• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! 10th Anniversary Anime to Be Film in 2010

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinbashi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
This seems so bizarre... and yet the part of me that loved yugioh in junior high is super excited for this Laughing
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
This is going to be so bad but this is going to be so awesome.
Satiety

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quote
lol... wow, I don't know what to think of this. Haven't watched 5D's at all, never liked the previous one, and the first one was the best. Haha... heart of the cards galore Laughing
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUUUEELLLLLL!!!!!!

Anime hyper Man, that statement better be in the movie. I doubt I will see it in theaters, but who knows. If I remember correctly, Yugi (or was it Yami Anime dazed) showed up in the second series.

I can't see how they are going to pull this off, without some lame "hey let's all transport to ancient Egypt! Duel!"
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the first 2 Yugioh incarnations are linked and in the same time period. But I don't get how they are gonna work that motorcycle one into the timeline. I always thought it was in the future...

"I finally figured out what the 'D's' in 5D's stands for. Don't Watch It!" - Yami
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
I like Yu-Gi-Oh (The first Duel Monsters series is the best) and will watch this when it comes out.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
shinbashi wrote:
This seems so bizarre... and yet the part of me that loved yugioh in junior high is super excited for this Laughing

^Same here man. Smile
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
Anime like this is acquired taste to some and immediately lovable to others. The first series I say was the latter and the next 2 the former.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
this really seems like something LK is going to make fun of
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
This is going to be so bad but at the same time it is going to be all kinds of awesome. Laughing
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
I like how people haven't even seen 5D's, yet claim it to be shit. Thanks for taking LK's jokes literally. I guess mass-merchandising shounen series will be "cool and trendy" only if someone makes an outstanding parody of it.

On topic, I'm glad this is actually coming out in a movie instead of just an OVA. It's an awesome concept (especially with the amount of DECK STACKING and HEART OF THE CARDS that can go down), since anime doesn't do crossovers that often, even of franchises. I guess Kamen Rider Decade was a profitable idea.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
I like how people haven't even seen 5D's, yet claim it to be shit. Thanks for taking LK's jokes literally. I guess mass-merchandising shounen series will be "cool and trendy" only if someone makes an outstanding parody of it.

Wow settle down. I just liked that joke is all. And really, can you really make a abridged series with so many in jokes and self awareness without liking the series before hand? Unless you like torturing yourself, I doubt it.

I've seen up till... what.. episode 26 in subs of 5d's? Still got 20 some to go. I'll get to them eventually. Anyways its just one of those obvious type of jokes where really, when you watch the series, you do ask yourself "Hey, what do the 5 D's stand for?" They don't really give you an idea until what, episode 10+? Unless you made a good guess by episode 5 and vindicated by later episodes for a good guess.

5 d's is okay for me. The Motorcycles seem completely unnesscary but whatever, I get why they are there. The art style is great; reminiscent of when Yugioh was in its haydays. GX's quality dropped fairly early and didn't pick up again until towards the end when they shifted story style similar to the darker style the original had. Which probably allowed for 5D's to exist now. But it does do the best at making cards that would work without changing them too much to work in real life. At least that's the impression I got before I stopped playing. I don't know anything about the newer cards.

But as fans, you gotta be able to joke and take jokes about it. Cause, their on motorcycles... playing cards. Although it be kind of neat to see one guy lose his card, then during the climax he scoops it back up or it flies back to him or her when they lap around for a comeback victory.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
crh1985

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
can't wait but i bet there will be a fusion of Dark Magician, Elemental Hero Neos, and Junk Warrior
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Tatsu, I just watched episode 76 today. The dub is up to episode 52. You have 26 episodes to catch up in the dub and nearly twice as much in the Japanese.
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I mean, filler is bad enough. But FILLER CROSSOVERS?! Sheesh...

But what else is new? All these new Yuugiou based franchises have long ago lost the spirit of the original manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2