• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NY Comic Con, NY Anime Fest to Share Same Weekend in 2010

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
So, it's essentially reverting to an SDCC-type setup? I wonder if NYAF wasn't pulling enough of a crowd or something?
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's a lot of fan crossover. But I think this will be a logical and comical nightmare. I truly think this will be a failure due to too many people.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
What you said Viga makes sense. But this many people is minute compared to hundreds of thousands of people at Comiket.
Starre257

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
When I was in NY, I used to go to those cons, and honestly, they were my worst con experiences.

I'm in Ohio for college now, and I'm kind of glad I'm not going to be in NY for that time.
Agoston

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Starre257 wrote:
When I was in NY, I used to go to those cons, and honestly, they were my worst con experiences.

I'm curious, why were they so bad?
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
One less trip to Javits Center makes me smile Smile

I'd say 90% of the complaints people have about NYAF can be sourced back to the fact it's held in the Javits Center.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, except I foresee a giant logistical nightmare. This is going to take a lot of careful planning to be done right. Anime smile + sweatdrop
MetatronM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Awesome, except I foresee a giant logistical nightmare. This is going to take a lot of careful planning to be done right. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I don't see why. Last year NYAF was just in one little wing of the Javits Center, and some medical con or something was going on elsewhere while a large portion of the place went unused that weekend altogether.

Shouldn't be hard at all to do both at the same time.

The only difficulty I can see would be for exhibitors who typically attend both, who will either have to have two booths or just pick one and go with it. Which wouldn't really be an issue anyway, since it's all under one ticket.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
When Fandoms Collide! It sounds like fun to me, but will it inspire tension or encourage peace between fans who dislike graphic fictional works from certain parts of the world? Time will tell. Smile
jsieczka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
bayoab wrote:

I don't see why. Last year NYAF was just in one little wing of the Javits Center, and some medical con or something was going on elsewhere while a large portion of the place went unused that weekend altogether.

The only difficulty I can see would be for exhibitors who typically attend both, who will either have to have two booths or just pick one and go with it. Which wouldn't really be an issue anyway, since it's all under one ticket.

The dealers room and artists alley are the same room for both cons. So now instead of making two trips the vendors only need to make one trip. and have both of the crowds.

As for having issues do to the size, it will not be much of an issue. These are not fan run cons Reed Exhibitors is one of the largest convention management firms in the world, they put on a few 100K+ shows every year.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:

Just Manhattan logistics can be a bitch, but I've worked/attended a few Javits-hosted events over the years. I thought the facilities and management were good compared to most, never had any issues with Javits itself. Haven't attended this event in particular.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I think its a pretty nice idea. 2 cons for probably the price of 1 & 1/2. And maybe all the twilight fans will discover that Vampire Knights series...

And maybe we will get some hilarious con pics.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:

Just Manhattan logistics can be a bitch, but I've worked/attended a few Javits-hosted events over the years. I thought the facilities and management were good compared to most, never had any issues with Javits itself. Haven't attended this event in particular.

It's not Manhattan logistics, though. It's 12th avenue logistics. It's just too far from everything: restaurants, subway stations, hotels, etc. The closest avenue with decent stuff on it is 8th avenue and even that's pretty miserable. And the walk to 8th avenue is the opposite of scenic, unless you like looking at bus terminals and the on-ramp to the Lincoln tunnel :\

People think of Manhattan as everything available at your fingertips, but unfortunately Javits is the complete opposite.

That being said, there is no alternative in the city so what can you do. :X
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:

The problem isn't fitting them in. It's controlling and managing the resulting chaos. Also, NYCC and NYAF have different policies on various things which is going to make it even more chaotic.

Quote:
One would assume they would have a "merged" exhibition hall.

jsieczka wrote:
As for having issues do to the size, it will not be much of an issue. These are not fan run cons Reed Exhibitors is one of the largest convention management firms in the world, they put on a few 100K+ shows every year.
The problem with size at most anime cons is completely different from the ones Reed experiences. Reed has crowd control issues which are very apparent at NYAF and only somewhat better at NYCC. Combine this with the tendency at anime cons for people to stop to take pictures in the middle of everything and you get one further chaotic situation.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I always laugh a little inside when I see "Javits Center," because I go to Stony Brook and that's the name of our lecture hall building. Everyone here has to say Jacob Javits Center if they want people to know you're talking about the convention center.

If tickets aren't too expensive, I could easily see myself going in 2010. The two individual events didn't quite have me excited enough to deal with the logistical nightmare and monetary issue, but together they're quite enticing, especially if I can stay with one of my NYU friends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3