• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Where Has Love Gone? GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
Aw, I'm gonna miss those dustjackets... Sad
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
I actually bought this one recently. I thought it was ok. The other one I bought at the same time, "Hey, Sensei" turned out to be better. Thanks for clearing up the issue of the stand-alone story cause when I read it, I couldn't figure out if it was part of the story or something different. It just appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the manga with no breaks or anything to indicate it was a seperate story.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least one of the character is actually gay. Still though, I hate the whole "I'm not gay, I just really dig you!" thing. I'd like to read a decent manga about gay men who are actually gay. I know that sounded weird, but I'm looking for something "realistic" ya know what I mean?
LunaSlashSea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I have never understood why authors say their own works are bad. Sure, if your looking back at 20 year career and reviewing how you've grown that's alright but for something you've written recently? Why not just say "Don't even bother reading this."

BTW, you wrote "an unexpected" twice in a sentance mid-way through the synopsis.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, this is a bit of a letdown, since I currently have this on order with Amazon (one of the hazards of blind-buying). Part of the plus for me was actually the "not-accidentally-gay" thing, as Casey mentions, but it's too bad it's otherwise unremarkable. Looking forward to the stand-alone story then, I guess. I think I also ordered another title by the same author (Exotic & Delicious Fate), so hopefully that one is better. *shrug*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I read it. Don't worry, it's not super-awesome but it's not as horrible as the review makes it out to be. The story and art is average but the sex scenes sorta make up for it. (Always a plus in my book! Very Happy )
A bit off topic but I just got Breath Vol. 1 recently and really liked it. Unfortunately, I just read that vol. 2 was censored due to a flashback sex scene when one of the characters was a teenager. Yet, the editors describe what happened in the missing scenes in the back of the book! Apparently this is the fall-out from that Handley case.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I read it. Don't worry, it's not super-awesome but it's not as horrible as the review makes it out to be.
Well, she did say it wasn't the worst BL title brought over, though that seems like damning it with faint praise. Laughing I just thought I remembered the reviews on Amazon being pretty good, which is why I bought it without having read it in scanalation form (or maybe I had a wee bit too much to drink while ordering-- drunk-buying is worse than blind-buying, perhaps).

Quote:
A bit off topic but I just got Breath Vol. 1 recently and really liked it. Unfortunately, I just read that vol. 2 was censored due to a flashback sex scene when one of the characters was a teenager. Yet, the editors describe what happened in the missing scenes in the back of the book! Apparently this is the fall-out from that Handley case.
I got Breath v01 a while ago but just didn't like it enough to buy subsequent volumes. But I'm still curious now as to what the editors decided to cut and why. Do you know, rinmackie, did they explicitly say it was because of the Handley case? What I mean is, did they actually say something to the effect of, "This is to cover our arses in regards to obscenity laws," or something to that effect?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
No, but some of the reviewers felt that might have been the case. I liked the first volume of Breath but I'm not sure I'll get the others. Well, maybe I will even though I sorta spoiled the story by reading the reviews. Hope it goes beyond 3 volumes though cause the ending wasn't that great. Course, there is apparently less sex in the other volumes which is sorta a letdown since I read yaoi for the story and the smut.

The weird thing is the first scene in volume one is from the censored flashback. I really wish they had left it in, especially since they describe in graphic detail what they couldn't show in a drawing. So apparently describing sex between teenage boys is ok but a pen and ink drawing of it is not. How stupid is that? Rolling Eyes
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
No, but some of the reviewers felt that might have been the case.
The weird thing is the first scene in volume one is from the censored flashback.
Well that's sort of curious, then. I wish I had my copy of v01 with me so I could see what was so scandalous about it (though I'd guess the v02 flashback is probably longer/more graphic). Maybe it's back to the strange days of "college" boys sporting high school uniforms and such... Laughing Which seems silly, but I guess it doesn't bother me that much if they just age everybody a few years. But honestly, I'd probably be pretty unhappy too if "they" decided to edit/censor a title I was actually following (though it's hard to be mad at people who just want to bring us BL while avoiding any possible legal trouble). Thanks for the info, rinmackie.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
I remember skimming through this online somewhere. I rolled my eyes at several pages. I'm not surprised it got a bad review. Most yaoi honestly deserves it. The summary was terrible as well. I was bored though. I tend to do stupid things when I'm bored. Like reading this manga for example. The whole possessive seme and fall in love with the bastard cliche gets so freaking old its almost unintentionally hilarious. I like plot and interesting characters in my BL. Its so rare sadly. I can practically predict a characters personality and what will happen from their design alone.

Where has the love gone indeed?

*sips tea*

Well I'll be looking for something worthy of my glorious time if you need me. The endless search continues. I heard some good things about Kyuuso Ha Cheese no Yume Omiru. Lets see how that goes shall we?

Good day.

*tips hat*
johnmora

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Well, at least one of the character is actually gay. Still though, I hate the whole "I'm not gay, I just really dig you!" thing. I'd like to read a decent manga about gay men who are actually gay. I know that sounded weird, but I'm looking for something "realistic" ya know what I mean?

Read "bara" manga, then. Written by gay men for gay men. Doesn't get any gayer than that!
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:

There's always Fumi Yoshinaga's Moon and Sandals, Civil Law or even Gerard and Jacques.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1