the WORST SHAFT series in history and I agree with the significantly better drama. Ef = best Shaft drama series there is...possibly best overall.

1) I said least favorite, well aware that I was making a subjective judgment.
2) You don't know me very well, do you?
unellmay..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
A stream review?
ANN must be running low on money

but saw this when it came out
twas very good
Oh how I love shaft possible IS the best animation company ever Smile

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

1) I said least favorite, well aware that I was making a subjective judgment.
2) You don't know me very well, do you?

Hey you have the same opinion as me Very Happy
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
This is a really interesting series. It remind me of the new manga Ane Doki in the aspect of a 13-year-old boy falling for an older teenage girl.
James_xeno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I know this is old but.. Finally got around to seeing it after almost ignoring and boy am I glad I did. This series is truly a gem, it may not have the flash or serious tone of other series but that's a good thing here. It's wacky but not too much so or nonsensical, with just the right amount of humor and drama. The characters aren't just interesting but also fun, unique and lovable. (and the girls pretty cute) Just a fun and unique series all around. Without being overly dramatic or complex. And thankfully not being slice of life either. We need more series like this that don't fall into the trap of SoL.

Also those opening credits are spectacular and sexy as hell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1